Random Moving Pictures Thoughts

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Random Moving Pictures Thoughts

Postby tombombodil » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:54 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:Ummm... so John Oliver is talking about my local news station on his show...

The Tunkhannock Viaduct is on the train model they built... that's not in Scranton, that's like 25 miles away from Scranton... exactly where I live. I basically lived under that thing in my last apartment, the main street of our town shuts down one day every September for 'Bridge Days' (which was yesterday)...

And now it's been represented on a national TV show.

Am I in a bizzaro universe?

Sometimes it happens. We have a yearly Tulip festival that's world famous to people who care about that kind of thing.
Have you found the yellow sign?

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:03 pm

I feel like despite all the praise the LotR i feel like not enough people are vociferous about their praise for the soundtrack. It's amazingly good, and is extremely holistic and thematically appropriate much like the entire trilogy. The palate choices for each theme is perfect, and the music is beautiful, and ominous, and terrifying, and sad, and uplifting. One thing in particular about it is how perfect each regional theme is. Both in terms of compositional choices and raw execution. The happy flutes and fiddles of the Shire, the ethereal choir and gently noble strings and flutes of Rivendale, the wistful but energetic strings of Rohan, the proud and regal brass of Gondor, the pounding oppressive and menacing strings and percussion and horns of Morder.

It's as staggering an achievement as every other aspect of those films, but I guess because it's so holistic and is so deliberately subservient (in a good, effective way) to the story and themes that it kind of necessarily doesn't draw as much attention to itself.

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 pm

tombombodil wrote:
DistinctlyBenign wrote:Ummm... so John Oliver is talking about my local news station on his show...

The Tunkhannock Viaduct is on the train model they built... that's not in Scranton, that's like 25 miles away from Scranton... exactly where I live. I basically lived under that thing in my last apartment, the main street of our town shuts down one day every September for 'Bridge Days' (which was yesterday)...

Sometimes it happens. We have a yearly Tulip festival that's world famous to people who care about that kind of thing.

Predictably our news station did a segment on John Oliver's segment, with about half of the people calling in saying they need to go get that train immediately, and half saying that 'Those big shots in New York are making fun of us! We don't need their train!'.

I think the station is going to get it though.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 pm

The first Kingsman movie is currently 3.99 on amazon both to Rent and to Purchase :think:

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:32 am

DistinctlyBenign wrote:
tombombodil wrote:

Predictably our news station did a segment on John Oliver's segment, with about half of the people calling in saying they need to go get that train immediately, and half saying that 'Those big shots in New York are making fun of us! We don't need their train!'.

I think the station is going to get it though.

The Train saga seems to have come to a close. I may have to go to the train museum to go see it. I have not been there... since my sophomore year field trip. Damn, he was right about that one.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 made more domestically than Spider-Man: Homecoming. Who could have predicted that ten years ago?

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:06 pm

I want to have already finished watching Stranger Things season 2.

Like, its a good show. I like it. But when I get a second free from school work I don't want to invest myself in a show I want to actually pay attention to, I want to zone out and play video games. Maybe I'll actually get around to watching it when this semester ends, mid December...

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:33 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:I want to have already finished watching Stranger Things season 2.

Like, its a good show. I like it. But when I get a second free from school work I don't want to invest myself in a show I want to actually pay attention to, I want to zone out and play video games. Maybe I'll actually get around to watching it when this semester ends, mid December...

we're just watching 1 ep a night. there's only 9 episodes and they're less than an hour. compared to most tv seasons its pretty small time commitment
-Casey

clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs

Postby clintmemo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:27 pm

So we are apparently getting a live action Star Wars TV show and a live action Middle Earth TV show?
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:42 pm

clintmemo wrote:So we are apparently getting a live action Star Wars TV show and a live action Middle Earth TV show?

Awww... I was hoping Rebels' replacement would be another cartoon. Preferably set between the original trilogy and the new one.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Return to “Moving Pictures”