Actual Battletech

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: Actual Battletech

Postby GinDragon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:35 am

BadMrMojo wrote:Just finished the campaign last night.

As a Hare-Brained Schemes story, I loved the art, music, voice acting, and writing in general. No surprises there. As a game in its own right, setting any nostalgia aside, I was as pleased as I was with Shadowrun Returns (which is pretty high praise).

As an on-screen adaptation of the board game that I grew up with, I was hesitant, but eventually won over. I like the idea of the hardpoints to preserve the core concepts of the mechs, even if it made me use models that I traditionally didn't care for. I accept the balance changes to the weaponry, even though I felt that the balance was still a bit off and there was still a "best" solution in most cases (pssssst... it's max armor + LRMs for 3 of your 4 mechs). I'm on board with the initiative and the other similarly small adjustments to the core rules as being preferable in a slightly faster-paced format.

I expected to be a bit curmudgeonly about the changes and I found myself doing so on occasion. "Damn you for making the AC-2 do more than half the damage of a L.Laser!" and all that. On the whole, however, I felt it had the same core identity and didn't find it too terribly jarring most of the time. That's a big win in my book.

tldr; Surprisingly worth the $28 or so as the biggest budget title I've purchased in ages. I expected to like the production values and chafe at the Battletech-ish gameplay, but ended up enjoying both.

LRMs all day? I found I'm getting great mileage out of autocannons, once I got over being worried about the weight to damage ratios. having all your damage hit one location is a huge advantage. I mix those up with LRMs. I'm finally moving away from just loading up on lasers because they have a better damage to weight ratio.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:19 pm

I haven't played since the last round of updates. I need to jump back in the saddle and see if I like the changes.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 am

zircher wrote:I haven't played since the last round of updates. I need to jump back in the saddle and see if I like the changes.

I played a mission or two last weekend, there definitely seem to be some quality of life improvements. It seemed subtle though.

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 pm

Spammy V wrote:I'm running into a problem where, since I've started watching Fang of the Sun Dougram, I keep calling my Shadowhawk a Dougram and humming the theme song.

Also I know it's the year 3000 and I probably should be more sensitive but every time that Kamea's speech impediment kicks in I find myself starting to chuckle at her.

Wait, what speech impediment?
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Wed May 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Spammy V wrote:The Panzyr Defense mission (stop the APCs, get guilt-tripped because you're literally incapable of saving the hospital) is like exhibit A of why this game needs to let you deploy two lances.

I think some of the objectives are luck as to whether you happen to be in a good enough position to make them or not. Same with damage, I was able to save the hospital but it was down to the wire.

However, I had the last mission where I nailed a mech with multiple alpha strikes and he still lived long enough to kill an APC. :(
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Wed May 15, 2019 7:51 pm

I picked this up last year when it made it to Linux and just finished the campaign. I restarted the campaign after the third or fourth story mission because I was getting my butt handed to me.

After doing some skirmishes to get the hang of the game I did a lot better. Other than moving all ammo to the legs I pretty much ran all stock mechs.

Is anyone up for doing skirmishes?
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

Return to “Video Games”