Stellaris

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Stellaris

Postby Ikoma » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:10 pm

And a bunch of Stellaris DLC just went on sale. YES! (Not Synthetic Dawn, but $9.99 is decent for a Paradox Game DLC pack.)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

K-Mech
Teller of gaming stories

Postby K-Mech » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:11 pm

Chad wrote:
K-Mech wrote:Sometimes waiting is worth it, this thread got me interested in Stellaris...

Started researching on You Tube watching playthroughs and tips for Stellaris newbies.
Saw Stellaris was 40 on Steam, goggled next steam sale, and that started today. Got the Game and all three 3 DLC this afternoon than what Steam was asking for just the main game yesterday...

EDIT: Ooops, my bad, missed one important DLC, but it's only $10 on steam (Synthetic Dawn) and it looks like it can wait...

Not trying to spend your $10 but Synthetic Dawn is really awesome.

Yeah, have enough in my Steam Wallet to get it, just started playing the game and haven't gotten back to Steam to buy it yet ;)

First game was going well until about 12 years in both my science vessels got jumped while exploring/surveying and a roving alien ship pack destroyed my small but at the time growing fleet. 2nd game was a little more even so far

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Yeah I like how they handle the fragile ships.

They have good bug-out drives. Better bug-out drives than the heavy combat ships, certainly. But they're not perfect. If you lose one, it probably got one-shot, and whatever one-shot it is probably a big threat at least until you're fielding 20-30k+ fleets.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:39 pm

Finally was able to really sink my teeth into the game this holiday break and I don't think I'm gonna be playing much else for a few months.

The Enlightened Wookie Empire (3rd real try) has a nice solid start but I am trying desperately to get a tech leg up before borders start to but up against each other.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:38 am

Chad made a big deal about this in game in Discord chat a while back, so I looked it up. The base game was in my Humble Bundle monthly subscription at some point, so I decided to give it a shot.

Not a bad game, considering I've got 50 hours on it so far.

John
Host

Postby John » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 am

Yeah it's fun. I'm doing the robot thing now, I've gotten to the point where I can spank the game on normal mode with a meta-optimized race/government. At least until the crisis hits. If it hits. I've only played one campaign all the way out to the victory screen and the crisis never happened.

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:08 am

Well now I'm going for achievements like a degenerate.

Got a Determined Exterminators file with a tiny biological rump left ignored on the outer fringes while I build all the megastructures for those cheevs. The Contingency fired and I obliterated it as fast as my fleets could jump on top of their base planets. Is it just me or are they WAY easier than the Prethoryns?

It felt that way, but I have to adjust for the fact that I have only faced the Prethoryns as a normal organic human/humanoid space-nation and have only faced the Contingency as a fleet of Terminators with fat military bonuses.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:39 pm

John wrote:Well now I'm going for achievements like a degenerate.

Got a Determined Exterminators file with a tiny biological rump left ignored on the outer fringes while I build all the megastructures for those cheevs. The Contingency fired and I obliterated it as fast as my fleets could jump on top of their base planets. Is it just me or are they WAY easier than the Prethoryns?

It felt that way, but I have to adjust for the fact that I have only faced the Prethoryns as a normal organic human/humanoid space-nation and have only faced the Contingency as a fleet of Terminators with fat military bonuses.

I love playing the robots, all... three? kinds are a lot of fun and different enough from each other. Boy howdy do they need to be nerfed. Way... WAY to powerful in the mid and late game while not being to hard to get set up in the early game.

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Yeah I'm told that the determined exterminators are actually underpowered compared to the assimilators and, if you massage the game mechanics correctly, the caretakers.

But I just rolled the whole galaxy with the exterminators, two awakened empires and the endgame crisis included (on normal difficulty). That of course doesn't prove anything about the relative power of the exterminators, caretakers, and assimilators, but dang.

I think the determined exterminators are the epitome of the early-game-is-hard-but-late-game-is-easy guys that Paradox often has in their games. Generally, the robots are slower early but better later. And generally, the fanatical murderers (organic or robot) are hard to survive with at the beginning but much more powerful than a comparably sized empire if they make it to the endgame. The exterminators are both of these at the same time. They have slow acceleration but very high maximum speed, if you will.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Return to “Video Games”