Avengers: Age of Ultron

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron

Postby Gyro LC » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:39 pm

Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

unwrittenart
Teller of gaming stories

Postby unwrittenart » Fri May 01, 2015 1:51 am

just finish watching Age of Ultron it was a good superhero movie.I like what they did with the characters give them more depth and I enjoy the writing more in this movie than I did the first Avengers .

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri May 01, 2015 4:44 pm

Yup. A really good Avengers film. I found the CGI in the first battle a little weak. But otherwise the effects and fighting were good. I felt like they spent most of the time developing the characters who do not get their own movies. So not much on the Cap and Thor front. But I still love Cap best. His first reaction to the twins was compassion and understanding. More development for Black Widow, Hawkeye (a LOT), Banner, & the twins. And I liked it all. I love how casually, the drop MCU characters in and out of these films now. With no explanations. You either know who Maria Hill, Falcon, War Machine, et. al. are or you are confused.

I think they made a wise decision letting Quicksilver die. They know how good the X-Men version was. They really needed a death to sell the stakes, and a Pietro death helped develop Wanda and Hawkeye. And I was really impressed with how they introduced the Vision. I had to put the science literate part of brain aside for the conclusion. I mean, yeah, you already have to put aside a lot of that when you are watching a movie about a man who can quadruple (at least) his mass, or survive 50g turns. But the idea that simply splitting the mass of rock and earth that Ultron had lifted up into bits with an explosion would make the resulting impact(s) significantly lower is... well, ridiculous.

After the movie, I had to field the usual variety of questions about the whole larger MCU plot and where these characters come from. I am happy with it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Fri May 01, 2015 6:03 pm

:agree: I loved the ongoing bits about Mjolnir. That look on Thor's face both times when Cap made it wobble, and when Vision handed it to him so matter-of-factly were awesome.
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat May 02, 2015 2:44 am

It's good. It's got the Joss trademark of excellent group dynamics, scene staging, and smart dialog. I'm pretty sure the only reason I wasn't wowed as much as I kind of hoped I'd be is just because most of this ground has been covered before by previous Marvel movies. I think Guardians of the Galaxy was better, and I know Winter Soldier was better, but it was sweeping and epic in a way only an Avenger's Movie can be, and I don't regret a single penny or minute I spent on it.

Ikoma wrote:I had to put the science literate part of brain aside for the conclusion. I mean, yeah, you already have to put aside a lot of that when you are watching a movie about a man who can quadruple (at least) his mass, or survive 50g turns. But the idea that simply splitting the mass of rock and earth that Ultron had lifted up into bits with an explosion would make the resulting impact(s) significantly lower is... well, ridiculous.

On the one hand, don't bring Newtonian physics to a mage fight (and this setting has established it has ancient space wizards), but on the other hand one meteoroid the size of a city crashing into the earth at faster than terminal velocity would cause less damage than a hundred thousand pieces the size of school buses falling to earth of their own accord. Still more damage than depicted unless you argue the explosion powderized a lot of it, but enough to turn total Armageddon into a tactical nuclear strike.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Sat May 02, 2015 10:20 am

tombombodil wrote:It's good. It's got the Joss trademark of excellent group dynamics, scene staging, and smart dialog. I'm pretty sure the only reason I wasn't wowed as much as I kind of hoped I'd be is just because most of this ground has been covered before by previous Marvel movies. I think Guardians of the Galaxy was better, and I know Winter Soldier was better, but it was sweeping and epic in a way only an Avenger's Movie can be, and I don't regret a single penny or minute I spent on it.

Ikoma wrote:I had to put the science literate part of brain aside for the conclusion. I mean, yeah, you already have to put aside a lot of that when you are watching a movie about a man who can quadruple (at least) his mass, or survive 50g turns. But the idea that simply splitting the mass of rock and earth that Ultron had lifted up into bits with an explosion would make the resulting impact(s) significantly lower is... well, ridiculous.

On the one hand, don't bring Newtonian physics to a mage fight (and this setting has established it has ancient space wizards), but on the other hand one meteoroid the size of a city crashing into the earth at faster than terminal velocity would cause less damage than a hundred thousand pieces the size of school buses falling to earth of their own accord. Still more damage than depicted unless you argue the explosion powderized a lot of it, but enough to turn total Armageddon into a tactical nuclear strike.

There are multiple factors here. The initial impact would have been greater than terminal velocity due to the engines pushing it into the Earth. Thus the individual pieces did not impact as hard as the city would have. Additionally yes based on the type explosion they were generating they were pretty clear that most of the city was going to be "powderized". The impact by being spread also would give greater area to absorb. I didn't have any problem with the physics of the scene keeping in mind that it is a comic book movie. They even addressed how the field was keeping the city in one piece which is the kind of thing a comic book movie would usually just ignore(Superman Returns).
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

nanoboy
Teller of gaming stories

Postby nanoboy » Sat May 02, 2015 11:31 am

I'm a scientist, so I can nitpick the hell out of sciency movie stuff, and sometimes I do. I put comic book stuff into the same category as fantasy so far as science accuracy expectations go, though. It's not worth worrying about.

Movies that try to earnestly explain scientific things and fail annoy the hell out of me, however. As a biologist, I get especially irritated with really bad attempts at genetics and other DNA stuff.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Sun May 03, 2015 6:40 pm

Did anyone else see Natasha pass that fate point to Bruce?
"I adore you."
<slides him a fate point>
"But I need the other guy."
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

MrElzebub
Loves to Cuddle Afterward

Postby MrElzebub » Sun May 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Just got back from it and I am going to give it two thumbs up.

The 70's TV Cap movies are just abominable but for some reason I still got way too big a thrill out of seeing Cap's shield as the windshield of a motorcycle.

The one piece I could not place was the new A.I. Is FRIDAY a reference from the comics?
Free Whatever it is that Delicious Humanoids Like! Inquire Within.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Mon May 04, 2015 2:15 am

In general, I really liked the movie. The first half felt a little slow, and a trifle dark. The second half worked much better. I liked the first movie better—the plot felt tighter.
The dialog and characterizations were great. I really liked the sub-plots and characterizations for Hawkeye, the Widow and Banner. Thor felt off in places. What the heck was that business with the pool? And if the Vision wasn't an established character, his introduction in the movie would have felt really weird and out of place. I mean, I'm familiar enough with his appearance and powers, but the without that I wouldn't have a clue what his powers were other than "flying brick with energy beam"

Return to “Moving Pictures”