The Criterion Channel

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

The Criterion Channel

Postby Sith_Mafia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:30 pm

Criterion just launched their own movie streaming service. It's a niche movie service for classic, foreign, arthouse type films.

I collect criterion blurays so this is pretty awesome for me. so many i want to see. most films include all the extras that would normally be on a dvd/bluray. there's a free month long trial if you want to check it out, although the amount of devices available is kind of limited for a streaming service. There's no PS4 app and chromecast isn't working yet. I bought a firestick just for this and it works well on there.

https://www.vulture.com/amp/article/criterion-channel-best-movies-streaming.html

http://www.criterionchannel.com
-Casey

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: The Criterion Channel

Postby Ikoma » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:46 pm

That is cool! I'll probably wait until the viewing apps show up on consoles since that is where I do most of my watching, but I'll be keeping this in mind.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 am

Ikoma wrote:That is cool! I'll probably wait until the viewing apps show up on consoles since that is where I do most of my watching, but I'll be keeping this in mind.

unfortunately i don't think console apps are in the works, their former service filmstruck never got them despite many complaints. best solution for now is to get a $40 firestick or roku. i might just sell mine if chromecast becomes supported.

Watched 2 movies over the weekend on it with no problems. Starting with some horror movies that i havn't seen yet.

Funny Games (1997 - Austria) - I had seen the american remake so I knew what to expect, but as usual the original was better. if you like horror/torture movies watch this without reading anything about it. :twisted:

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970 - Czech) - very strange surrealist horror movie following a young teen girl. i couldn't really follow the plot, but great cinematography. a bit like watching a lynch movie, there are symbols, and face changers, and vampires. :thumbup: :thumbup:
-Casey

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:06 pm

How much is the subscription?

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks
Have you found the yellow sign?

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 am

tombombodil wrote:How much is the subscription?

10.99 a month, or 99.99 for the year. There was a promo for signing up early which dropped it to 89.99 a year.

I dropped showtime and added this, which will get much more use.
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:35 am

documenting what i watch so I can see how often I end up using it. Will also highlight what's available to watch if anyone else is interested. To start I'm only watching films I havn't seen before.

Fantastic Planet (1973, France) - A brightly animated scifi tale of Oms (humans) and Draags (blue alien giants). Draggs use us as pets and slaves until we become too smart that we learn their language and organize. Thoroughly enjoyed this. I kept thinking that someone could probably make a shot for shot remake of it in live action/cgi and it would look pretty good these days.

I started two other movies over the weekend, but havn't finished them yet.
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:43 am

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1978 - US) - Follows a LA club owner who gets in gambling debt with the mob. To pay off his debt he is forced to kill. It's pretty slow and focuses way too much on the club itself, which ends up having nothing to really do with the plot. This is the 1978 version which was a director's cut and actually shortened the movie by a half hour over the 1976 version. I can't imagine watching a longer version. The middle third of the movie is interesting and it is shot well, but I can't recommend it.
Last edited by Sith_Mafia on Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 am

The Red Shoes (1948 - UK) Behind the scenes of the new red shoes ballet, this follows the star, the composer and the director. It's intriguing as they all try to balance their desires. The technicolor really pops and I imagine in the 40s this was revolutionary. It's a bit like a soap opera, but with a big ballet number in the middle.

Lick the Star (1998 - US) This a short film by Sofia Coppola, her first director credit. It follows 7th grade girls in school as they come up with a plan to poison the boys, codename lick the star, which they say backwards is kill the rats, but it's really kcil eht rats... anyway, its a nice debut and similar to her other movies
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Wed May 01, 2019 7:43 am

The Elephant Man (1980 - US) This was the only David Lynch feature film that I havn't seen, and it's quite a bit different from his others. Follows the true story of a badly deformed man who was a sideshow and then discovered by a doctor. His quest to have a normal life. Very emotional and sad. Great performances by John Hurt and a young Anthony Hopkins.

I made it through 7 new movies in the first month, that's a lot more than I use other streaming services. No issues with playback at all. I heard they are working on chromecast support so it might come sooner than I thought.
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu May 09, 2019 7:39 am

Chungking Express (1994 - Hong Kong) Two stories of Chinese police officers after their recent breakups. It's shot very colorfully and modern with a mix of slo mo, handheld, and traditional cameras. It's a bit hard to follow how the two love stories interconnect, or why they even need to, but it's still technically impressive and entertaining, especially the second story.

Also I randomly watched this on May 1st, which is a significant date in the film. It was really weird.

I also watched a bunch of the david lynch shorts, and they're about as weird as expected.
The Amputee (1974 - US) is just absurd and I love it. It's just 5 minutes of a woman trying to write a letter while her nurse keeps messing with her stumps, while she completely ignores him. :crazy: This could be a scene right out of twin peaks

With the Blues still in the NHL playoffs I have slowed down on movies for the time being, so i might not get to as many this month.
-Casey

Return to “Moving Pictures”