What have you watched recently?

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: What have you watched recently?

Postby tombombodil » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:
anthroslug wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
anthroslug wrote:My wife and I just finished season 3 if Bojack Horseman. Holy crap, this show is not what I expected based on marketing or people talking about it. It’s along the lines of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend in that it is a very dark, very serious show hidden under often hilarious wackiness. And the end of Season 3 was just crushing. I had expected a dumb show aimed at early-20s douchebags, not a really insightful show about loneliness, depression, self-destructive behavior, and aging.

It doesn't have a 98-100% on rotten tomatoes for nothing.

It's seriously one of the best TV show's I've ever seen in my life. As funny as Arrested Development and 30-rock, and subversive and deep and emotionally complex as The Wire, and I saw that with only maybe 5-7% hyperbole.

I talked about this before on here so to quote myself, the episode from Season 4 where the framing device is Princess Caroline's granddaughter is telling a story of a hard day in the life of her exceptional Grandmother, but it ends with PC telling Bojack over the phone that she likes to imagine that the story of her life is being told to a gradeschool class by her plucky and bright granddaughter because it has to have a happy ending if that's happening, and Bojack responds "But that's not real..." and PC says "yeah, but it makes me feel better", and then the Episode ends. Fucking. Genius. It's been a long time since I've had a subversion of a story telling trope really pull the rug out from under me.

Based on the marketing, I was expecting something unnecessarily crude and, frankly, obnoxious. I wasn’t expecting something legitimately great, and I am very happy that my wife talked me into watching it.

Yuuuuuuup. This seems to pretty much be the story I hear from everybody who's watched Bojack, replacing wife with some relevant person. Me included.

I wonder who patient zero was? :think:
Have you found the yellow sign?

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:52 pm

tombombodil wrote:I wonder who patient zero was? :think:

My guess? A few people who worked on Bojack, but weren't noteworthy enough to arouse suspicion.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Been watching a lot of this reality show Alaska: The Last Frontier since it's my middle son's current fascination. A show about the trials and tribulations of an extended clan living off the land in Alaska. It's... interesting. I mean, it's nice to watch a reality show that is NOT built on conflict and friction between individuals that is mostly manufactured by the production crew. This is man versus wild and there is plenty of story in the "will they catch their food" storyline that is the mainstay of the series. It's fun. Doesn't really stick with me. Probably triggering to people who don't like hunting. They hunt a lot. And fish. And process all their kills. It's not a show for squeamish people. Want to see a bear shot, processed, as much as possible put to use, and then eaten? This is your show. Want to see how creative people can get with a random pile of what a lot of people would call trash? This is your show. Love seeing the great outdoors? This is your show. Boy, Alaska sure is purdy.

Anyway, it's what I've been watching recently.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:53 pm

I love Aardman films. [Chicken Run, Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Flushed Away, The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!, Shaun the Sheep Movie - I never saw Arthur Crhistmas? I'll have to fix that.] So I was excited to see Early Man. It pains me to say this is Aardman's first miss for me. That's not to say there's nothing there. There are quite a few jokes I laughed at. But more fell flat than hit. And normally, Aardman films are just joke after joke and I'm having a hard time keeping up.

Now, I must admit some of this could be cultural. Football (soccer) is not a culture I am going to get all the in-jokes on. So it's entirely possible this movie does much better with a non-USA/maybe Canada audience. Maybe it's very specific to English/British football culture. I got the impression some (all?) of the characters are parody of actual people but I cannot be sure.

Anyway, your mileage may vary but I am not recommending it to friends.

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:52 am

Ikoma wrote:I love Aardman films. [Chicken Run, Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Flushed Away, The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!, Shaun the Sheep Movie - I never saw Arthur Crhistmas? I'll have to fix that.] So I was excited to see Early Man. It pains me to say this is Aardman's first miss for me. That's not to say there's nothing there. There are quite a few jokes I laughed at. But more fell flat than hit. And normally, Aardman films are just joke after joke and I'm having a hard time keeping up.

Now, I must admit some of this could be cultural. Football (soccer) is not a culture I am going to get all the in-jokes on. So it's entirely possible this movie does much better with a non-USA/maybe Canada audience. Maybe it's very specific to English/British football culture. I got the impression some (all?) of the characters are parody of actual people but I cannot be sure.

Anyway, your mileage may vary but I am not recommending it to friends.

That is disappointing, as I have enjoyed every other Ardman film and shortvthat I have seen.

Arthur Christmas was not one of their better ones, but was still superior to pretty much every non-Pixar animated film from the same time.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:48 pm

Just now finished watching Get Out.

Damn, that was a really good movie.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:48 am

Jessica Jones Season 2.

It was good, but not as good as season 1. Then again, nothing in the Marvel Netflix universe has been as good as Jessica Jones Season 1.

It has several good plot twists, several new and interesting characters and some good character development for some of the returning, Trish and Malcolm, but especially Carrie Anne Moss's Gerry Hogarth who gets a really nice arc in this one.

There is also some seeds set for a possible season 3 but no cliff hanger.

Definitely ranks well above Luke Cage or Iron Fist.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 am

I'd just like say, six-episode seasons for half-hour shows are bullshit. You hear me, Netflix? BULLSHIT.

Goddamn short-ass Voltron seasons...
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Watching Runaways. It's decent. A little slow. And it's taking a while to turn the characters (teens AND adults) from stereotypes into fully fleshed-out characters. The biggest problem is just the huge cast. Six teens (the titular runaways) plus ten adults (their parents) plus a few others. I like what's there. I just don't love it. We'll see if it improves as the season goes on.

ad1066
I am the story stick

Postby ad1066 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:25 am

Dirk Gently season 2. Plot makes very little sense (and I suspect will continue to do so until all the pieces fall into place, like the first one), but the characters are all wonderful. Hobbs has to be the nicest sheriff in the world, and Bart continues to be all kinds of awesome.

-- Ben
Ben Morgan
ad1066 AT gmail thingy
Burn After Reading: Creative and Subversive Endeavors
Play Spookybeans, or Barzac will devour your head.

Return to “Moving Pictures”