What have you watched recently?

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: What have you watched recently?

Postby clintmemo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:03 am

Chad wrote:
clintmemo wrote:Parasite

I knew less than nothing about this movie going in. I say less than nothing because for some reason, I thought it was a horror movie and not - what it was.
I'm not sure what it was. I think it was listed as a comedy, and it was funny in the best kind of way (characters do in character things that are funny to the audience but not necessarily to them), but it was also highly tragic and somewhat horrifying.

All the while, it was captivating.

Check out The Host, it's by the same director. Go into it thinking it's a horror movie (it even has a monster) and it's not.

It's really good. I've seen several of Bong Joon-ho's work and his movies are quite good.

Maybe that's why I thought Parasite was a horror movie. Some TV voice probably said it was a "follow up to The Host" but my brain heard sequel - or something.

I'll definitely check that out.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:16 pm

Saw Knives Out last weekend and loved it. It was really well written and well-acted.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:50 pm

mindtakerr wrote:Saw Knives Out last weekend and loved it. It was really well written and well-acted.

So funny and unique and creative. Absolute knockout, may there be many more movies like it. Long live the whodunit! (kind of)
Have you found the yellow sign?

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:00 am

tombombodil wrote:
mindtakerr wrote:Saw Knives Out last weekend and loved it. It was really well written and well-acted.

So funny and unique and creative. Absolute knockout, may there be many more movies like it. Long live the whodunit! (kind of)

:agree: :agree:

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:39 am

tombombodil wrote:

There will be at least one.
https://collider.com/knives-out-sequel/
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:59 am

Ikoma wrote:Word of warning. Kingdom Season One ends with a doozy of a cliff hanger. One major event is just on the verge of happening when the season ends. One major piece of information is dropped (although I was suspicious of it a few episodes earlier). One major (diabolical) plan is revealed.

That said, Season Two is in production. So you don't have to worry you will never get resolution.

Ah yeah!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:15 pm

Binge watched The Umbrella Academy this weekend. Good stuff.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:21 pm

Started Ragnarok over the weekend. It's a Norwegian/Netflix collaboration. Fairly standard YA setup. New kid moves to town with his brother. Turns out new kid might just be Thor reincarnated and his brother is Loki. Lot's of teenaged angst and earnestness. It's fun but low key so far. Scenery is beautiful.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:54 am

Finished Ragnarok last night. It's a nice little fun low-key adaptation of Norse mythology. It's earnest and local. There are some cool effect moments but the fights are a bit... short? They are not so much disappointing as just over quickly so as to not strain the effects budget. Of course, room is left for a second season but it's a pretty decent standalone if they never get a second season.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Started I Am Not Okay With This over the weekend. I think I'll wait until I finish it to give a full review but I will say I'm really digging it so far.

Sunday night I saw that The Highlander was on Amazon Prime. So I watched it with my kids. It reinforced my 15-year-old's idea that the 80s were a creation of aliens. The movie was way weirder than I remember. It's still exudes a certain kind of coolness but it's incoherent. My kids kept asking why questions I had no good answers for.

Last night, I caught T-34 also on Amazon Prime. A Russian tank movie. It's glorious and stupid and silly. Effects are amazing. So MANY slow-mo shots. And explosions. Oh, and the crew getting their bell rung hard when a shell bounces off the cupola. Basic plot is a (very stupid) German tank commander comes up with the (not at all) brilliant idea of turning a captured T-34 over to Soviet prisoners-of-war (sans ammunition and with very little fuel) and using them as a training exercises for German tank crews. He chooses a Soviet tank commander who beat him (and took out five German Panthers w/ his older Soviet tank) to head this rag tag team. Of course they find ammunition (six live shells). Of course they outsmart every German tanker at the tank school AND a bunch of German generals there to watch the exercise. Of course they escape and make a run of the Polish border. None of that matters. Watching the tanks brawl is what matters. The big final fight between five German tanks and the T-34 in an evacuated German village knowing the T-34 only has 4 shells left is the big climax.

Return to “Moving Pictures”