Random Video Game Thoughts

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Random Video Game Thoughts

Postby Ikoma » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:05 am

Kinda tongue in cheek on the Skyrim II v Elder Scrolls VI thing.

No way Microsoft does Xbox only exclusives anymore. Xbox/PC exclusives? Sure. Microsoft is all about Game Pass now. The hardware is nice to them but how much do they actually make off a single box? $50 profit? They want the $10/mo. from PC only users and the $15/mo. from Xbox users. Here's the thing, I think that's STILL a great deal for _me_. Yeah, I'm paying $180/year (assuming I don't find a deal, which is literally never the case [to date]) but I get way more than that in value. I get at least 3 major games per year out of it. I get a whole batch of indie games. I get games my kids love. I occasionally even get a game my wife likes! I get what are essentially full demos for dozens of games I would have been interested in but ultimately don't end up liking. Under the old schema, I would have bought some of those games and ended up not getting full value. Now, I try whatever catches my interest. And all this is on top of the online play of Live (which you would be paying a smaller amount for on either the Xbox or PS anyway). Oh... and on top of all of that, once the Apple situation is ironed out (whether that means Apple & everyone else figuring this shit out -or- it means I buy an Android phone for my next phone), I get all these games on all my devices via xCloud.

The value will only improve even more IF the price of a AAA game goes up to $70 (or more) as multiple game news sites are reporting is likely w/ the next generation. And the value only improves the more studios Microsoft snatches up, even IF they let the games go to the PS because Game Pass customers still get them for the price of their subscription.

Oh, and this isn't even taking into account the switch Microsoft is making to how it's actually selling the consoles. The new All Access options are hinting at a world where consoles (at least the Xbox) act more like phones do now. A new and improved version comes out every year. But all their games work on all their current consoles (yes, eventually old console models do drop off) AND thanks to Game Pass and Smart Delivery all of your current games work even better once you do decide to upgrade your console. There will be some people who get the newest and greatest Xbox each and every year. They sell the previous box to finance part of the new box. (My little brother currently does this for phones. He's an iPhone fanatic. A new iPhone comes out and he sells his approx. one year old phone and buys the new one.) But most people won't. (Most people don't buy into every phone cycle either. I certainly don't.) They have their X One. They use it until it starts to give them too much trouble. Then they upgrade. Maybe the buy a brand new Series Pi (random name). Maybe they buy a used Series X off an early adopter who wants to upgrade or a discounted Series X off a retailer looking to clear shelf space. Either way, their entire library of games just got BETTER and they didn't lose anything. (Every PC player should recognize this process.) Microsoft gets to annually promote the improvements to 'the most powerful console in the world' and keeps a steady stream of subscription fees rolling in.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Yeah Ikoma from what I've heard Microsoft is ride or die on making all of its releases PC compatible.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:06 pm

Clearly the creator of this meme is not familiar with MSFS2020.

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:11 am

Holy crap, Hades is good.

That is all.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:46 am

Turns out the Fortnitemares mode is a lot of fun. Basically, if you die during a match (which most will) you immediately return to the same match as a Shadow. A Shadow is a ghost like creature with no ranged weapons, cannot harvest or build, but does have some new ghost powers - like being invisible most of the time. Oh, and a 'sense the living' power that operates with a cool down. You know where they guy who killed you is. Start there are start killing the living. If you die as a shadow, you're out of the match.

When it finally comes down to one living hero, they get to face off against off the Shadows still in the match. It creates a fun, stand against the horde kind of feeling as the Shadows just throw themselves at you since that is all they can do (melee only) and you spin and dodge and jump, trying to shoot them all. You have to kill all the Shadows to get a Victory Royale. If the Shadows kill the last hero, all of them get a Nitemare Royale victory.

Fun holiday themed mode. Oh, and all other missions are still active.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:31 pm

mindtakerr wrote:Holy crap, Hades is good.

That is all.

Truly. They really really upped the bar (again) for robust contextual dialog systems. there are DO MANY unique lines of dialog it's nuts.
Have you found the yellow sign?

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:32 pm

tombombodil wrote:
mindtakerr wrote:Holy crap, Hades is good.

That is all.

Truly. They really really upped the bar (again) for robust contextual dialog systems. there are DO MANY unique lines of dialog it's nuts.

Yes. Yes it is.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:42 pm

Why is "Press any key to continue" a thing on loading screens? It's irritating at best and a complete fucking nuisance (MSFS2020) if it actually stops loading the game. Bonus stupidity point if pressing any key doesn't actually work and you have to click a mouse button.

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:03 am

BottledViolence wrote:Why is "Press any key to continue" a thing on loading screens? It's irritating at best and a complete fucking nuisance (MSFS2020) if it actually stops loading the game. Bonus stupidity point if pressing any key doesn't actually work and you have to click a mouse button.

It depends on the game and how long it takes to load, but in some games I would actually prefer that. If a level is loading and nature calls, that's a convenient feature that prevents the game from starting without me. I'd otherwise be forced to hold it for the loading screen and the opening cutscene before I'm allowed to pause.

However, I do think it would make sense to make that an OPTIONAL feature one can toggle off in the options menu.

If said feature interrupts an incomplete loading process, the developers done goofed. That's either a bug or just bad game design.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:59 am

Wihzerd wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:Why is "Press any key to continue" a thing on loading screens? It's irritating at best and a complete fucking nuisance (MSFS2020) if it actually stops loading the game. Bonus stupidity point if pressing any key doesn't actually work and you have to click a mouse button.

However, I do think it would make sense to make that an OPTIONAL feature one can toggle off in the options menu.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

there are plenty of reasons for and against and they're almost all preference based.

Return to “Video Games”