What have you watched recently?

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: What have you watched recently?

Postby Ikoma » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:31 pm

Lots to catch up on from over the break. Spoilers ahoy!

First up, Wonder Woman 1984. Man, I wish this was better. And it's not BAD, per se. It's a movie where the total is less than the sum of its parts. The cast is each great. There is a some tonal differences in performances. The 'villains' feel like they are in a different movie than the 'heroes'. (Note, either tonal register would have been fine. Just pick one.) Each individual action scene is good to great although I did not love the final Cheetah/WW CGI clash. Too dark and too blurry. I was a little disappointed they redid the 'I cannot go on without you Steve' story beat that literally ended the last movie. I did love that her connection with Steve is what finally unlocked her power of flight. I also loved the explanation of how she got an invisible jet - even though I was rolling my eyes at [A] the idea that Steve, a WWI propeller plane pilot could fly an 80s era jet fighter 'cause all planes are basically the same, right?, and [B] they flew right through the middle of a fireworks displays (fireworks are explosives, that shit ain't safe). I was a little weirded out that they went hard into the mythology side for future development instead of going to the comics. And finally, I was a little disappointed they went 'deus ex machina' of just wishing all the consequences away. It felt like they wanted to avoid the 'punching a bad guy until you win' path that a lot of other superhero movies take. Which is a noble goal. Wonder Woman should be more inspirational that just hitting bad guys over and over. But the ending kinda made the rest of the movie feel pointless.

Next up, Soul. Much better... I was in love with it when the movie ended. But over time, it's faded a little in my estimation. I really like the ideas in the movie. The unabashed creativity on display is a little staggering. It's so very pretty. But as time has passed, the basic plot just hasn't held up as well. It ended up feeling like a bunch of really inspired bits held together with thin and loose thread. Still, it's beautiful and striving and mostly holds together. It's just not destined to be a classic. (IMHO)

Finally, I binged Cobra Kai season three over the weekend. Fun stuff. I think they reached a little past their budget this season trying to show us some of Kreese's backstory in Vietnam. I loved how they integrated some blasts from the past like Ali, Kimiko, Chozen, and even little Yuna (honestly, I did not remember her name until they mentioned her in the show). Of course, you have to suspend disbelief a little there at the end. No way the police are not involved after the Cobra Kai kids attack the Eagle Fang (WTF Johnny) and Miyagi-do kids at the LaRusso home. Certainly, the issue would not be resolved at a karate tournament. But for a TV show, sure... let's settle this with a formal duel. Although, I am less thrilled at the thought of bringing Tony Silver and/or Mike Barnes back. They are the my least favorite villains of the series and none of Kreese's Vietnam flashbacks changed that. They are both just such mustache twirling cartoon caricatures of people. However, I accept that they will be back. I just hope it's brief like this season's cameos. My favorite bits of the season are that the avoided some of the cliches involved with healing from a major injury. It's not how much Miguel 'wants it'.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:29 pm

Supernatural

All 15 Seasons

I think we started in June.

I hear some people hated the last episode.
I loved it. It was exactly what it should have been. (though Sam's makeup was pretty lame)
It probably played better as the final episode of binge-watching than it did if you watched it one episode a week.

And I loved how they did a thank you message for the fans at the end.
Retirement Date: 3 years or 1 bad day

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 pm

clintmemo wrote:And I loved how they did a thank you message for the fans at the end.

Word is that the fan culture for that show is veeeeeeery dedicated.

K-Mech
Teller of gaming stories

Postby K-Mech » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:28 pm

clintmemo wrote:Supernatural

All 15 Seasons

I think we started in June.

I hear some people hated the last episode.
I loved it. It was exactly what it should have been. (though Sam's makeup was pretty lame)
It probably played better as the final episode of binge-watching than it did if you watched it one episode a week.

And I loved how they did a thank you message for the fans at the end.

I think my wife and I started around June as well. Wrapped it up last month. Season 8-14 were really hit and miss, but overall a fun show.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 pm

I was in and fully on board through five seasons. Then I remember it getting silly. I never really made a decision to quit watching, it just drifted to the bottom of my watch list. Then the backlog got to long and it moved the binge watch... someday. So far the day has not come.

Guilty pleasure I am watching now... Inkmaster. Guilty not because I think tattoos are bad and/or people with tattoos are bad. I don't have a tattoo but I kinda want one. I'm just to indecisive although I have a couple of ideas. I have friends with tattoos. No, it's a guilty pleasure because I normally avoid these drama fueled reality shows. If I'm going to watch a reality show, I want the contestants to be mutually supportive. I love Forged in Fire, (also on the currently being watched list), in part because the smiths work together when they need to, offer advice sometimes and there is never drama with who is going to be eliminated. No question why you are going home when your edge chipped on a strength test and no one else's did. And even if the difference is not that extreme, it's usually obvious. And the 'loser' admits it. But with Inkmaster, it's drama and backbiting all the time. Bitching and moaning and plotting. Look, I get why people like it. It's... suspenseful. You get favorites. But it makes me squirm. If the tattoos weren't so interesting and creative (or disasters sometimes), I would be out.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:31 pm

Ikoma wrote:

I was in and fully on board through five seasons. Then I remember it getting silly. I never really made a decision to quit watching, it just drifted to the bottom of my watch list. Then the backlog got to long and it moved the binge watch... someday. So far the day has not come

I was fully into it through season 5. Then it ended. Conclusively, and in a way that seemed to clearly be intended as a finale. Up until like ten seconds before credits when they wasted their ending.

... So I stopped. I ignore those last ten seconds. Show ended at season 5. It got a little weak toward the very end, but was overall good.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:46 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:
Ikoma wrote:

I was in and fully on board through five seasons. Then I remember it getting silly. I never really made a decision to quit watching, it just drifted to the bottom of my watch list. Then the backlog got to long and it moved the binge watch... someday. So far the day has not come

I was fully into it through season 5. Then it ended. Conclusively, and in a way that seemed to clearly be intended as a finale. Up until like ten seconds before credits when they wasted their ending.

... So I stopped. I ignore those last ten seconds. Show ended at season 5. It got a little weak toward the very end, but was overall good.

I had to go back to the episode list to see where exactly that was - :P

Some of the later seasons are weaker, I admit, but there are some recurring characters that were fun enough to keep us watching - Crowley, Rowena, Metatron, Gabriel, Donna, and several others. Eventually, you get to the point where you don't really care about the plot - it's just more of those characters you enjoy doing more stuff.

If nothing else, go watch the "Scoobynatural" episode. (Season 13, Episode 16)
Retirement Date: 3 years or 1 bad day

K-Mech
Teller of gaming stories

Postby K-Mech » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:10 pm

"Scoobynatural" was a blast :)

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:20 am

First two episodes of WandaVision.

More detailed thoughts in the MCU TV thread...

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:53 pm

Watching The Stand (2020).

I'm through the fourth episode and finishing because I love the source material. There are a LOT of time skips that would probably make it needlessly difficult to follow for someone who hadn't read the novel and/or seen the 90s adaptation. The Harold storyline is told in full gross detail for some reason (with Stephen King biographical details added from On Writing? Were those in the novel?) while everything else gets abridged. There are some excellent tragic performances from J.K. Simmons (seriously, why is this guy doing insurance commercials, he blows away everything he's in) and Heather Graham but they are short asides to a longer plot that doesn't really have anyone electrifying me. Whoopi has the chops but she's wasted as a mystery figure who doesn't really have much to perform, the Skarsgard brother who does Randall Flagg looks bored (stark contrast to the one who just gave us IT). Nobody among the leaders of the good guys is really popping out. The guy playing Tom Cullen and the girl playing Julie the horny shotgun-psycho are standouts.

There isn't really anything being done with the visuals or sound that wasn't done 30 years ago on network TV. I guess the virus victims look more disgusting this time but so what. There are pop song interwoven into the story but nothings landing like Don't Fear The Reaper did the last time around.

It's not terrible but I'm a Stephen King junkie and The Stand is up there among his best. I was hoping for something great.

Return to “Moving Pictures”