PS5 game trailers

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Re: PS5 game trailers

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:28 pm

my first impressions of the DS5(dualsense controller), noting any changes from DS4..

Feels weightier and slightly bigger than DS4.
Has a nice texture feeling on the back and on the thumbsticks.
Has USB C port on top (this is the latest USB standard that can be plugged in either direction) and dedicated charging nodes on the bottom (you dont need an adapter to charge with the two controller charger). Does not come with USB C cord, but says the console itself does.
Has a microphone below the PS button and a dedicated mic mute button just above the mic which lights up. This is in addition to the headphone/mic port on bottom.
PS button is no longer round, it's just the shape of the PS cutout.
The colored lightbar to show player number and connection status is just around the touchpad and not in the front, which is nice, not as bright or distracting.

I havn't plugged it into anything yet. It flashes blue when you hit the PS button. Will try it with PC or PS4 if I can find a USB C cable. I don't know if I have one. It looks similar to the apple lightning cable but the two aren't compatible.
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:45 am

hooked up the ps5 yesterday, as I was out of the country last week.

The dualsense controller is pretty awesome. playing the pack-in game, Astro's Playroom really shows off the haptics. It's hard to describe, but you can feel every little footstep and surface you're moving on. water feels different from ice which feels different from solid ground. There's a part when you get in a spring suit, and the trigger really feels like you're pulling down a spring, very cool. I hope more games will take advantage of the enhanced controller. Also every level of this game has tons of callbacks to playstation games throughout it's history. there's like 30 easter eggs of robots reenacting classic games.

I also started miles morales, and demon souls. played through the first level of each. the graphics look great on my 4k tv, and loading times are practically gone. beat the first boss on demon's souls without dying, even though I haven't played it since the ps3 days.

PT is not playable on ps5 btw, so I will have to keep it on ps4 ;)
-Casey

John
Host

Postby John » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:00 pm

Cool Sith, can't wait to play DeS remake once we get out of the East Germany phase of this thing's retail lifecycle.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:31 pm

John wrote:Cool Sith, can't wait to play DeS remake once we get out of the East Germany phase of this thing's retail lifecycle.

the gameplay is pretty much 1 for 1 with the original, but there's tons of little QoL improvements. A few I've noticed so far: the camera is better, there's a toolbelt for quick use items, you can see weapon durability on the main gui, and the inventory is easier to quickly navigate. Also you can now directly send an item to your stash which is huge.

Forgot about how you can troll people by leaving incorrect messages on the ground. I've already found some pretty funny ones. :D

I'm starting as a Royal class on the first playthrough, mainly because they have a ranged magic spell to begin with, which certainly makes things easier.
-Casey

John
Host

Postby John » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:55 pm

Excellent. The buzz is that playing as a magic user is significantly easier than playing as a melee fighter, I'll try both.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:39 pm

Sith_Mafia wrote:
John wrote:Cool Sith, can't wait to play DeS remake once we get out of the East Germany phase of this thing's retail lifecycle.

the gameplay is pretty much 1 for 1 with the original, but there's tons of little QoL improvements. A few I've noticed so far: the camera is better, there's a toolbelt for quick use items, you can see weapon durability on the main gui, and the inventory is easier to quickly navigate. Also you can now directly send an item to your stash which is huge.

Forgot about how you can troll people by leaving incorrect messages on the ground. I've already found some pretty funny ones. :D

I'm starting as a Royal class on the first playthrough, mainly because they have a ranged magic spell to begin with, which certainly makes things easier.

Yeah, From didn't have anything to do with the remake, so the gameplay is basically untouched. The team that did it was the same team that did Shadow of the Colossus, so all the assets and effects and environments were rebuilt from the ground up, but very little changed mechanically. mostly some lite modernization wrt camera and controls etc.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 am

my son and I platinumed the Astro's Playroom pack in game. It's certainly worth trying out and much better than expected. At the end there's a speedrun for all 8 of the level types and it's fun to keep improving your times. Right now we're like 5000th in the world in total time for all 8 combined.

Played some more of Miles Morales and it's smooth as ever. Not a lot changed from the original formula, just more story and prettier graphics. Climbing up one of the tall towers and looking across the city is pretty amazing. The draw distance is something I've never seen in a console game before.

Also started Bugsnax, the free ps+ game. It's got a funny pokemon type vibe. You catch these bug/food items that each have unique paths and conditions for being caught. Then you feed them to animals which in turn changes their body to be part of what you fed them. It's humorous
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:33 am

Beat the 1-2, 2-1 and 3-1 bosses in Demon's souls. I think I'm already further than I made it on the PS3 version.

3-1 took a long time to find the boss room, its a jail which is a bit of a maze since there's lots of backtracking to open locked doors once you find the key. The guards that can stun you and shoot magic in narrow hallways were difficult to avoid. and the stupid invisible phantom archer right before the boss room :evil:
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:10 am

beat 4-1, 5-1, and 2-2 bosses. Here's my posed screenshot after taking down the Flamelurker. :wave:

I mostly just use magic, and I got the Crescent Falchion sword which scales with magic. It's mainly used when I run out of MP.
-Casey

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:01 pm

John wrote:Excellent. The buzz is that playing as a magic user is significantly easier than playing as a melee fighter, I'll try both.

Yeah, similar to DS1 there are far fewer situations where they force you into a small room with nowhere to kite against fast aggressive enemies. And mana makes it way easier to use spells as a primary form of DPS relatively early. Thus patience can perform just about as well as skill in dodging and reposting.

Return to “Video Games”