The Mandalorian

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Re: The Mandalorian

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:21 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Ikoma wrote:Worked for me last night. The girls (re)-watched High School Musical. Then I watched The Mandalorian once they went to bed.

I am in. From the first scene, the team behind this are exhibiting a confidence and control that is impressive. Pilots are hard. This one scored. I love how little (and how much) we know about the Mandalorian. I love how seamlessly - and wordlessly - this fits into the larger Star Wars universe. Everything about the four storm troopers *screams* backstory. Backstory we aren't told. And the final reveal. Yeah, I want it now. Making me wait a week for the next episode is only gonna make me want it more.

Wait it's a show?

Yes. Which is a good sign. All the best parts of Star Wars are in the shows.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:05 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Ikoma wrote:Worked for me last night. The girls (re)-watched High School Musical. Then I watched The Mandalorian once they went to bed.

I am in. From the first scene, the team behind this are exhibiting a confidence and control that is impressive. Pilots are hard. This one scored. I love how little (and how much) we know about the Mandalorian. I love how seamlessly - and wordlessly - this fits into the larger Star Wars universe. Everything about the four storm troopers *screams* backstory. Backstory we aren't told. And the final reveal. Yeah, I want it now. Making me wait a week for the next episode is only gonna make me want it more.

Wait it's a show?

Yes, an eight episode mini-series. The first episode is 40 minutes long. IF all the rest are the same length, you are looking at 320 minutes (5+ hours). Too long for a single movie. And I sincerely doubt all eight episodes will only be 40 minutes long.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:23 pm

I have had constant issues with the service. The first time I tried to watch the show I only got 5 minutes in before it gave a content unavailable message. In those five minutes the character was more effective and did more than Bobba Fett did in 3 movies. He is badass.

I was able to watch the rest of the episode tonight with lag. It was so good.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:10 am

Ikoma wrote: Everything about the four storm troopers *screams* backstory. Backstory we aren't told. And the final reveal. Yeah, I want it now. Making me wait a week for the next episode is only gonna make me want it more.

yea that was great. this is taking place 5yrs after ROTJ and the fall of the empire, and 25 years before the rise of the first order, so the stormtroopers should be on their way out.

Also that bounty hunter droid wasn't actually IG-88. It was IG-11.
-Casey

John
Host

Postby John » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:54 am

I haven't started it yet but I'm going to.

The only criticism that has landed with me so far is that it sort of wastes Pedro Pascal's acting skill to put him in a full face-shielding armor suit but I'm sure that will change.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:49 pm

John wrote:The only criticism that has landed with me so far is that it sort of wastes Pedro Pascal's acting skill to put him in a full face-shielding armor suit but I'm sure that will change.

I'm not sure I buyinto that criticism. Yes, he cannot use his facial expressions. Which is forcing him to rely on movement, tilt of the head, tension in the shoulders, posture, etc. Plus, voice acting on a sparse set of dialog. He's acting the hell out of a very limited tool kit. Which is sometimes where magic can happen. Art needs limitations to force it to grow.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:15 pm

Ikoma wrote:
John wrote:The only criticism that has landed with me so far is that it sort of wastes Pedro Pascal's acting skill to put him in a full face-shielding armor suit but I'm sure that will change.

I'm not sure I buyinto that criticism. Yes, he cannot use his facial expressions. Which is forcing him to rely on movement, tilt of the head, tension in the shoulders, posture, etc. Plus, voice acting on a sparse set of dialog. He's acting the hell out of a very limited tool kit. Which is sometimes where magic can happen. Art needs limitations to force it to grow.

I would wager it probably just takes more time for him to really develop a nuanced personality that people pick up on and internalize. Also choice of juxtaposed cuts and general blocking and framing are pretty important for picking up some of the slack.
Have you found the yellow sign?

mindtakerr
Minnesota Dwharves tosser

Postby mindtakerr » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:39 pm

I think the episodes release on Fridays, so episode 2 might hit tomorrow?

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:14 pm

Ikoma wrote:

As someone who loves the Marvel films one of things that annoys me is how often they run around without their masks on and how often they take them off to say a few lines, put them on to fly around or fight, then whip them off again for their close ups.

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:10 am

Two episodes into The Mandalorian, and I am LOVING this show.

My concept of what a Mandalorian is supposed to be is based on the SW Republic Commando novels by Karen Travis. Their pansy portrayal in SW The Clone Wars was a huge letdown, especially since that was a retcon that killed off the Karen Travis series just before the last book. Mind you, that was well before the Disney acquisition and was therefore unrelated. However, SW The Clone Wars is considered Disney canon, and that fact twisted the knife a bit.

The Mandalorian sums up SO MUCH in one perfect line of dialogue in the second episode. So much that this show gets, that Karen Travis got, that SW The Clone Wars somehow entirely missed.

I'm a Mandalorian. Weapons are part of my religion.

*slow clap*
Kandosii! Mando'ade verde an!

The Mandalorians are once again a warrior culture, not space Switzerland. I am so glad the show turned out this way.

I'm also taking the opportunity to watch the backlog of Rebels and Resistance since those shows were never on Netflix. I'm two seasons into Rebels so far, and it's not bad.

Return to “Moving Pictures”