Xbox Series X

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Re: Xbox Series X

Postby mindtakerr » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:20 am

clintmemo wrote:
mindtakerr wrote:
clintmemo wrote:Do I remember Windows 7? lol - a few months ago, I tossed out a DOS disk.

DR-DOS FTW

...I think I used that at one point, but I can't remember. It probably would have been in the Dos 3 or 4 days. IIRC, Dos 5 allowed you to set all the memory stuff (what a pain that was). I remember setting up a system of batch files that copied different config.sys and autoexec.bat files for whatever you needed and then it rebooted and launched that application. Dos 6 had a menu system built in that did the same thing.

Honestly, I only ever used DR-DOS when some boot disk used it or something. I thought it was “Doctor DOS” for a long time.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:26 pm

Windows Server has just been using the year it was released. They are up to 2019 now.

Of course there are different versions of each, Datacenter, K, Educational, Core, etc.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Chad wrote:Windows Server has just been using the year it was released. They are up to 2019 now.

Of course there are different versions of each, Datacenter, K, Educational, Core, etc.

It has actually been amazingly consistent with that as well. Since Windows Server 2000 it has been named for the year. I still don't know who thought NT was a good name prior to that. I mean really putting "New Technology" into the name of your product.

Android naming standards have always bugged me. Trying to figure out which junk food name is newer. I mean really in what world is a jelly bean and upgrade from an Ice-cream Sandwich? Of course just to be contrary I should complain that they have dropped that with 10.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Google has dropped the food thing, now it's just version numbers.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:03 pm

Chad wrote:Google has dropped the food thing, now it's just version numbers.

That was the last line of my post. lol That I should be contrary for them dropping it and complain about the name 10.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:20 pm

Wayne wrote:
Chad wrote:Google has dropped the food thing, now it's just version numbers.

That was the last line of my post. lol That I should be contrary for them dropping it and complain about the name 10.

I blame my Google Bananas Foster or whatever it's called.

K-Mech
Teller of gaming stories

Postby K-Mech » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:44 pm

At least I still have no plans to buy one, so no issue for me there...

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:21 pm

Wayne wrote:
Chad wrote:Windows Server has just been using the year it was released. They are up to 2019 now.

It has actually been amazingly consistent with that as well. Since Windows Server 2000 it has been named for the year. I still don't know who thought NT was a good name prior to that. I mean really putting "New Technology" into the name of your product.

I'm not sure if you were in IT back in 1997 (?) but
Windows NT really was a game changer. A lot of people in the business world never took windows (server or desktop) seriously until NT. All the old grognards were either hipsters that ran unix or serious business people that used IBM. IBM meant OS/2 - ugh.
Of course they all ran Windows 95se at home. ;)
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:34 am

clintmemo wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Windows NT really was a game changer. A lot of people in the business world never took windows (server or desktop) seriously until NT. All the old grognards were either hipsters that ran unix or serious business people that used IBM. IBM meant OS/2 - ugh.

Windows 98 was really a rock solid OS from a stability and functionality standpoint. Zero security and all kinds of issues along those lines, but still I have fond memories. I used 95 as well and have even dabbled with 4.11 but 98 was the first Windows OS I remember fondly.

Windows NT was the first Microsoft windows attempt as a real network OS. I managed an NT directory for a very short time in 2001 as well as Exchange 5.5 while doing a migration to Server 2000 Active Directory and Exchange 2000. 1997 was the 4.0 release of NT. The original version 3.1 was released in 1993. So it was "New Technology" from 1993 to 1997. Putting "New" in your name is always a bad idea.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:32 am

Wayne wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Windows 98 was really a rock solid OS from a stability and functionality standpoint. Zero security and all kinds of issues along those lines, but still I have fond memories. I used 95 as well and have even dabbled with 4.11 but 98 was the first Windows OS I remember fondly.

Windows NT was the first Microsoft windows attempt as a real network OS. I managed an NT directory for a very short time in 2001 as well as Exchange 5.5 while doing a migration to Server 2000 Active Directory and Exchange 2000. 1997 was the 4.0 release of NT. The original version 3.1 was released in 1993. So it was "New Technology" from 1993 to 1997. Putting "New" in your name is always a bad idea.

98 was great for anyone that was not doing development work. It did not multi-task well at all. (and it had a fantastic bug where you could launch a webpage that would cause it freak out and then blue screen. You could even embed a link to the page in an email and if the person opened the email (not even click the link) it ran off and then blue screened.)
NT did but it was not very user friendly. Windows 2000 was the first Windows that worked well for developers.
Before that, if you were doing DOS development (not windows development), OS/2 was a much better choice.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Return to “Video Games”