What have you watched recently?

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
Glenn
I am the story stick

Re: What have you watched recently?

Postby Glenn » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Burning wrote:We got to see "White Christmas" on a big screen last night.

My wife and I went and saw it Sunday afternoon. I couldn't believe they sold out two theater rooms for it. When i saw Young Frankenstein last year there was only 25 people or so.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:29 pm

My wife coerced me into watching the watching the first two episodes of "The Kominsky Method" on Netflix.
It was surprisingly excellent.

... or maybe I just identify with too old, jaded, white guys too much. ;)
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Star Trek: Deep Space 9 is on hulu so I've been rewatching it. Somehow I forgot how absolutely fantastic it is. I think it might be my favorite Star Trek show, even moreso than TNG. It was frankly the last live action Star Trek property to take the setting and do something genuinely new and interesting instead of just another brown-nosing imitation of OG or TNG.

The stationary setting lets the focus be just as much on characters and their interactions as on high level sci-fi conceits. And it gets to be a little more indulgent in it's exploration of the different cultures involved. I particularly love all the little digressions exploring Quark's character and Ferengi culture. After half a season has gone by, no one in the show is a charicacher, none of them are two-dimensional like I would argue much of the cast of TNG was (which was fine for that show because the focus was less on character's and more on the sci-fi tales).

It's just so patient and nuanced and confident in itself without having to always be big and loud and showy. It doesn't even always have to be so high brow and can just have an episode about Sisko's kid having trouble with his friend at school. I think some of my favorite episodes of TNG were focused on Worf's complicated relationship with his culture, and Major Kira has some of that in her story as well and I am very much looking forward to when Worf shows up on DS9.

Man it's such a great show.
Last edited by tombombodil on Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Postby Knaight » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:32 pm

It really is. It's easily my favorite Star Trek series, and is right up there with Babylon 5 in terms of excellent space opera (which could arguably be considered tied as my favorite Star Trek series itself, but that's a different matter entirely).
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

Glorious_Leader
BABUSHKA!

Postby Glorious_Leader » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:48 pm

DrMikey wrote:Eastern Promises, starring Viggo Mortenson.

Just finished watching the series Firefly (hadn't watched it yet, and borrowed it from a friend.)

Eastern Promises is so good! If you enjoyed it, check out Deadly Code. It's on Netflix.
А ну, чики-брики и в дамки

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Just got back from They Will Never Grow Old, a WWI documentary made by Peter Jackson and his crew. They took actual footage shot of troops in the war, 'fixed' it with modern computers[1], and run it with audio from veterans remembering the war. It is incredibly moving, a pretty unsanitized look at the war but without applying too much modern attitude toward it. By letting the veterans speak for themselves and tying to it historical archive footage (not stuff shot for the home propaganda market), it feels very honest, very moving.

It's not gonna be in theaters more than a day or two (I lucked out) but I would highly recommend it via your choice of streaming service once it hits there.

[1] By fixed I mean they scanned the footage to allow them to adjust the sprocket shrinkage which causes the stuttering effect you see in old footage by stabilizing each frame. Then they slow down the frame rate. Footage shot in 1914-1918 cameras was done via a crack the camera-man would turn. Most century old footage was shot at 16 frames per second as opposed to the modern 24 frames per second. AND even then it varied a lot. Once you stop the stuttering and slow the film down, the soldiers look like normal people moving. Then they went in and did extensive color correction based on a ton of research. Finally, they did a lot of foley work to add sound as they could. Hired professional forensic lip readers and then hired actors to do ADR.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:40 pm

The great MCU rewatch with the wife has reached Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and we're skipping Guardians of the Galaxy for now so next up is Age of bloody Ultron. Which is what caused me to nope out of the MCU, until people convinced me that Civil War is way, way better (and honestly, a stealth Avengers movie) and the universe gets back to being fun and cool. At least I was smart enough to tell the library I wanted both Ultron and Ant-Man.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Postby Knaight » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:59 am

I just watched At Eternity's Gate. It was an entirely logistical watch that wouldn't have otherwise happened, but overall it was a pretty solid Van Gogh biopic.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 am

spiderverse was awesome. go see it
-Casey

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:38 am

McNutcase wrote:The great MCU rewatch with the wife has reached Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and we're skipping Guardians of the Galaxy for now so next up is Age of bloody Ultron. Which is what caused me to nope out of the MCU, until people convinced me that Civil War is way, way better (and honestly, a stealth Avengers movie) and the universe gets back to being fun and cool. At least I was smart enough to tell the library I wanted both Ultron and Ant-Man.

I have never understood the hatred people have for Age of Ultron.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Return to “Moving Pictures”