TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12152
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Postby tombombodil » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:21 am

Some posts recommending specific seasons of shows got me thinking about this. What are some shows that maintained a mostly consistent level of quality all the way through or even got better.

Now obviously all shows have some dips and fluctuations in quality even from episode to episode, so this is more about the general trend of quality in production, writing and acting.



Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

nanoboy
Teller of gaming stories
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Postby nanoboy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:50 am

Agents of SHIELD had a rough first season (though it turned around late in the season.) Seasons 2-4 were quite good, and even the under-funded Season 5 was better than the early first season.

User avatar
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title
Posts: 22715
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:38 am
Location: Louisville KY
Contact:

Re: TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Postby clintmemo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:27 am

nanoboy wrote:Agents of SHIELD had a rough first season (though it turned around late in the season.) Seasons 2-4 were quite good, and even the under-funded Season 5 was better than the early first season.

Season 1 was pretty mediocre until the last 1/3 of it - and then it was excellent.
Season 2 was better than the first 2/3 of season 1 but was never as good as the last 1/3
Season 3 was better than Season 2
Season 4 was the best overall season
Season 5 was good - probably the second best overall season
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

User avatar
Wayne
Host
Posts: 8142
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Postby Wayne » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Caprica started horribly but got good as it went on especially after the first season.
Star Trek the Next Generation got much better as it went on. If we don't mention the movies.
Eureka was good beginning to end


Cartoons:
Star Wars Rebels
Avatar the last Airbender
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

nanoboy
Teller of gaming stories
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Postby nanoboy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Wayne wrote:Avatar the last Airbender

Is it really even fair to include what is arguably the best television show of all time?

User avatar
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear
Posts: 27582
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Postby Azhrei Vep » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:50 pm

nanoboy wrote:
Wayne wrote:Avatar the last Airbender

Is it really even fair to include what is arguably the best television show of all time?

It sure as hell doesn't look like it for the first half a season or so.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

User avatar
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit
Posts: 46332
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:23 am
Location: Great Britain

Re: TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Wayne wrote:Star Trek the Next Generation got much better as it went on. If we don't mention the movies.

Agreed, and I'd add DS9 to that as another Star Trek series that started mediocre and just got better and better.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

User avatar
keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!
Posts: 9003
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington
Contact:

Re: TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Postby keithcurtis » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:39 pm

Firefly. One of the benefits of a short lifespan.
Angel

Monty Python's Flying Circus. ;)

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12152
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Postby tombombodil » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:46 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Wayne wrote:Star Trek the Next Generation got much better as it went on. If we don't mention the movies.

Agreed, and I'd add DS9 to that as another Star Trek series that started mediocre and just got better and better.
Definitely. I think that part of it might be that DS9 was more about the characters and their lives and interactions with the setting than with high concept sci-fi stories, so as the characters got more and more developed, the show got better and better.

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear
Posts: 27582
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: TV shows that got better or stayed great (mostly) all the way through

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:18 am

tombombodil wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
Wayne wrote:Star Trek the Next Generation got much better as it went on. If we don't mention the movies.

Agreed, and I'd add DS9 to that as another Star Trek series that started mediocre and just got better and better.
Definitely. I think that part of it might be that DS9 was more about the characters and their lives and interactions with the setting than with high concept sci-fi stories, so as the characters got more and more developed, the show got better and better.

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks

Until it collapsed in on itself in some kind of gross singularity of failure in the last season, anyway.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress


Return to “Moving Pictures”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests