Random Moving Pictures Thoughts

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
tombombodil
3 for 3

Random Moving Pictures Thoughts

Postby tombombodil » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:24 pm

One thing really bugs the hell out of me is the "person slowly bleeding out from a wound whose severity is very vaguely defined" from which they could die at the most convenient or inconvenient time, or whenever the story writer needs them to in order to raise the stakes, tie up a loose end, or introduce an invisible ticking clock which we can't actually see ticking down.

I'm not even saying it necessarily creates narrative dissonance or breaks immersion; what it does is create an annoyingly easy cop-out that makes it basically impossible for a true contradiction/plot hole to occur because "well he was bleeding out and there's a million different factors that can contribute to how long that takes, the neat coincidence that he lived exactly as long as the plot needed him to doesn't make those events unreasonable in the context of the world the narrative takes place in". So maybe it doesn't necessarily make it unreasonable. It does however make it insufferable.

This is turning into a kind of directionless ramble so let me wrap up by summarizing: The aforementioned scenario is, in my opinion, lazy screen writing for all of the aforementioned reasons. And I appreciate it when a show or movie finds a more creative, and easily quantifiable way to organically raise the tension of a story arc or sequence.
Have you found the yellow sign?

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Re: Random Moving Pictures Thoughts

Postby clintmemo » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:21 am

I'm not sure you can know how long it will take for someone to bleed out. Given that, having them bleed out at the perfect time feels like Deus Ex Machina. Having them bleed out at a random time might feel better because then the plot point becomes their bleeding out. Having them not bleed out might feel like wasted drama - sort of like Chekhov's Gun - except not a gun - Checkov's wound? If a person has a fatal injury in act 1, they better be dead before the movie's over?
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:23 pm

clintmemo wrote:I'm not sure you can know how long it will take for someone to bleed out. Given that, having them bleed out at the perfect time feels like Deus Ex Machina. Having them bleed out at a random time might feel better because then the plot point becomes their bleeding out. Having them not bleed out might feel like wasted drama - sort of like Chekhov's Gun - except not a gun - Checkov's wound? If a person has a fatal injury in act 1, they better be dead before the movie's over?

I'd say the Coen brothers have the type of film where bleeding out at a random and unfortunate moment would be the standard mode. But in lots of films even "bleeding out randomly" tends to happen at a moment that's appropriate/sensible in terms of the pacing of the sequence, and while that might be more coherent on a pure cinema level, it still feels contrived.

Other random thought:

The Fellowship of the Ring is a staggeringly well-made film. To this day it blows me away that it's as good as it is. The first 20 minutes or so are just phenomenal and never fails to light that same spark they did when I first saw it, or indeed when my dad first read Fellowship to me when I as maybe 7 or 8.

ad1066
I am the story stick

Postby ad1066 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:34 am

tombombodil wrote:One thing really bugs the hell out of me is the "person slowly bleeding out from a wound whose severity is very vaguely defined" from which they could die at the most convenient or inconvenient time, or whenever the story writer needs them to in order to raise the stakes, tie up a loose end, or introduce an invisible ticking clock which we can't actually see ticking down.

I'm not even saying it necessarily creates narrative dissonance or breaks immersion; what it does is create an annoyingly easy cop-out that makes it basically impossible for a true contradiction/plot hole to occur because "well he was bleeding out and there's a million different factors that can contribute to how long that takes, the neat coincidence that he lived exactly as long as the plot needed him to doesn't make those events unreasonable in the context of the world the narrative takes place in". So maybe it doesn't necessarily make it unreasonable. It does however make it insufferable.

This is turning into a kind of directionless ramble so let me wrap up by summarizing: The aforementioned scenario is, in my opinion, lazy screen writing for all of the aforementioned reasons. And I appreciate it when a show or movie finds a more creative, and easily quantifiable way to organically raise the tension of a story arc or sequence.

This all also holds true for zombie movies in which getting bitten confers the condition (as opposed to zombie movies where dying in any fashion turns you into a zombie, and a bite is just another wound). Someone gets bitten, and sooner or later they'll turn into a zombie. However, how long that takes can vary wildly, and the only thing that's guaranteed is that it will happen at the most dramatic moment possible. It gets ridiculous when a main character gets bitten early on, but doesn't turn before the extra that got bitten later, but turns almost immediately.

-- Ben
Ben Morgan
ad1066 AT gmail thingy
Burn After Reading: Creative and Subversive Endeavors
Play Spookybeans, or Barzac will devour your head.

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:20 pm

I have discovered that the guy who made Fairly Oddparents and Danny Phantom has a YouTube channel.

A lot of the videos on his channel are like, interviews about his shows and stuff. But he does have a few cool videos of him drawing on there. He has one where he tries to draw Pokemon from vague descriptions and another where he draws modern cartoons in the Fairly OddParents Style.

I am probably more excited about finding this than I should be, but it's so fascinating to see an actual professional animator who has a bunch of shows to his name taking the time to doodle stuff like this for the internet, and talk about about the industry, which I obviously love.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:28 am

Dear supposed writers of the Supergirl Pilot,
Please turn over your paycheck to whatever ten year old that you actually had write the script or I will be forced to contact the writers guild ethics board.

Seriously this could not have been written more cliched, more by the numbers, and more completely predictable. I don't know why but it really started to piss me off. I hope the show grows up and gives us something actually creative.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:42 am

Magmoo wrote:Dear supposed writers of the Supergirl Pilot,
Please turn over your paycheck to whatever ten year old that you actually had write the script or I will be forced to contact the writers guild ethics board.

Seriously this could not have been written more cliched, more by the numbers, and more completely predictable. I don't know why but it really started to piss me off. I hope the show grows up and gives us something actually creative.

Don't worry. It gets worse.

Then it gets slightly better.

Then it goes straight to shit.

Then in the second season they're apparently writing out the one decent character they had. Wouldn't know, I refuse to subject myself to more Supergirl.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:22 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:

Then in the second season they're apparently writing out the one decent character they had. Wouldn't know, I refuse to subject myself to more Supergirl.

I assume you are referring to Cat Grant? I was disappointed that they made her a (non) repeating character. She was the best thing on the show.
They also tossed out the Kara/Jimmy Olson romance and moved the DEA into the city.
And now Kara's sister is coming out as gay - which would probably have been edgy on CBS or maybe 10 years ago, but today on the CW? It seems pretty by-the-numbers.
Also, Jimmy Olson is now a secret super-hero.
And there is another alien that is not-quote-Kryptonian.
And Cyborg-Superman.
And Miss Martian - sort of.
And Lena Luthor - she's actually pretty interesting.

And this week they way too conveniently wrapped up everything so that the last 5 minutes could be used to start the big four three episode crossover.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:07 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:

I assume you are referring to Cat Grant? I was disappointed that they made her a (non) repeating character. She was the best thing on the show.

Hell yeah, I meant Cat Grant. She wasn't just the best thing on the show, she was the only good thing on the show with a pulse.

... Kara's costume was pretty well-made. It's the only other good thing.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:00 pm

I found out about the show 'Westworld' today.

It sounds like it might be exactly the type of show I love an get completely obsessed with... or it might be the kind of show everyone else seems to like but I can't get into (Like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones).

I have not seen the original movie.

Has anyone seen this who can sway me one way or the other about using the free 30 day HBO on Amazon trial to watch it?
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Return to “Moving Pictures”