Epic v. Steam

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
User avatar
McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero
Posts: 13503
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:48 am
Location: Nova Albion
Contact:

Re: Epic v. Steam

Postby McNutcase » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:37 am

Well, I grabbed the launcher last night and gave it a look-see.

Steam sucked less in November 2004. Origin sucks less. Battle.net sucks less. GOG Galaxy sucked less when it wasn't even a beta yet. This thing is BAD. Notable points:
- display names must be globally unique, ignoring case. That's really not a good idea if you're trying for numbers to take on Steam.
- throttling is not available. It will saturate your internet connection unless you take action at a higher level to prevent that. Have these people never heard of shared connections, or politeness?

At this point, I can't recommend it. The UX is terrible, it's poorly designed, and even the free game bribes don't compensate for that.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12205
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: Epic v. Steam

Postby tombombodil » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:37 pm

McNutcase wrote:Well, I grabbed the launcher last night and gave it a look-see.

Steam sucked less in November 2004. Origin sucks less. Battle.net sucks less. GOG Galaxy sucked less when it wasn't even a beta yet. This thing is BAD. Notable points:
- display names must be globally unique, ignoring case. That's really not a good idea if you're trying for numbers to take on Steam.
- throttling is not available. It will saturate your internet connection unless you take action at a higher level to prevent that. Have these people never heard of shared connections, or politeness?

At this point, I can't recommend it. The UX is terrible, it's poorly designed, and even the free game bribes don't compensate for that.


Yeah it's like they looked at Windows 10's tile interface and said "Lets see if we can make that even more restrictive!".

I'll likely use it the way I use Origin or Uplay, I'll download it to play specific games I can't play anywhere else, and then uninstall it when i uninstall the game.
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz
Posts: 6015
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:15 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Re: Epic v. Steam

Postby Knaight » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:00 pm

clintmemo wrote:Beer is beer is beer. PBR used to be HUGE in the middle of the 1970's and then they just went away. Now they have come back as some kind of hipster craft beer.

This is like saying "food is food is food". Even the beers that seem like they should be interchangeable commodity crap beers (PBR, Bud, Coors) have strong adherents that favor some of them in particular, and that's without getting into craft beers.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title
Posts: 22734
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:38 am
Location: Louisville KY
Contact:

Re: Epic v. Steam

Postby clintmemo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:23 am

Knaight wrote:
clintmemo wrote:Beer is beer is beer. PBR used to be HUGE in the middle of the 1970's and then they just went away. Now they have come back as some kind of hipster craft beer.

This is like saying "food is food is food".


I would argue that that is not the case.
Food has differing nutritional value (Salad vs sugar) as well as socially normally times to eat it (popcorn vs a steak dinner). Beer doesn't really have either of those. There isn't really a socially acceptable time to drink one kind of beer and not another.

Food is a necessity. Beer is not.

But lastly, and my main point really, is that the kind of beer you like, if you like any, is a personal preference that really makes no difference. If your favorite beer went away tomorrow, you would have no problems finding another beer to drink instead within a short period of time, because surely someone else makes something similar. If you couldn't find one, then you would settle on something else. It is highly unlikely that a regular beer drinker you would give up beer if their favorite kind went away. At that level, beer is a commodity. If one disappears, another takes its place.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

User avatar
Glorious_Leader
BABUSHKA!
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:57 pm
Location: Pensacola, FL, USA

Re: Epic v. Steam

Postby Glorious_Leader » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:08 pm

clintmemo wrote: There isn't really a socially acceptable time to drink one kind of beer and not another.

Spoken like a man who's never tried to drink a 40 oz. at an upscale event.
А ну, чики-брики и в дамки

User avatar
Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz
Posts: 6015
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:15 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Re: Epic v. Steam

Postby Knaight » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:05 am

clintmemo wrote:But lastly, and my main point really, is that the kind of beer you like, if you like any, is a personal preference that really makes no difference. If your favorite beer went away tomorrow, you would have no problems finding another beer to drink instead within a short period of time, because surely someone else makes something similar. If you couldn't find one, then you would settle on something else. It is highly unlikely that a regular beer drinker you would give up beer if their favorite kind went away. At that level, beer is a commodity. If one disappears, another takes its place.

In the context of competing beers this is largely irrelevant though, much the same way that people will always find some food but you still see restaurants, livestock, and even crops rise and fall because of tastes. The products within the market are differentiated significantly; this isn't the chemical feedstock market (where differences in the same product, here a feed chemical of a particular purity, are generally due to someone screwing up), but one where intentionally different beers appeal to different people and those differences can push the market around.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer
Posts: 3064
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Epic v. Steam

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:48 am

i have no idea what you guys are talking about, but i grabbed subnautica for free. it even let me add it as a non steam game and still use steam overlay :thumbup:

it doesnt even use the launcher once you have the game downloaded (unlike fortnite)
-Casey

User avatar
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title
Posts: 22734
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:38 am
Location: Louisville KY
Contact:

Re: Epic v. Steam

Postby clintmemo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:35 am

Knaight wrote:
clintmemo wrote:But lastly, and my main point really, is that the kind of beer you like, if you like any, is a personal preference that really makes no difference. If your favorite beer went away tomorrow, you would have no problems finding another beer to drink instead within a short period of time, because surely someone else makes something similar. If you couldn't find one, then you would settle on something else. It is highly unlikely that a regular beer drinker you would give up beer if their favorite kind went away. At that level, beer is a commodity. If one disappears, another takes its place.

In the context of competing beers this is largely irrelevant though, much the same way that people will always find some food but you still see restaurants, livestock, and even crops rise and fall because of tastes. The products within the market are differentiated significantly; this isn't the chemical feedstock market (where differences in the same product, here a feed chemical of a particular purity, are generally due to someone screwing up), but one where intentionally different beers appeal to different people and those differences can push the market around.



But going all the way back to the original argument, a "beer for the masses," like PBR once was, and like Bud Lite is now, according to their commercials ( Dilly! Dilly!), doesn't get displaced because a vastly superior beer comes along and takes over the market. They might have better marketing, but the product is basically the same.
The exact same thing could happen to steam.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12205
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: Epic v. Steam

Postby tombombodil » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:05 pm

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly
Posts: 11630
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:37 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Epic v. Steam

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Glorious_Leader wrote:
clintmemo wrote: There isn't really a socially acceptable time to drink one kind of beer and not another.

Spoken like a man who's never tried to drink a 40 oz. at an upscale event.


Billy Dee disagrees. 8-)


Return to “Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests