Marvel's TV Shows

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Re: Marvel's Netflix Shows

Postby Sith_Mafia » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:10 am

Upcoming Marvel Movies/Shows - tons of new announcements yesterday

WandaVision (Disney+, Jan. 15, 2021)
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Disney+, March 19, 2021)
Black Widow (May 7, 2021)
Loki (Disney+, May, 2021)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (July 9, 2021)
What If...? (Disney+, Summer 2021)
Eternals (Nov. 5, 2021)
Spider-Man 3 (Dec. 17, 2021)
Ms. Marvel (Disney+, Late 2021)
Hawkeye (Disney+, Late 2021)
Captain Marvel 2 (Nov. 11, 2022)
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (March 25, 2022)
Thor: Love and Thunder (May 6, 2022)
Black Panther 2 (July 8, 2022)
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2022)
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (Disney+, 2022)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (Date TBD)
Moon Knight (Disney+, Date TBD)
She-Hulk (Disney+, Date TBD)
Secret Invasion/Nick Fury Series (Disney+, Date TBD)
Blade (Date TBD)
Deadpool 3 (Date TBD)
Fantastic Four (Date TBD)
I Am Groot (Disney+, Date TBD)
Armor Wars (Disney+, Date TBD)
Ironheart (Disney+, Date TBD)
-Casey

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Marvel's Netflix Shows

Postby Ikoma » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:45 pm

While Netflix Daredevil had some narrative issues, it had NO style issues. I really want Cox back.

We do have rumors that Kristen Ritter's Jessica Jones will appear in the upcoming She-Hulk series in a cameo. Which is a nice sign.

EDIT: And how in the world did I forget Cox is rumored to be playing Mat Murdock in Spider-Man 3? I am ashamed of myself. :oops:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Marvel's TV Shows

Postby Ikoma » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:10 pm

So... WandaVision dropped it's first two episodes this weekend. And... I loved them. My wife and kids on the other hand, were very meh about the whole thing. Enough so that I don't know if they even intend to watch the third episode unless I give it a recommend.

This show is trying to do three very hard things; pastiche/homage early TV sitcoms, be a good sitcom, and be a good MCU story. I think they are doing the first spectacularly well. Home run territory. BUT... my wife and kids are not interested in that... at all. I am, being an aficionado of television history. It's fun. I do agree with my family that WandaVision is not a particularly good sitcom on its own. It's kinda bland. The jokes are a little more forced and flat than a good classic I Love Lucy or The Honeymooners good and did hit on their best games. But I think that's WandaVision's least important role. The final one, be a good MCU story? Well, it's hard to tell. There are clearly hints. But these first two episodes are giving nothing away. And the hints were not enough to excite the family, even if they did excite me.

So we'll see how it develops. I'm excited. I'm in.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:33 am

Ikoma wrote:So... WandaVision dropped it's first two episodes this weekend. And... I loved them. My wife and kids on the other hand, were very meh about the whole thing. Enough so that I don't know if they even intend to watch the third episode unless I give it a recommend.

This show is trying to do three very hard things; pastiche/homage early TV sitcoms, be a good sitcom, and be a good MCU story. I think they are doing the first spectacularly well. Home run territory. BUT... my wife and kids are not interested in that... at all. I am, being an aficionado of television history. It's fun. I do agree with my family that WandaVision is not a particularly good sitcom on its own. It's kinda bland. The jokes are a little more forced and flat than a good classic I Love Lucy or The Honeymooners good and did hit on their best games. But I think that's WandaVision's least important role. The final one, be a good MCU story? Well, it's hard to tell. There are clearly hints. But these first two episodes are giving nothing away. And the hints were not enough to excite the family, even if they did excite me.

Like you I loved it, but I can see how someone wouldn't. Especially kids who haven't seen the shows that are being homaged. As a show by itself in a vacuum it is really a hard sell. Appreciating what it is paying tribute to and being invested in the mystery really go a long way towards appreciating the show. Looking for all the Easter Eggs and knowing comic storylines helps too. They definitely took a gamble on this one with the approach. I suspect episode 3 is going to open up the MCU mystery aspect of the show quite a bit more. I think we will see more characters and finally see what is going on outside. I hope so atleast.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:17 am

Wayne wrote:
Ikoma wrote:So... WandaVision dropped it's first two episodes this weekend. And... I loved them. My wife and kids on the other hand, were very meh about the whole thing. Enough so that I don't know if they even intend to watch the third episode unless I give it a recommend.

Like you I loved it, but I can see how someone wouldn't. Especially kids who haven't seen the shows that are being homaged. As a show by itself in a vacuum it is really a hard sell. Appreciating what it is paying tribute to and being invested in the mystery really go a long way towards appreciating the show. Looking for all the Easter Eggs and knowing comic storylines helps too. They definitely took a gamble on this one with the approach. I suspect episode 3 is going to open up the MCU mystery aspect of the show quite a bit more. I think we will see more characters and finally see what is going on outside. I hope so atleast.

Yeah, they are really slow playing the "what the hell is going on here?" aspect of the show. The first episode had almost nothing, the second episode had the much more obvious Hydra commercial.

I think this will work better binged than one episode per week.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:41 pm

Episode 3 is where they tell us they were never trying to be a good sitcom. The jokes being forced and the laugh track doing the 'work' of making things light is part of the point. Getting better as an MCU show. Still a perfect pastiche of the 70s sitcom. (We can now add The Partridge Family and The Brady Bunch to the list of sitcoms being homaged. Previous sitcoms being The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, Leave it to Beaver, I Dream of Jeannie, The Dick Van Dyke Show, & Bewitched. I'm probably missing some...)

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:13 pm

interesting take
Have you found the yellow sign?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:31 am

Something about MovieBob has always set my teeth on edge. He just... grates on me.

But he's smart and usually correct and he's 100% right on this. (IMHO)

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:02 pm

Ikoma wrote:Something about MovieBob has always set my teeth on edge. He just... grates on me.

He's not a great script reader so his videos often have way more audio editing than other commentators and the cuts aren't always clean.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:58 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Ikoma wrote:Something about MovieBob has always set my teeth on edge. He just... grates on me.

He's not a great script reader so his videos often have way more audio editing than other commentators and the cuts aren't always clean.

Personally the thing that gives me the most issue with him is his inconsistent hiding of his accent. I'd rather he just go full Doston full time than keep slipping in and out the way he often does.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Return to “Moving Pictures”