What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Spammy V » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:48 pm

Spent most of the weekend getting through the main story of Kirby: Star Allies. It's good! They actually balanced Spark out from being the game-breaker it was in Super Star and a lot of the new powers are really fun. I'm especially fond of Beetle for combining a lot of fun parts of Wing, Suplex (Star Allies brings Suplex back and it's amazing), some Hammer/Rock functionality... I'm sometimes astounded by the mechanical depth they put into the powers in these kinds of Kirby games. I also really like the whole end-rush sequence of Star Allies, it makes for a real fun final boss encounter. And not only does it do the "Oh hey we're a bright game for kids hahahahahaha this game is dark now" shift really well, it also give you something to think about what with the whole just maybe if they hadn't been wishing for a destroyer, Void Termina could have been another friend to everyone like Kirby.

I've also been playing the demo of One Step From Eden. It's a game trying to capture the combat of the Megaman Battle Network series, where combat was on a grid with a real pattern recognition/twitch based component so you could dodge almost any attacks while rolling with the random chips you were getting. There was a lot of depth and potential to it, but I don't think any games afterwards except for fangames have tried to capture that feeling. One Step From Eden does capture that feeling very well, but they marry it with a Slay the Spire rougelike instead of building it in as part of a full RPG. And while I'll probably end up getting it anyway (unsure about whether I'll get it on PC or Switch), I just kind of wish it wasn't just a roguelike.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:53 am

Posted this in the wrong thread before...

So, I decided to get a long game to hold me over during these interesting times. I picked up Dragon Quest XI S on Switch and I'm loving it a lot. It hits the spot right now.

I also picked up the Switch version because my kids are always on the PS4. And, of course, my son decides that right now is the perfect time to replay Breath of the Wild...

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:57 am

We just got Paperbark. It's a point-and-click story of a young wombat. Very naturey and relaxing. Well, it would be relaxing if I had a better graphics card, which I don't feel like investing in; most games that would call for it are also more complex than I enjoy playing. YOu just wander along with the wombat, locating plants and bugs and birds and lizards, and there's a soft feminine narrator reading the text as you go. It would be a good one to watch with the young.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:22 pm

Unsurprisingly I've been playing a lot recently z)

Doom Eternal: still making other shooters seem like sedate pansy-simulators and making me remember that I love games that really really challenge me (gotta crank the difficulty up a few notches though). This one fleshed out the lore set up by the last game a LOT and as cheesy and over the top as it all is I'm looking forward to see where it goes.

Command and Conquer: the announcement of the remaster of this seminal RTS classic got me all excited. It was one of the few games I had access to as a kid as it was on my dads work laptop along with Panzer General so I downloaded the community maintained open source client. Still hold up surprisingly well. And speaking of Panzer General...

Panzer Corp 2: the sequel to Panzer Corp which was the spiritual successor to Panzer General. Old school, super tactical turn-based WW2 strategy. Very solid and very nostalgic.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:37 pm

started playing Legends of Runeterra. It's the digital ccg in the league of legends universe. it improves on a lot of hearthstone mechanics and is fun so far. getting new cards is relatively easy and the rewards are generous.

i don't play LoL, but am enjoying this. it's free to play
-Casey

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:04 pm

tombombodil wrote:Doom Eternal: still making other shooters seem like sedate pansy-simulators and making me remember that I love games that really really challenge me (gotta crank the difficulty up a few notches though). This one fleshed out the lore set up by the last game a LOT and as cheesy and over the top as it all is I'm looking forward to see where it goes.

Yeah baybee.

I haven't QUITE made the transition yet to the demon specific rock-paper-scissors mechanics. And I'm playing on ultra-violence so I can't ignore them. That seems to be the big difference between this and 2016. But I like the game.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:17 pm

Mostly Minecraft and City of Heroes. Trying to not get too sucked into anything because I have too many projects I want to work on.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:00 pm

John wrote:
tombombodil wrote:Doom Eternal: still making other shooters seem like sedate pansy-simulators and making me remember that I love games that really really challenge me (gotta crank the difficulty up a few notches though). This one fleshed out the lore set up by the last game a LOT and as cheesy and over the top as it all is I'm looking forward to see where it goes.

Yeah baybee.

I haven't QUITE made the transition yet to the demon specific rock-paper-scissors mechanics. And I'm playing on ultra-violence so I can't ignore them. That seems to be the big difference between this and 2016. But I like the game.

Yeah it was like going from Dark Soul 3 to Sekiro. Both are hard and badass, but in Dark Souls you can dodge-roll brute-force your way through almost every single challenge. In Sekiro you HAVE to play through encounters the way the designers intended or you will just get absolutely clapped.

Watching a stream of Eternal would make it seem like just a hacked out "more of the same" sequel, but it's actually quite different in a lot of important ways. I am also playing on UR and i do think it's legitimately quite a bit harder than Doom 2016. The demons are faster and more aggressive, and there's actually way more types and sub-types of them.

The Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock of demon weak points it also means you actually have to use, not only all the different weapon types, but also the different alternate firing modes of all the different weapon types, which adds another level of mandatory gameplay strategy, complexity and skill (at least on harder difficulties). You cannot one-trick your way through the game with one or two suped up weapon. Honestly, in that respect I think Eternal might straight up just be more balanced and better designed than D16 (thats what im calling it from now on). They added 100 different weapons, upgrades, skills, and variants to D16 and then realized in the aftermath than only like 5% of players used more than 20% of it because you just didn't have to, even on Ultra Violence. So in Eternal they designed the enemies and encounters in such a way that you have to use like 70% of it just to get through. Oh you also run out of ammo faster which not only forces you to be even more aggressive than usual but also auto-cycles you through your weapons as you deplete them which forces you to become accustomed to them all before you need to which is frankly genius game design.

I just finished 5 out of 6 Slayer Gate secret extra hard fights, and it's been a long time since I've felt so exhilarated and accomplished by achieving something in a video game. It really feels similar to dark souls where i could be breezing through an area and a friend asks to play so I hand them the controller and go get something to drink and i come back and they are getting absolutely walloped by the same basic enemy over and over. I feel truly skilled and accomplished when playing Doom Eternal, and that's not something most big AAA games go for these days.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:12 am

tombombodil wrote: Honestly, in that respect I think Eternal might straight up just be more balanced and better designed than D16 (thats what im calling it from now on).

more like 2d8 :rimshot:

so does that make Eternal d20?
Last edited by Sith_Mafia on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Casey

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:13 am

So, apparently Nioh 2 came out, but everybody was too distracted by some minor global pandemic to notice. And now I'm off to actually load it up for the first time. Cheers!
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Return to “Video Games”