What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Spammy V » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:46 pm

I guess by that I have been playing Pokemon Go, but it rarely seems to activate the "game" sense in my brain. I usually file it as an activity. Like reading an article on my phone or checking Discord, pop on to Pokemon Go to see what's happening. Although after years it finally has gotten me making a lap around my block to hit a few Gyms at nearby bus stops. Also managed to beat Giovanni GOvanni before the event ended, so that was cool.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:00 pm

Spammy V wrote:I guess by that I have been playing Pokemon Go, but it rarely seems to activate the "game" sense in my brain. I usually file it as an activity. Like reading an article on my phone or checking Discord, pop on to Pokemon Go to see what's happening. Although after years it finally has gotten me making a lap around my block to hit a few Gyms at nearby bus stops. Also managed to beat Giovanni GOvanni before the event ended, so that was cool.

Agreed. I don't even really consider it a game, either. The "battle" system is so boring that I only ever do the gyms, etc. if I can reach them at fast food drive thrus.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:34 am

Ikoma wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:I've tried a few times, but there were just too many things that ruined it. I may give it another try, but it really seems like someone made a really cool game then made sure you wouldn't like it. :lol:

The only edit I would make to that sentiment is "it really seems like someone made a really cool game then made sure it is hard to like it." Even once you lock in and learn the systems, there is a constant stream of quality of life UI improvements I would *love* to have.

For just one example of how the complexity of the game is great AND frustrating at the same time, lets talk armor. There are 20 different equipment slots [4 head, 6 hand, 6 chest, 4 leg], 12 of those are for armor/clothing. Which is actually great because you can mix and match different armor types to try and achieve the best protection level (plate is great against cutting attacks but relatively weak against blunt attacks {you would still rather have plate armor on when some guy hits you with a warhammer than wearing nothing but you would much rather have padded armor}). Maille is better against blunt attacks and good against cuts but weak against piercing stabs. That's what gameson padded armor is for. And this isn't even talking about the hybrid armor types like brigandine (maille + plate = super heavy) or lamellar (cheaper, weaker plate), etc.

I can sort available inventory in shops alphabetically or by cost (both from high to low and vice versa). But I would pay actual real-world money at this point to be able to sort by sub-category. What if I'm really looking to upgrade my gauntlets? Can I sort so all I see is the gauntlets next to each other (or even just all the hand slot equipment) so I can evaluate which is best for my character? Nope. I gotta jump around the inventory list. And rather than put all plate armor together, it lists it's origin second in the title. What's first? Color... so 'black saxon padded combat jacket' is not anywhere near 'red saxon padded combat jacket' and probably right after 'augsburg gauntlets'. Which is... frustrating.

That said, I do love the actual game. The setting is so fresh (by being just a real historical world). I love that you can absolutely botch missions and still 'complete' them. Just not with all the rewards you could have gotten and perhaps some people will have a bad opinion of you. I love it so much I just sprung for all the DLC two days ago (there are five DLC). You gotta love it enough to put up with the quirks.

The problem for me is that I have too many hobbies and too many games that don't irritate the hell out of me, so I never get past that initial hump. I'm really quick to turn off a game that doesn't offer immediate enjoyment. If I'm going to be frustrated by something in return for a payoff later, I want it to be something with real world benefits.

Are there more available to fix the shop inventory? This seems like a game that would have a ton of mod support. Is that not the case?

I still really want to like this game.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:38 am

BottledViolence wrote:Are there more available to fix the shop inventory? This seems like a game that would have a ton of mod support. Is that not the case?

I would bet $100 there are... on PC. I'm playing it on an X1 and KC:D isn't part of the kinda beta Xbox One mod program.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:06 pm

Ikoma wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:Are there more available to fix the shop inventory? This seems like a game that would have a ton of mod support. Is that not the case?

I would bet $100 there are... on PC. I'm playing it on an X1 and KC:D isn't part of the kinda beta Xbox One mod program.

Ah, yeah, that could be a problem.

Off to see how the mod support is on PC. :shifty:

:lol:

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:47 pm

Apparently what I'm currently craving in gaming is snow and feels, and since HZD isn't out on pc yet and there was a special offer, I'm having a go at the Banner Saga trilogy.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

mindtakerr

Postby mindtakerr » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:16 am

McNutcase wrote:Apparently what I'm currently craving in gaming is snow and feels, and since HZD isn't out on pc yet and there was a special offer, I'm having a go at the Banner Saga trilogy.

There isn't a ton of snow in HZD until the expansion (in which there is a crapload), but the game is a freaking masterpiece.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:43 pm

mindtakerr wrote:
McNutcase wrote:Apparently what I'm currently craving in gaming is snow and feels, and since HZD isn't out on pc yet and there was a special offer, I'm having a go at the Banner Saga trilogy.

There isn't a ton of snow in HZD until the expansion (in which there is a crapload), but the game is a freaking masterpiece.

Hmmm snow game.

Off the top of my head:

Dawn of War: Winter Assault
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Deadspace 3 (barf; i mean it was technically fine i guess but still barf)
Lost Planet (meh)
God of Four (ie God of War 4 ie Dad of Boy)
Skyrim I guess?
Northgard (hell yeah!)

I could think of more but that wouldn't count as off the top my head.
Have you found the yellow sign?

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:27 pm

mindtakerr wrote:

Early game has a fair bit of snow.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

mindtakerr

Postby mindtakerr » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:20 am

McNutcase wrote:
mindtakerr wrote:

Early game has a fair bit of snow.

That's true. I mean the game does ... well I will ignore that for spoilers, but there is a large part of the game that is snowy, too. The game is incredible, regardless.

Return to “Video Games”