TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Re: TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:14 am

tombombodil wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
Wayne wrote:Star Trek the Next Generation got much better as it went on. If we don't mention the movies.

Agreed, and I'd add DS9 to that as another Star Trek series that started mediocre and just got better and better.
Definitely. I think that part of it might be that DS9 was more about the characters and their lives and interactions with the setting than with high concept sci-fi stories, so as the characters got more and more developed, the show got better and better.

In part, yes, but for me I think it was more the fact that they had a lot of long-term developments involving whole cultures and races than the individuals who represented them. We got to see a lot more of those cultures than we did in any of the more episodic series in the ST franchise. Add to that the inter-stellar war involving at least five key races from the ST universe, and you have a winning formula. But I guess the earlier character-building also helped to make that work better, since by then we cared about the people involved as well.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Person of Interest:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

ad1066
I am the story stick

Postby ad1066 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:26 am

Breaking Bad was good from beginning to end. On a completely different note, my roommate and I are going through Malcolm in the Middle, and it's been pretty consistently good.

Maybe I just really like Bryan Cranston.

-- Ben
Ben Morgan
ad1066 AT gmail thingy

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:36 pm

Nope. Malcolm in the Middle really was great. All the way from beginning to end.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:56 am

remember that weird show the OA, it was like first two episodes were ok, next 5 episodes were awesome, last two episodes were terrible. i can't think of another show like that
-Casey

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:49 pm

Just finished the second season of Lore and it definitely improved. It went from essentially a video podcast with good actors doing poor re-enactments (like a not-funny Drunk History) to being a series of short films loosely based on folklore and/or historic events, and was much improved as a result.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:29 pm

anthroslug wrote:Just finished the second season of Lore and it definitely improved. It went from essentially a video podcast with good actors doing poor re-enactments (like a not-funny Drunk History) to being a series of short films loosely based on folklore and/or historic events, and was much improved as a result.

That's good to know. I gave season one a chance but it was - as you say - not really deep. I'll check back in based on this review.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:39 pm

Ikoma wrote:
anthroslug wrote:Just finished the second season of Lore and it definitely improved. It went from essentially a video podcast with good actors doing poor re-enactments (like a not-funny Drunk History) to being a series of short films loosely based on folklore and/or historic events, and was much improved as a result.

That's good to know. I gave season one a chance but it was - as you say - not really deep. I'll check back in based on this review.

Some episodes are better than others, and all put drama ahead of historic accuracy, but I found it enjoyable. The last episode is my favorite, though the true story there is both stranger and funnier than the dramatized version.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

Return to “Moving Pictures”