Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
Wayne
Host

Re: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Postby Wayne » Fri May 25, 2018 12:12 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Bai Shen wrote:
clintmemo wrote:Coulson gave Daisy the gauntlets at the end of his speech.

I need to rewatch that.

clintmemo wrote:Fitz sat in a freezer for 80 years. He didn't travel to the Future like the rest of them did. However, he did travel back to the present the same way they did. That means that the first Fitz is still sitting in a freezer someplace. In fact, if they don't find him when he wakes up the future will be different anf he'll be totally confused and everyone he knows will be dead.

Oh, I know that. I'm just saying that I'm not sure I buy that since without that future who abducted the team into the future?

Make sense?

No. That future no longer exists.

Exactly time has fractured creating a new timeline starting at the point when Daisy defeated Talbot
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Fri May 25, 2018 1:22 pm

They traded a causal loop paradox for a grandfather paradox. Paradoxes are illogical by definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_paradox

Most TV shows expect you to either accept the paradoxes or to just not think about it. They can't all be SG1, where the time travel rules are both consistent AND make sense. I'll settle for consistent, which will depend on if and how they revisit time travel in future episodes.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Fri May 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Wihzerd wrote:They traded a causal loop paradox for a grandfather paradox. Paradoxes are illogical by definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_paradox

Most TV shows expect you to either accept the paradoxes or to just not think about it. They can't all be SG1, where the time travel rules are both consistent AND make sense. I'll settle for consistent, which will depend on if and how they revisit time travel in future episodes.

Just going to drop this here. lol. I did 6 parts and two were dedicated to just paradoxes and loops. They were the strongest of the series in my opinion.

https://www.feartheboot.com/ftb/index.php/archives/1238
https://www.feartheboot.com/ftb/index.php/archives/1240

So for a full logical evaluation of this time travel loop I would need a whiteboard. Robin is what makes this all come together. Basically each of these are alternate realities being split from the original:

Timeline 1: No one was pulled out of the past and the future happened. Robin's visions led them to create the time travel machine that would bring Shield there. They then pulled shield from the past. When they went back it created timeline 2.

Timeline 2: Shield was pulled out of the past. They interacted with the future of timeline 1 and were then send back. Minor changes likely occurred here over their original actions, but not enough to prevent the future. This is the point the loop was created. This loop could have occurred any number of times.

Timeline 3: Shield was pulled out of the past. They experienced the future of Timeline 2 or one like it. They knew that they were in a loop. When they went back they created timeline 4.

Timeline 4: Shield returned from Timeline 3s future. They learned enough from that future to make a few key choices and prevent it from happening. This created a new timeline where that future never happened. The Fitz in space is now in this timeline and the dystopian future they saw is locked away from him. He is no longer needed to fix it.

Now the question is what happened to the other timelines. They are all alternate realities, but do they exist out in the multiverse? If this is true than you never truly change time but just create alternate realities. Your reality will always go on but you will just be locked away from it in a new reality if you make a change.

If instead each reality exists only once and time travel actually changes it then the old realities cease to exist when a change is made. If Zeke disappeared by fading away that would indicate this to be the case They were vague on how he disappeared though and he might have just left to come back next season.

Alternate realities are the ultimate answer to paradoxes.

nanoboy
Teller of gaming stories

Postby nanoboy » Fri May 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Given the final scene of space with Tess and Flint after the agents returned to the past, I assume it still exists in some way.

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Tue May 29, 2018 6:15 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Bai Shen wrote:Oh, I know that. I'm just saying that I'm not sure I buy that since without that future who abducted the team into the future?

Make sense?

If it no longer exists who abducted them? Remember, Enoch didn't open the portal. He just put them in the same location as the portal.
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Wed May 30, 2018 6:19 am

Bai Shen wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
Bai Shen wrote:Oh, I know that. I'm just saying that I'm not sure I buy that since without that future who abducted the team into the future?

Make sense?

If it no longer exists who abducted them? Remember, Enoch didn't open the portal. He just put them in the same location as the portal.

I'm not sure that matters. In this timeline, there is still a Fitz in a box.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Wed May 30, 2018 9:40 am

Bai Shen wrote:
clintmemo wrote:

Make sense?

It no longer exists or is cutoff from them as a separate alternate reality. Either way it did exist when they were abducted.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:27 pm

And we're a go for Season Seven. And Six hasn't even aired yet. Disney+ needs it's content! (Not that they are saying that, Season Seven is still announced as an ABC thing.)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:41 pm

Ikoma wrote:And we're a go for Season Seven. And Six hasn't even aired yet. Disney+ needs it's content! (Not that they are saying that, Season Seven is still announced as an ABC thing.)

Season Seven - where all the ads are for Disney+ !

Seriously, that was an unexpected happy thing.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Wed May 29, 2019 5:59 pm

Anybody else watching? As usual, the season started off a little weird but it's growing on me. Not sure about the Sarge twist.
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

Return to “Moving Pictures”