What have you watched recently?

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
GinDragon
I am the story stick

Re: What have you watched recently?

Postby GinDragon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:52 pm

John wrote:I'm watching The Young Pope and it is 100% making me more confrontational in the workplace.

This would not be a huge deal, except that we know what you do for a living.

John
Host

Postby John » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:40 pm

also james cromwell is giving the performance of a lifetime and all I can hear out of his mouth is "that'll do pig"

the curse of the 90s kid

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Lots of Blue’s Clues. Steve is way better than Joe, and I will fight you if you claim otherwise.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

GinDragon
I am the story stick

Postby GinDragon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 pm

John wrote:also james cromwell is giving the performance of a lifetime and all I can hear out of his mouth is "that'll do pig"

the curse of the 90s kid

I was born in '83, and I still say "That'll do Pig" when someone does something noteworthy. I don't think anyone recognizes the reference anymore.

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:13 pm

GinDragon wrote:
John wrote:also james cromwell is giving the performance of a lifetime and all I can hear out of his mouth is "that'll do pig"

the curse of the 90s kid

I was born in '83, and I still say "That'll do Pig" when someone does something noteworthy. I don't think anyone recognizes the reference anymore.

I was born in '88, and I had to google it. I've totally seen that movie, like once when it first came out on VHS.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:05 am

DistinctlyBenign wrote:
GinDragon wrote:

the curse of the 90s kid

I was born in '88, and I had to google it. I've totally seen that movie, like once when it first came out on VHS.

That movie is great and totally holds up, recommended for any kids from any time. You know it was written and produced by George Miller?
Have you found the yellow sign?

clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs

Postby clintmemo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:59 am

DistinctlyBenign wrote:
GinDragon wrote:

the curse of the 90s kid

Go figure. I was born in '64 and have never seen that movie, but I know the reference.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:10 am

So I watched The Cloverfield Paradox last night on Netflix and...

I have mixed feelings. It's not... <anything> enough to really stand out. It kind of wants to be horror but it doesn't really commit to that. It's sci-fi obviously but it doesn't really seem to be staking out any kind of thematic space. It honestly felt like the kind of back story that could spark the Cloverfield Cinematic Universe but isn't really interesting on it's own. That's not to say it's without merit. The acting is pretty good (a couple of rough moments) but I really felt like the characters were in the moment and feeling what they were supposed to be feeling. And the effects were pretty good for a TV movie (not quite up to cinema standards so I'm glad it went to Netflix and they didn't ask anyone to pay movie ticket prices for it).

Ultimately, what made me sad was how undeveloped the final conflict was between Hamilton and Jansen. Spoilers: So the Shepherd device is the macguffin that's going to save the world by successfully doing the magic trick of creating unlimited, clean, free energy. <sarcasm>Sure!</sure> But ok, it's sci-fi, I'll accept the macguffin. And after they activate it, the station gets shunted over to an alternative dimension where the earth is in a different place in it's orbit and some things are majorly different (Hamilton's kids are alive and well, Hamilton and Tam didn't go on the mission but Jansen and who? did. But almost everything is exactly the same.). Well, I get that this is a trope but it's got issues and please don't make me think about them. So... Hamilton comes up with a plan to get all the data to Earth 2 AND get the Shepherd device itself back to Earth 1 (and she gets to stay with 'her' kids even though it means leaving her husband behind). But Jansen cannot accept that? She's got to save Earth 2 -AT THE EXPENSE- of Earth 1? She talks about being willing to kill 3 people to save 8 billion (typically Trolley problem framing) but she's ALSO condemning Earth 1 to the same fate she's trying to spare Earth 2 from. And NO one mentions it.

I cannot say I really recommend The Cloverfield Paradox. If you really care, ask and I'll happily summarize the important parts. But it's also not the worst way to spend an evening painting minis or doing some other manual craft that you like to do so there is that.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:33 am

tombombodil wrote:
anthroslug wrote:My wife and I just finished season 3 if Bojack Horseman. Holy crap, this show is not what I expected based on marketing or people talking about it. It’s along the lines of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend in that it is a very dark, very serious show hidden under often hilarious wackiness. And the end of Season 3 was just crushing. I had expected a dumb show aimed at early-20s douchebags, not a really insightful show about loneliness, depression, self-destructive behavior, and aging.

It doesn't have a 98-100% on rotten tomatoes for nothing.

It's seriously one of the best TV show's I've ever seen in my life. As funny as Arrested Development and 30-rock, and subversive and deep and emotionally complex as The Wire, and I saw that with only maybe 5-7% hyperbole.

I talked about this before on here so to quote myself, the episode from Season 4 where the framing device is Princess Caroline's granddaughter is telling a story of a hard day in the life of her exceptional Grandmother, but it ends with PC telling Bojack over the phone that she likes to imagine that the story of her life is being told to a gradeschool class by her plucky and bright granddaughter because it has to have a happy ending if that's happening, and Bojack responds "But that's not real..." and PC says "yeah, but it makes me feel better", and then the Episode ends. Fucking. Genius. It's been a long time since I've had a subversion of a story telling trope really pull the rug out from under me.

Based on the marketing, I was expecting something unnecessarily crude and, frankly, obnoxious. I wasn’t expecting something legitimately great, and I am very happy that my wife talked me into watching it.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:00 pm

anthroslug wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
anthroslug wrote:My wife and I just finished season 3 if Bojack Horseman. Holy crap, this show is not what I expected based on marketing or people talking about it. It’s along the lines of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend in that it is a very dark, very serious show hidden under often hilarious wackiness. And the end of Season 3 was just crushing. I had expected a dumb show aimed at early-20s douchebags, not a really insightful show about loneliness, depression, self-destructive behavior, and aging.

It doesn't have a 98-100% on rotten tomatoes for nothing.

It's seriously one of the best TV show's I've ever seen in my life. As funny as Arrested Development and 30-rock, and subversive and deep and emotionally complex as The Wire, and I saw that with only maybe 5-7% hyperbole.

I talked about this before on here so to quote myself, the episode from Season 4 where the framing device is Princess Caroline's granddaughter is telling a story of a hard day in the life of her exceptional Grandmother, but it ends with PC telling Bojack over the phone that she likes to imagine that the story of her life is being told to a gradeschool class by her plucky and bright granddaughter because it has to have a happy ending if that's happening, and Bojack responds "But that's not real..." and PC says "yeah, but it makes me feel better", and then the Episode ends. Fucking. Genius. It's been a long time since I've had a subversion of a story telling trope really pull the rug out from under me.

Based on the marketing, I was expecting something unnecessarily crude and, frankly, obnoxious. I wasn’t expecting something legitimately great, and I am very happy that my wife talked me into watching it.

Yuuuuuuup. This seems to pretty much be the story I hear from everybody who's watched Bojack, replacing wife with some relevant person. Me included.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Return to “Moving Pictures”