Xbox Series X

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Xbox Series X

Postby Ikoma » Thu May 07, 2020 11:47 am

Ikoma wrote:I've already started squirreling cash away. But I won't buy the brand new initial release. I've seen far too many initial releases (of ALL gaming consoles/platforms) need to shake down issues before they become truly stable. But six months after initial release, yup. I'll be buying one.

I know I am the Xbox fanboy in this particular group. But after seeing the game footage released today for some of the games that will be release games for the Series X, my decision to hold off on a day one purchase is slipping. It doesn't help that with my wife's new job really going great, we are making more than we ever have before and I think I'll be able to have the cash saved up for a day one buy.

Plus, I just love Game Pass.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Mon May 11, 2020 11:09 am

This lockdown finally motivated me to make a mount for my racing wheel and I spent some time playing Forza 5. Well, that was disappointing. Now you just select a fully upgraded car and don't do any of the tuning. Now the only series that still held interest for consoles has lost the primary differentiating feature that made me want it.

Probably a good thing since they don't like to have back comparability with previous gen peripherals and I wouldn't buy yet another racing wheel.

I really liked the original and 360. The one and it's games have all disappointed me. I think I'm sticking with PC from here on out

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed May 13, 2020 12:47 pm

BottledViolence wrote:This lockdown finally motivated me to make a mount for my racing wheel and I spent some time playing Forza 5. Well, that was disappointing. Now you just select a fully upgraded car and don't do any of the tuning. Now the only series that still held interest for consoles has lost the primary differentiating feature that made me want it.

Probably a good thing since they don't like to have back comparability with previous gen peripherals and I wouldn't buy yet another racing wheel.

I really liked the original and 360. The one and it's games have all disappointed me. I think I'm sticking with PC from here on out

Especially since you can play all xBox games on Windows now.

Also Side note, I don't think any console has been a good value proposition at launch. I think there's a strong argument to be made for staying a full generation behind, and when the new ones comeout you buy a bundle with the previous gen console free of hardware bugs, plus the 30 best games of that generation for like half the original launch price of that console. But even not going that far, waiting a year or two for the manufacturing to get streamlined and hardware/software bugs to get ironed out, and a few killer apps to launch etc.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed May 13, 2020 2:02 pm

tombombodil wrote:Also Side note, I don't think any console has been a good value proposition at launch. I think there's a strong argument to be made for staying a full generation behind, and when the new ones comeout you buy a bundle with the previous gen console free of hardware bugs, plus the 30 best games of that generation for like half the original launch price of that console. But even not going that far, waiting a year or two for the manufacturing to get streamlined and hardware/software bugs to get ironed out, and a few killer apps to launch etc.

That is absolutely the smart answer. It's been my position on every previous generation. My X1 is just fine. I got it after the X1 was about 18 months old and have had no bug issues. I have a ton of games (current gen and older) to play on it. I have no *need* for a Series X. And I think I will end up making the smart decision of waiting at least a year.

But I cannot deny the pull... the novelty and newness.

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Thu May 14, 2020 8:59 am

tombombodil wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:This lockdown finally motivated me to make a mount for my racing wheel and I spent some time playing Forza 5. Well, that was disappointing. Now you just select a fully upgraded car and don't do any of the tuning. Now the only series that still held interest for consoles has lost the primary differentiating feature that made me want it.

Especially since you can play all xBox games on Windows now.

Also Side note, I don't think any console has been a good value proposition at launch. I think there's a strong argument to be made for staying a full generation behind, and when the new ones comeout you buy a bundle with the previous gen console free of hardware bugs, plus the 30 best games of that generation for like half the original launch price of that console. But even not going that far, waiting a year or two for the manufacturing to get streamlined and hardware/software bugs to get ironed out, and a few killer apps to launch etc.

I don't really play single player games these days, and with everyone I still game with playing on PC, I'm not sure I would ever get around to buying one. When the One came out, it got my old group back on, but the launch was really poorly implemented for groups and things fell apart. That's the last time I talked to most of those guys.

The other issue for me is that when playing online, I hate starting after everyone has been playing a while. I don't mind being lost and confused if everyone else is too, but coming in cold when everyone else knows all the maps and has been practicing for a year sucks! :lol:

DCS has some really cool new modules coming out, IL2 has some cool stuff on the horizon, and we usually find some random goodness on sale through steam, so I think I may have dropped off the console carousel for good.

Who knows, I may pick one up cheap later on if my kid wants one, but she's 24 and lives an hour away, so it's not like we spend much time gaming. :lol:

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Thu May 14, 2020 10:45 am

BottledViolence wrote:

The other issue for me is that when playing online, I hate starting after everyone has been playing a while. I don't mind being lost and confused if everyone else is too, but coming in cold when everyone else knows all the maps and has been practicing for a year sucks! :lol:

This.
So many new multiplayer games not only want you to group up but also want it to be your lifestyle game that I've mostly stopped playing multiplayer games.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:47 pm

Smart Delivery.... the newest hook to try and convince me to be an earlier adopter of the Series X.

EDIT: Although... a side effect might be to let me just play next gen games at lower risk, which might let me hold off on a Series X. :think:

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:44 pm

Yup... more thinking about it. And Smart Delivery is going to let me wait for a Series X by not feeling as much pressure from the cool newest releases. I can safely buy Cyberpunk 2077 or Assassin's Creed Valhalla and know that I have the Series X version when I'm ready to upgrade the hardware.

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:31 pm

Ikoma wrote:Yup... more thinking about it. And Smart Delivery is going to let me wait for a Series X by not feeling as much pressure from the cool newest releases. I can safely buy Cyberpunk 2077 or Assassin's Creed Valhalla and know that I have the Series X version when I'm ready to upgrade the hardware.

Just heard about this feature. Long overdue.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:29 pm

So... Microsoft released a lot of details about the new Series S (smaller Series X with no disk drive). Including the price. $299. That makes me hopeful that the Series X might be $399. Maybe more, but almost certainly not $499. That makes me happy.

Return to “Video Games”