What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:38 pm

Sometimes, it's just the little things that make a game feel better than its predecessors, you know? In Nioh 2, if you die in a boss room, when you reenter that boss room, you immediately, and automatically, recover your dropped amrita, guardian spirit, and spirit cores. No more must I scramble around trying to grab my shit while a boss tries to murder me!
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:Sometimes, it's just the little things that make a game feel better than its predecessors, you know? In Nioh 2, if you die in a boss room, when you reenter that boss room, you immediately, and automatically, recover your dropped amrita, guardian spirit, and spirit cores. No more must I scramble around trying to grab my shit while a boss tries to murder me!

I'm into it.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:24 pm

State of Decay 2: Juggernaut edition. Whole new map to explore. Stumbled across my first weapon cache that makes me think they may have hidden rare weapon caches around the map. (It was a seriously good gun I found.) So now I am evaluating the map, trying to guess where *I* would hide caches and then exploring... while trying to stay alive in the zombie apocalypse.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:21 pm

Well since it released I've been jamming a ton of One Step From Eden.

While I'm still somewhat disappointed it's a rougelike instead of a full RPG, the actual mechanics feel so good I keep going back for another run. There's a definite skill-testing and pattern learning aspect to trying to dance through encounters without taking damage and the thrill of battles turning to chaotic messes of projectiles raining down and nonstop explosion effects. The characters also all play very differently, so there is a lot of room for different playstyles. The music's really good.

Hazel might be my favorite character. Her specialty is deployable structures, especially turrets. Her wrench gives structures stacks of shield and upgrades the damage they do. Now there is also the Self-Defense Turret, that automatically blasts a laser at anything that damages it. But Hazel's wrench doesn't damage it, it just gives the turret more armor and more damage. So you can cheese through battles by standing behind the self-defense turret and whacking it until it's effectively got a 1000 HP and just wait for the enemies to damage it and instantly die in retaliation. Some bosses can almost instantly lose 1/3rd of their HP if they stand in front of the turret and do an attack that involves a lot of small hits.

My only real complaints would be that I'm not the wildest about even good pixel art graphics any more, and that unless you pass on a lot of cards it's hard to really get all the different synergy types (Trinity, Flow, Frost, Jam) to come together.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

John
Host

Postby John » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:52 pm

Just topped off Doom Eternal on UV, gonna do Nightmare soon but not right now.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:15 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:Sometimes, it's just the little things that make a game feel better than its predecessors, you know? In Nioh 2, if you die in a boss room, when you reenter that boss room, you immediately, and automatically, recover your dropped amrita, guardian spirit, and spirit cores. No more must I scramble around trying to grab my shit while a boss tries to murder me!

I'm into it.

Another great example. Weapons not bouncing off of walls unless you really REALLY screw up in DS2 and 3 compared to DS1 where if you swung a sword in the same postcode as a wall or pillar it would bounce off staggering you as much as a parry and then you get clobbered.

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:28 am

Just beat Dragon Quest XI S on Switch, but apparently that game has an enormous post-game. I might keep playing it while also starting FF7 Remake.

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:21 am

No One Lives Under the Lighthouse is a pretty good short retro-horror game in the same vein as the Haunted PS1 Demo Disc collection that came out a couple of months back. The look is definitely evocative of Silent Hill 1-esque PS1 games with chunky models and only-so-fine textures. Including some of that texture warping. It isn't very long, but it's also only $5, and for being the developer's first outing I thought they had a very good grasp on building atmosphere and dread.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:48 am

I started Borderlands 3 last night. Monkey companion with a pistol FTW!
Google+ profile
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Sun May 17, 2020 7:10 am

Terraria: Jopurney's End is so nice! Visually impressive, new trees, new harvests, and of course Journey mode which lets you set the amount and difficulty of enemies. Easier building, means of getting large supplies of stuff easily, new tools, you start with a better package including the fishing rod and a staff. Really worth a look.

Return to “Video Games”