Random Moving Pictures Thoughts

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Random Moving Pictures Thoughts

Postby Ikoma » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:19 pm

I bet I could sing almost 50% of the episodes from memory... today... as a man facing down his 50th birthday... who has not seen most of them in over three decades at least.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Usagi Yojimbo is finally getting an animated TV show. Kinda...? It sounds like it will be mostly about his descendant but with flashbacks? Not sure how it will go but I love me some Usagi.

https://geektyrant.com/news/usagi-yojim ... chronicles

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:47 pm

Disney is releasing Mulan on Disney+ for a $30 fee starting early next month.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 am

Ikoma wrote:Disney is releasing Mulan on Disney+ for a $30 fee starting early next month.

Is that to own it or to watch it once?
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:24 am

Either way, that's a hard nope for me. I was vaguely interested in the movie, but if I'm paying that much to own it, I'm getting the blu-ray. And for just one viewing? Pfffft, no. I would never pay that much just to watch a movie once.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:47 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:Either way, that's a hard nope for me. I was vaguely interested in the movie, but if I'm paying that much to own it, I'm getting the blu-ray. And for just one viewing? Pfffft, no. I would never pay that much just to watch a movie once.

Neither would I, but for a family of three? You would pay that much to see it in theaters one time.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:56 am

My bet is this is just an early worm tax, and the movie will eventually be included with the subscription service. I'm not interested in this particular film. If this were Star Wars or Marvel, I'd need to decide if it's REALLY worth $30 to see this movie a few months early.

For me, that's a tough sell. A movie theater provides an experience I can't currently replicate at home, particularly if it's IMAX 3D. Without that experience, I'm just paying to get ahead of the spoiler memes.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:01 am

clintmemo wrote:
Ikoma wrote:Disney is releasing Mulan on Disney+ for a $30 fee starting early next month.

Is that to own it or to watch it once?

Rental fee.

As you note, for a family of three that's less than theater tickets for the movie. Some people like viewing things at home (no crowd and all the hassle they bring, watch in your PJs, etc)[1] while others miss the big screen, big sound experience that you just cannot replicate at home.[2] There is however the very real risk of devaluing the experience. I've talked to more than one friend who has gone to the theater to see new Disney movies. They spent more than $30 to take their family. BUT... if they have to see on the small screen, they are willing to wait until it hits Disney+ as a free part of the service -OR- until it hits the more typical $3 to $6 rental fee price point you see for most post-theater movies.

This is complicated. Every individual and family is going to make their own decisions. The aggregate of those decisions will have impacts on the whole process of releasing movies and the survival of theaters.

[1] There could be a whole thread on all the ways the rest of the audience can be a drag on the movie watching experience. They can also be a good thing. I am thinking of my experience watching A Quiet Place in the theater. 'Hearing' the rest of the audience try to be as quiet as possible added to the experience. But I am more than aware that mileage varies on this point.

[2] Yeah, I know. You have a BIG TV. And a professionally installed sound system. Which is better than almost every other home in your state. It's still not as good as a properly done theater screen/sound set up. Which isn't to say that it's not great for you. Again, you don't have to be an audiosnob to enjoy movies. And the real improvements at a theater might not be enough of an improvement to offset increased costs, other external factors (audience, see previous aside), traffic, etc. for you. That's absolutely your choice.

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Ikoma wrote:[1] There could be a whole thread on all the ways the rest of the audience can be a drag on the movie watching experience. They can also be a good thing. I am thinking of my experience watching A Quiet Place in the theater. 'Hearing' the rest of the audience try to be as quiet as possible added to the experience. But I am more than aware that mileage varies on this point.

For best results, wait two or three weeks after opening weekend to avoid the crowds. The smaller the crowd, the less obnoxious it tends to be. Or at the very least, it's harder to hear the obnoxiousness from the other side of the room.

The real magic happens if you can get a matinee showing all to yourself. Better yet, just you and your friends. The most fun you can have at the theater is heckling a trailer without needing to whisper.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:43 pm

Wihzerd wrote: The most fun you can have at the theater is heckling a trailer without needing to whisper.

:agree:

Also the notion of rental fees on a service you already pay a subscription for is laughable. Even if it is a relatively unique case of a digital theatrical release. Onward was available on Amazon instead of theaters but you didn't have to sub to their premium service just for the privalege of paying again to RENT it.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Return to “Moving Pictures”