Free Games and Stuff

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Chad
Host

Re: Free Games and Stuff

Postby Chad » Fri May 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Sith_Mafia wrote:
Chad wrote:
Sith_Mafia wrote:Age of Wonders III is free on humble store

I enjoyed AoW3. It's very abusable once you figure out the mechanics but a fun game.

i take it it's like a CIV 4x type game?

Yeah, high fantasy CIV 4x with race style factions and the combat is like a min-RTS.

Lots of fun until you get to the point where you can curb stomp everything and the RTS parts become a drag. If remember right when you auto-complete the battles all it takes into account are the forces present and none of the fun battle winning stuff you can do with them. Like if you are sieging a city with walls and you have a character with wall climbing but don't have siege equipment you'll lose your army on an auto calc since it dosen't under stand your guys can just climb up the walls.

It's been a long time since I've played though.

Zylo
I am the story stick

Postby Zylo » Sat May 11, 2019 9:32 am

That's about accurate Chad. IT suffers from civilization bloat like many of the games in the genera where eventually managing your cities and troops stops being fun and starts being a chore. And the poorly implemented auto battle does not help with this at all.

I recommend playing with the options to get a better experience. Personally I reduce the number of city's on the map, heroes that any civ can have, and slow down the build times for tech. (otherwise you can rush for war machines while everyone else still has archers and pointy sticks)

Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Postby Knaight » Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 am

It's less RTS and more turn based tactics - and it emphasizes the war side a lot more heavily than Civ does.

I'd also generally just make sure I used expansion content, especially the new victory conditions. Wiping out a leader and their capital at the same time is just tedious, the expansion victories generally kick in a bit earlier and avoid the cleanup stage.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

John
Host

Postby John » Mon May 13, 2019 9:41 am

Sometimes knowing whether or not to pick auto-resolve is a game defining decision in itself.

I fired up Shogun 2 for some giggles last weekend and took Kyoto with some push-broom ashigaru stacks (mind you, they had good generals and entry-level-samurai morale power because they were salty veterans) and autoresolving because the autoresolver is pretty bad at accurately calculating the advantage of a maxed out fortress. It just sees "ok, attacking force has a triple stack of ok troops and defending force has a single stack of great troops, this will be a 300 situation where the defenders inflict horrible losses, but all die."

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 pm

John wrote:Sometimes knowing whether or not to pick auto-resolve is a game defining decision in itself.

Definitely. When we were playing through Warhammer:TW/TWII we ended up playing through a lot of battles we knew would be a cake walk just because if we auto'd them we would suffer terrible losses. It kind of sucked because we would fight really boring battles just so random elite units and heroes wouldn't get killed. I ended up making generic middle of the road armies just to do mop up duty so we could keep the game going with autos and not risk losing a really good units.

John
Host

Postby John » Mon May 13, 2019 11:38 pm

BottledViolence wrote:generic middle of the road armies

Hey now, these are your elite units if they're the best units you make. :beer:

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue May 14, 2019 1:53 am

BottledViolence wrote:
John wrote:Sometimes knowing whether or not to pick auto-resolve is a game defining decision in itself.

Definitely. When we were playing through Warhammer:TW/TWII we ended up playing through a lot of battles we knew would be a cake walk just because if we auto'd them we would suffer terrible losses. It kind of sucked because we would fight really boring battles just so random elite units and heroes wouldn't get killed. I ended up making generic middle of the road armies just to do mop up duty so we could keep the game going with autos and not risk losing a really good units.

I do like that it's often worth playing battle you will 100% lose, and then have to decide if you allow yourself to get wiped in order to wipe out as many enemy units as possible or just kite them around the battle field for as long as possible to lose as few as possible.

With Orks you almost always want to just let yourself get routed and kill as many fuckers as possible because even a big army that loses significant WAAAGH!!! momentum is a huge liability.

Degrees of failure and success make strategy games very interesting.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu May 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Stories Untold is free in the epic store
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu May 16, 2019 3:25 pm

free twitch prime games for May:

The Little Acre
Whispering Willows
Stealth Bastard Deluxe
Majesty Collection

Also a 30 day free subscription to Crunchyroll anime streaming service
-Casey

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Thu May 16, 2019 4:53 pm

Guacamelee is free on Humble.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Return to “Video Games”