Xbox Series X

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Xbox Series X

Postby Ikoma » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:41 am

First thoughts... I like the obelisk looking form factor. Part of me kinda wishes it shared the 2001: A Space Odyssey obelisk ratio. But that would never work. It has been confirmed that you can lay the 'tower' on it's side.

I do love that the controller looks near identical to the current controller. In my humble opinion, the Xbox controller has been the best controller since Duke debuted.

The name is... ok? We went from Xbox to Xbox 360 to Xbox One to Xbox Series X.

I've already started squirreling cash away. But I won't buy the brand new initial release. I've seen far too many initial releases (of ALL gaming consoles/platforms) need to shake down issues before they become truly stable. But six months after initial release, yup. I'll be buying one.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wayne
Host

Re: Xbox Series X

Postby Wayne » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:07 am

The console look reminds me of a speaker. I think it fits well into an entertainment center. I don't plan on getting it, but I have never owned an XBox. I have always hated their controller as being bulky and uncomfortable with Playstation's controller design being such a perfect fit for my hands that I use a similar one for computer and Retropi.

This is so going to be known as XBox SeX.

It will have a slightly more compact ergonomic design that increases the percentage of the population that can use it comfortably.

That part is interesting for me since the controller has been one of the biggest detractors for me.

My biggest surprise is the statement that they will continue to support physical disks for game distribution. With the X-Box One S All Digital version coming out this year I expected them to go entirely download for game distribution.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:27 pm

I think this will be the first iteration of the Xbox I don't buy. I probably have less than 50 hours on my launch edition XBOne. I haven't been impressed with any of the games enough to pay the premium over a steam sale version, and don't have a really good set up for my racing wheel and pedals for Forza. I'll probably rectify that in the near future, and play the hell out of Forza for a while, but that really just single player for me at this point, so no need to upgrade.

I'm sure there will be some titles that tempt me, but I'm really into flights Sims, and if Star Citizen ever reaches something resembling an actual game, there probably no way I'll have the extra time to justify buying another console.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:18 pm

BottledViolence wrote:I think this will be the first iteration of the Xbox I don't buy. I probably have less than 50 hours on my launch edition XBOne. I haven't been impressed with any of the games enough to pay the premium over a steam sale version, and don't have a really good set up for my racing wheel and pedals for Forza. I'll probably rectify that in the near future, and play the hell out of Forza for a while, but that really just single player for me at this point, so no need to upgrade.

I'm sure there will be some titles that tempt me, but I'm really into flights Sims, and if Star Citizen ever reaches something resembling an actual game, there probably no way I'll have the extra time to justify buying another console.

They really dropped the ball on having a steady stream of killer-app exclusives. That's honestly one of the main reasons Sony and Nintendo both had a much larger market shares this gen; their exclusives weren't for everyone, but they were unique and high quality and weren't just rote sequels in tired franchises, and most importantly they existed.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:47 pm

I don't think they plan on making the same mistake again. The only two game announced (at this very moment) for the SeX (thanks Wayne!) are two exclusives (Hale and a Hellblade sequel). Plus, Microsoft has been buying studios a lot lately. (7 studios snapped up in the last 2 years.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Game_Studios

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:48 pm

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:11 am

I think Xbox (i.e. Phil Spencer) is making all the right decisions with the Xbox now, and fixing their royally botched launch of the Xbox One. I know they have bought a lot of new studios, and that's great.

I bought an Xbox One, mostly to play Rise of the Tomb Raider (that was a timed exclusive), but I haven't touched it much since (except to play Catherine before it was announced for PS4).

I just generally don't go for their exclusives. In fact, the original reason I bought a 360 was Mass Effect. Although, I did get a lot of mileage out of the 360 before getting a PS3.

That said, I may pick one up eventually. I know that Xbox Game Pass is an insanely good deal, I just don't really gravitate towards the Xbox platform at all.

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:14 am

Also, it's a brand-new world with Sony make The Show for Xbox and Switch and Xbox making Ori for Switch and cross play finally happening... maybe there's a light at the end of this exclusives tunnel?

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:06 am

-Casey

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:01 am

Sith_Mafia wrote:Image

I wish they'd just calm down and start doing things the sensible way. Nobody would object to them calling it the Xbox 4. And naming things that way would cease to be a problem long before the 360th version.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Return to “Video Games”