Simulation Sickness

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Simulation Sickness

Postby tombombodil » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:18 am

This has been an ongoing topic in the games industry since the start of VR but it can also apply to other types of games, especially first person games with rapid or disorienting movement.

It's odd that I never had a problem with it before, ie when I was a teenager/child despite being VERY susceptible to car/motion sickness. And while some recent games like Doom16, Vermintide, among others have given me some simulation sickness (nausia dizziness etc) I finally hit a brick wall with Observation.

Some big contributing factors seem to be games with lots of parallax when panning the camera (lots of different objects moving across your vision at different speeds), games with low FOV (which exacerbates the sensation of spinning) and games where you can move freely in three dimensions like flight sims or space games.

Observation brought these all to ahead by being a game where you fly little drones around a cramped spaceship in zero-G. it's a cool suspenseful little horror game but I could not play it for more than like 10 minutes at a time before getting very sick, and for the first time ever I just gave up trying to play it and watched it on YouTube which did still give me some light dizziness or maybe that was just leftover.

It's weird to me that this has become a problem for me relatively recently, such that games I played before like Portal or Half Life 2 (older games tend to have wya more oarralax and much lower field of view due to the old graphics tech) I just cannot play anymore.
Have you found the yellow sign?

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Re: Simulation Sickness

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:37 am

Never had an issue outside of VR, and even in VR it takes a while for any sort of motion sickness to kick in. On the bright side, VR implementation is so astonishingly shitty that it's really never an issue. I probably spent a grand total of ten hours using my Samsung Odyssey, maybe two of which were actually playing, the rest trying to get it to not suck.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:15 am

there was some talk about it specific to Observation

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/21/18632 ... isk-nausea
-Casey

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:03 pm

A lot of games give me motion sickness. It's odd because boats and vehicles almost never bother me, but even some of the Supermarios get me dizzy. I so want to play Minecraft, but I can't.

Return to “Video Games”