What have you watched recently?

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: What have you watched recently?

Postby GinDragon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Ikoma wrote:So Tricia Helfer and writer Marc Bernardin are doing a podcast dedicated to an episode by episode rewatch of Battlestar Galactica. I have therefor begun a complete rewatch. The miniseries is as good as I remember. I'm really looking forward to this.

EDIT: Also rewatched Unbreakable this weekend in preparation for Glass. (Split will be watched Wednesday or Thursday.) It's also as good as I remember.

How do I find this podcast? That sounds like a fun thing to do.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:30 pm

I use Downcast. I expect you could just use your podcaster app of choice and search for Battlestar Galacticast. They just released an episode covering the third episode of the first season (so five total episode discussions).
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Ikoma wrote:I use Downcast. I expect you could just use your podcaster app of choice and search for Battlestar Galacticast. They just released an episode covering the third episode of the first season (so five total episode discussions).

I was mostly looking for the name of the podcast as you didn't mention it in your original post. All good now.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Have you found the yellow sign?

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:54 pm

Over the past two years a close friend of mine has watched every Star Trek Episode to each of the series from the OS to the end of Enterprise. But for some reason he skipped the movies.

So I've been watching the original series movies with him. Finished Wrath of Khan the other night. So much better than the first one. I remember liking 3 and 5 more than most people. We'll see if i still feel that way 5 years later.

I never finished Next Generation but i'll probably go ahead and watch those movies.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:41 pm

Just got back from Glass. I re-watched Unbreakable and Split this week. This is an interesting trilogy to be sure. And I like it. But I like to think about it more than I like to watch it. I don't want to spoil Glass so I'll probably mull it over for the weekend and then make a new spoiler thread to talk it over.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:51 pm

Ikoma wrote:Just got back from Glass. I re-watched Unbreakable and Split this week. This is an interesting trilogy to be sure. And I like it. But I like to think about it more than I like to watch it. I don't want to spoil Glass so I'll probably mull it over for the weekend and then make a new spoiler thread to talk it over.
Non spoiler commentary: It was soooooo boooooring and self important. Movies that are only interesting in theory, but are only barely functional as actual films really rub me the wrong way. *meh*

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:25 pm

Just finished the second season of Lore on Amazon Prime. While I am a fan of the podcast, the first season showed that trying to directly adapt it to television doesn’t work well.

The second season took an anthology show approach where historic events (or folklore and speculation surrounding historical events) served as the basis for short films. Some were better than others, but all were watchable. The first and the last were the most fun, the third was the scariest.

It was interesting, though, that, while most stories took liberties with history to make things more sensational or hammer home supernatural stuff, the final episode, about Jack Parsons, took liberties to change an astoundingly weird true story involving rocket science, ritual orgies, Alastair Crowley (yes, THAT Alastair Crowley) and L. Ron Hubbard (yes, THAT L. Ron Hubbard) into a mundane love story with “real magic!” Given how much fun the episode was, it is strange to think it could have been more fun with fewer liberties taken, because the true story is just so damned wacky (and even involves Hubbard making off with Parson’s money in an attempt to buy a fleet of ships...seriously).

I wonder if it was changed for the sake of avoiding trouble with the Church of Scientology.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

ad1066
I am the story stick

Postby ad1066 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:32 am

Just watched Polar on Netflix.

Ehh.

I really feel like there were two writers, each tasked with separate parts of the script, and they didn't consult each other at all during the process. All the bits of the film with Mads Mikkelson's Duncan and Vanessa Hudgens' Camille play kinda like it wants to be John Wick or The Professional. Duncan is an aging assassin who's trying to adjust to retirement in a sleepy little town up in Montana while dealing with some inner demons, and Camille is his neighbor who has a dark past. And this is all well and fine. However, everything else in the movie is this flashy cartoonish crap, including the organization that's decided that they're better off killing Duncan rather than pay him his retirement fund, and the most unprofessional bunch of rival assassins sent to carry this out. Everything crashes together in a particularly glaring case of tonal disconnect. And don't get me wrong: I enjoy Matt Lucas being ridiculous ("I'm the only gay in the village!"), but not while Mads is doing his best Leon impersonation.

-- Ben
Ben Morgan
ad1066 AT gmail thingy

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:31 pm

ad1066 wrote:Just watched Polar on Netflix.

Ehh.

I really feel like there were two writers, each tasked with separate parts of the script, and they didn't consult each other at all during the process. All the bits of the film with Mads Mikkelson's Duncan and Vanessa Hudgens' Camille play kinda like it wants to be John Wick or The Professional. Duncan is an aging assassin who's trying to adjust to retirement in a sleepy little town up in Montana while dealing with some inner demons, and Camille is his neighbor who has a dark past. And this is all well and fine. However, everything else in the movie is this flashy cartoonish crap, including the organization that's decided that they're better off killing Duncan rather than pay him his retirement fund, and the most unprofessional bunch of rival assassins sent to carry this out. Everything crashes together in a particularly glaring case of tonal disconnect. And don't get me wrong: I enjoy Matt Lucas being ridiculous ("I'm the only gay in the village!"), but not while Mads is doing his best Leon impersonation.

-- Ben

We watched that last night. I agree with the very disparate two tonal threads, but it sounds like I enjoyed it more than you did.

I would say it was more fun than good.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Return to “Moving Pictures”