What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby tombombodil » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Sith_Mafia wrote:picked up the command and conquer remaster. used to play Tiberian Sun all the time in college..

i'd be down for some multiplayer games once i get back up to speed, if anyone else grabs it.

I also picked it up. The original CnC (now Tiberian Dawn) was one of three games on m dads home office computer that I got to play as a kid. Holds up surprisingly well.

I'd be down for some PvE online. Definitely don't fee like getting clobbered in PvP xD
Have you found the yellow sign?

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:21 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Sith_Mafia wrote:picked up the command and conquer remaster. used to play Tiberian Sun all the time in college..

i'd be down for some multiplayer games once i get back up to speed, if anyone else grabs it.

I also picked it up. The original CnC (now Tiberian Dawn) was one of three games on m dads home office computer that I got to play as a kid. Holds up surprisingly well.

I'd be down for some PvE online. Definitely don't fee like getting clobbered in PvP xD

yea PVE would be fun if thats an option. It's jarring to me that both attack and move controls are both tied to left click. was it always that way? Instinctively I keep trying to right click units..

i havnt played these in 15-20 years.

*Edit - there's an option to change it to right click. so much better
Last edited by Sith_Mafia on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Casey

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:32 pm

After a couple of attempts that fizzled out, I am finally into a game of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

I was always intrigued by the story and the setting. But the game is hard. I cannot immediately think of another game that starts from the premise that picking up a sword is not all it actually takes to be a badass. Nope. It takes practice and luck to get good at sword-fighting. And you start as a 'pretty much good at nothing except running errands for his dad and getting in trouble' serf. In a time and place where class rolls are a Big Deal. But chaotic times make opportunities for those bold enough to seize them. The invasion of Bohemia by the Hungarian king Sigismund have thrown the world into upheaval and you, young serf, have a chance to make a name for yourself.

But that start is tough to slog through. You get your butt kicked a lot in fights until the systems grok in your head. Enough so that the game made me lose interest the first couple of times I tried to play after maybe an hour. This time, the lessons learned in previous attempts stuck. I got things faster. I mean, I still don't want to try fighting more than one foe at a time. And I would MUCH rather put a couple arrows in an enemy and let them bleed out than risk going blade to blade. It's more strategic and tactical rather than action movie.

The main storyline is compelling enough that I usually want to take story missions rather than spend time on side missions. But I think I'm in danger of falling behind the power curve. I think I need to take some time pursuing other goals and leveling up some stats/skills/perks/etc. Not to mention earning the coin to buy some better gear.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:40 pm

Just remembered that I used to do these 'all the games I am currently playing across all my different platforms w/ icons' posts. I think I stopped because I felt like they didn't change enough from post to post to justify them. Decided to do another one for today's 2020 games.

iOS:
Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image

X1:
Image, Image, Image, Image, Image

PC:
Image, Image

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:37 am

Ikoma wrote:After a couple of attempts that fizzled out, I am finally into a game of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

I was always intrigued by the story and the setting. But the game is hard. I cannot immediately think of another game that starts from the premise that picking up a sword is not all it actually takes to be a badass. Nope. It takes practice and luck to get good at sword-fighting. And you start as a 'pretty much good at nothing except running errands for his dad and getting in trouble' serf. In a time and place where class rolls are a Big Deal. But chaotic times make opportunities for those bold enough to seize them. The invasion of Bohemia by the Hungarian king Sigismund have thrown the world into upheaval and you, young serf, have a chance to make a name for yourself.

But that start is tough to slog through. You get your butt kicked a lot in fights until the systems grok in your head. Enough so that the game made me lose interest the first couple of times I tried to play after maybe an hour. This time, the lessons learned in previous attempts stuck. I got things faster. I mean, I still don't want to try fighting more than one foe at a time. And I would MUCH rather put a couple arrows in an enemy and let them bleed out than risk going blade to blade. It's more strategic and tactical rather than action movie.

The main storyline is compelling enough that I usually want to take story missions rather than spend time on side missions. But I think I'm in danger of falling behind the power curve. I think I need to take some time pursuing other goals and leveling up some stats/skills/perks/etc. Not to mention earning the coin to buy some better gear.

I've tried a few times, but there were just too many things that ruined it. I may give it another try, but it really seems like someone made a really cool game then made sure you wouldn't like it. :lol:

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:08 pm

BottledViolence wrote:I've tried a few times, but there were just too many things that ruined it. I may give it another try, but it really seems like someone made a really cool game then made sure you wouldn't like it. :lol:

The only edit I would make to that sentiment is "it really seems like someone made a really cool game then made sure it is hard to like it." Even once you lock in and learn the systems, there is a constant stream of quality of life UI improvements I would *love* to have.

For just one example of how the complexity of the game is great AND frustrating at the same time, lets talk armor. There are 20 different equipment slots [4 head, 6 hand, 6 chest, 4 leg], 12 of those are for armor/clothing. Which is actually great because you can mix and match different armor types to try and achieve the best protection level (plate is great against cutting attacks but relatively weak against blunt attacks {you would still rather have plate armor on when some guy hits you with a warhammer than wearing nothing but you would much rather have padded armor}). Maille is better against blunt attacks and good against cuts but weak against piercing stabs. That's what gameson padded armor is for. And this isn't even talking about the hybrid armor types like brigandine (maille + plate = super heavy) or lamellar (cheaper, weaker plate), etc.

I can sort available inventory in shops alphabetically or by cost (both from high to low and vice versa). But I would pay actual real-world money at this point to be able to sort by sub-category. What if I'm really looking to upgrade my gauntlets? Can I sort so all I see is the gauntlets next to each other (or even just all the hand slot equipment) so I can evaluate which is best for my character? Nope. I gotta jump around the inventory list. And rather than put all plate armor together, it lists it's origin second in the title. What's first? Color... so 'black saxon padded combat jacket' is not anywhere near 'red saxon padded combat jacket' and probably right after 'augsburg gauntlets'. Which is... frustrating.

That said, I do love the actual game. The setting is so fresh (by being just a real historical world). I love that you can absolutely botch missions and still 'complete' them. Just not with all the rewards you could have gotten and perhaps some people will have a bad opinion of you. I love it so much I just sprung for all the DLC two days ago (there are five DLC). You gotta love it enough to put up with the quirks.

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Ikoma wrote:Just remembered that I used to do these 'all the games I am currently playing across all my different platforms w/ icons' posts. I think I stopped because I felt like they didn't change enough from post to post to justify them. Decided to do another one for today's 2020 games.

iOS:
Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image

X1:
Image, Image, Image, Image, Image

PC:
Image, Image

Did you use any particular software to make all that, or did you just do it manually? Very cool. I forgot about these posts.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:38 pm

mindtakerr wrote:Did you use any particular software to make all that, or did you just do it manually? Very cool. I forgot about these posts.

Manual... just a quick google image search. I did have to use the imagesize:100x100 search term since they got rid of the tool that lets you specify the pic size in a drop down menu.

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:46 pm

Ikoma wrote:
mindtakerr wrote:Did you use any particular software to make all that, or did you just do it manually? Very cool. I forgot about these posts.

Manual... just a quick google image search. I did have to use the imagesize:100x100 search term since they got rid of the tool that lets you specify the pic size in a drop down menu.

I like using the GG| app for this. I'm not sure if you can share your "now playing" list, though.

In any case, my list would be pretty small:

Image Image

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:49 pm

Ikoma wrote:

Google got rid of several of their image search tools, I heard it was because Getty Images sued them or some such. Now it's just endless Pintrest crap.

Return to “Video Games”