What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Chad
Host

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Chad » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:34 am

BottledViolence wrote:
Chad wrote:
So far I haven't seen the point in getting more than 16GB of RAM. Even the heaviest things I do doesn't top it out.

Supposedly this one will.

Makes sense, the more terrain data they can stream and cache to your system the better it will run.

N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Postby N00b13 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:08 pm

Chad wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:
Chad wrote:
So far I haven't seen the point in getting more than 16GB of RAM. Even the heaviest things I do doesn't top it out.

Makes sense, the more terrain data they can stream and cache to your system the better it will run.

The whole mining craze kinda put the kibosh on the advance of ram requirements but not it's mostly past we should start seeing the ram requirement start creeping up. Or not. My understanding is both the PS5 and new Xbox will be light on ram with a very fast SSD to make up for it. Either way you should be fine with 16 gigs for a few more years yet.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:40 pm

N00b13 wrote:
Chad wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:
Chad wrote:

The whole mining craze kinda put the kibosh on the advance of ram requirements but not it's mostly past we should start seeing the ram requirement start creeping up. Or not. My understanding is both the PS5 and new Xbox will be light on ram with a very fast SSD to make up for it. Either way you should be fine with 16 gigs for a few more years yet.

Also worth noting that specifically for gaming applications GPUs have WAY more dedicated, onboard VRAM than they used to.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:32 am

i got flight sim installed and running on my 9 year old pc. it takes forever to load, but it is playable and better than i thought it would be. i need to mess around with the settings to get a playable frame rate. i did notice it was much more responsive using a controller than the keyboard.

not sure i'll keep it past this month on game pass, but it does make me want to upgrade my pc..

ive got a lower end, but newer gpu (1050ti), 8gig ram, and an old amd phenom ii x4 965. I think processor is the biggest bottleneck.
-Casey

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:53 pm

More Jayztwocents on FlightSim.

John
Host

Postby John » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:34 am

I'm playing Grounded and trying to figure out why it clicked with me despite feeling like umpteen other survival/base-building games in the past couple of years, and I just figured it out.

Parry mechanics. Give me a game that I can beat with a level 1 weapon as long as I perfectly time parries and I am immediately on board.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:43 am

crusader kings 3 is on gamepass. it's basically game of thrones in a historically accurate medieval time period. looking forward to digging in
-Casey

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:20 am

Decided to break two of my rules and I bought Hades on early access and it wasn't on sale.

For $25 ($30 for me, I picked up the sound track too) it's really good and I can say I've gotten my monies worth out of it.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:27 am

Sith_Mafia wrote:crusader kings 3 is on gamepass. it's basically game of thrones in a historically accurate medieval time period. looking forward to digging in

Yup. Downloaded it and booted it up last night. Pleasantly surprised to find it runs just fine on my ancient (almost 10-years old) Alienware laptop. Looks great. A serious update to graphics. It feels like the same game as CKII w/ some upgrades. I like what I've seen so far but as with all Paradox games, it's gonna take time to uncover all it's secrets.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:20 pm

Ikoma wrote:
Sith_Mafia wrote:crusader kings 3 is on gamepass. it's basically game of thrones in a historically accurate medieval time period. looking forward to digging in

Yup. Downloaded it and booted it up last night. Pleasantly surprised to find it runs just fine on my ancient (almost 10-years old) Alienware laptop. Looks great. A serious update to graphics. It feels like the same game as CKII w/ some upgrades. I like what I've seen so far but as with all Paradox games, it's gonna take time to uncover all it's secrets.

CK2 was basically the perfect version of what it was trying to be minus the by now ancient UI. Making the same game but with way better usability is basically all they needed to do. I'm gonna pick it up soon. Do they still have wiki links in all the character bios?

Return to “Video Games”