What have you watched recently?

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Re: What have you watched recently?

Postby McNutcase » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:38 pm

The Halloween movie night last night was Ghostbusters (2016). I still rate it as solidly awesome.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:45 am

Great British Bakeoff is getting down to the wire and Mandalorian is back. It feels like a happily nostalgic trip to ten years ago to be looking forward to a couple of weekly show drops. Not that there hasn't been great TV recently but so much of it has been released in full seasons on streaming services.

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:46 am

Hit a bunch of horror movies:

Ghostwatch still holds up, I think. Their fake outs and misdirections work well, and I enjoy the more subtle and subdued kinds of ghost stories, so all the buildup had me going.

The Stone Tape was alright but frankly I was distracted the entire time because everyone was YELLING and ACTING and PROJECTING LIKE THEY'RE TRYING TO SPEAK TO THE BACK OF THE THEATER AND NOT INTO THE BOOM MIC. Maybe it was the equipment, editing, or compression but it made watching the movie distracting.

The original McPherson Tape also holds up. A 1989 found footage horror movie about a family under attack from aliens. The background is actually also a fascinating example of budget being the mother of invention. He only had the cabin for one night, so he hired local actors who could improv, pretty much did everything in one take, had to be the cameraman because he couldn't afford a monitor, and also had a radio cueing up the lights and aliens. But it holds up as the terrible visual quality hides the faults and no one is speaking like they're being filmed. For example at the start, their big family dinner devolves into each half of the table having their own conversation while the camera is in the middle in a natural way.

Also they thought it was lost when their distributors warehouse burned down with the master but then a copy somehow survived and they spread into the 90s UFOlogy scene without any credits or hint it was fictional.

The 1998 remake is far more riffable. It still has its good moments for sure, but you can immediately feel the difference in delivery and odd scenes to try to stretch it out to a TV movie runtime. And there's portions where subtlety goes out the window as their "expert interview" segments just state what's being implied.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:03 pm

Almost finished Haunting of Bly Manor over the weekend. Really digging it. I like the anthology aspect of the show. Means I cannot compare it too much to Haunting of Hill House. Different stories. Different characters. Same general theme/ideas.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

K-Mech
Teller of gaming stories

Postby K-Mech » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:52 pm

Into season 12 of Supernatural, and it's getting firmly into slog territory...

My wife has been running Longmire in the back ground and it's not bad for a cop show.

Frasier when we want some laughs and Jack Whitehall as well. Frasier still holds up strong for us on the "Make me Laugh" meter...

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:10 am

Dr Who - The Faceless Ones

The second doctor, Jaimie, Ben and Polly accidentally land the TARDIS on the airport runway in a London Airport in July, 1966 - and then hilarity ensues - but not really. There are aliens there running a fake travel service for young people but instead of taking them to far off destinations, they are kidnapping them and taking them to their satellite.

I never thought I'd say this about a 2nd doctor serial but, that pretty much sucked. It was a 6 parter that might have worked as a 4 parter, but they didn't even effectively pad it out to 6 episodes. Only 2 of the episodes still exist so the other 4 were animated (they also animated the existing episodes and give you the option of watching it either way). There was a lot of times when nothing was happening. And there wasn't even any Pat Troughton Shenanigans to entertain you. They just stand around a lot and talk about how they don't know what is happening.
To make it weirder, it was the last serial to include Ben and Polly and they are hardly in the story - they get kidnapped near the beginning but never reappear until after the climax at the end of episode six - just to say goodbye. Jamie ends up having a fairly significant part but there is no reason that they couldn't have had Ben and Polly have that part instead. My only guess is that their contracts ran out and they were only allowed to be in 2 episodes.

At least the animation was good.

I would say this is only for die hard Dr Who fans and Dr Who completionists.
Retirement Date: 3 years or 1 bad day

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:40 am

Finally finished Bly Manor. I liked it. It wasn't as scary as Hill House, more melancholy. I still liked it. I look forward to seeing what they do next season.

Started really watching Forged in Fire with my youngest. Fun show.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:48 pm

Because of an online acquaintance snarking at it on Twitter, I've been watching Doomsday Preppers on Netflix. Dear Mr Rogers, these people are terrible and need better hobbies than burying tubs of guns like heavily armed squirrels...

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:34 am

McNutcase wrote:Because of an online acquaintance snarking at it on Twitter, I've been watching Doomsday Preppers on Netflix. Dear Mr Rogers, these people are terrible and need better hobbies than burying tubs of guns like heavily armed squirrels...

Maybe the best thing these people can do with their guns is to bury them. :P
Retirement Date: 3 years or 1 bad day

McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:14 pm

clintmemo wrote:
McNutcase wrote:Because of an online acquaintance snarking at it on Twitter, I've been watching Doomsday Preppers on Netflix. Dear Mr Rogers, these people are terrible and need better hobbies than burying tubs of guns like heavily armed squirrels...

Maybe the best thing these people can do with their guns is to bury them. :P

You're not wrong, but I really feel like we shouldn't be encouraging these people by putting them on the telly.

Return to “Moving Pictures”