What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
User avatar
GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:43 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby GinDragon » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:27 pm

I was never able to penetrate the learning curve of EU IV. Maybe because I had gone through it already with CK II and would have had to unlearn some of the stuff I had learned.

User avatar
John
Host
Posts: 4742
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:20 am

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby John » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:55 pm

You're not alone. Maybe it's the vanity of small differences but it seems like Paradox people have no problem cruising around Stellaris or HOI, but everyone picks either CK2 or EU4 and few play both.

I do not really care for CK2 at all myself. CK2 is about reacting to events, which happen much more frequently and at a much more personal scale than in EU4, making the best of opportunities and minimizing the damage done by misfortunes. EU4 is about creating a strategy and executing it over decades or centuries, playing much more as the disembodied willpower of England or France than as Henry VII or Louis XIV. I like the player-directed strategy of EU4 much more than the eternal event-driven pivoting of CK2.

Broad strokes, of course. There are events in EU4 and it's possible to implement a long game strategy in CK2.

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12108
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby tombombodil » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:42 pm

John wrote:Yes. I played it to the point where winning as a major power was trivial (not hard if you have hundreds of hours in HOI2 and old Kaiserreich) and then moved on.

HOI2 was my paradox of the '00s, EU4 was my paradox of the '10s.


Damn man, I have several friends that are hard into Paradox, and I'm the only one that is on the Crusader Kings gravy train.
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:43 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby GinDragon » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:44 pm

tombombodil wrote:
John wrote:Yes. I played it to the point where winning as a major power was trivial (not hard if you have hundreds of hours in HOI2 and old Kaiserreich) and then moved on.

HOI2 was my paradox of the '00s, EU4 was my paradox of the '10s.


Damn man, I have several friends that are hard into Paradox, and I'm the only one that is on the Crusader Kings gravy train.

Weirdly I don't really care about CK III, but I was pumped about Imperator: Rome.

Having said that, I did one playthrough as Rome a few patches ago, and haven't touched it since.

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12108
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby tombombodil » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:24 pm

GinDragon wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
John wrote:Yes. I played it to the point where winning as a major power was trivial (not hard if you have hundreds of hours in HOI2 and old Kaiserreich) and then moved on.

HOI2 was my paradox of the '00s, EU4 was my paradox of the '10s.


Damn man, I have several friends that are hard into Paradox, and I'm the only one that is on the Crusader Kings gravy train.

Weirdly I don't really care about CK III, but I was pumped about Imperator: Rome.

Having said that, I did one playthrough as Rome a few patches ago, and haven't touched it since.


I was just talking about my long burning love for CK 1 and 2
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:43 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby GinDragon » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:34 pm

Yeah, I was just pivoting.

I love(d?) CK II. CK I was before I got into Paradox.

I do remember trying EU III, but getting frustrated with how trading worked. But CK II is the first one I spent any significant number of hours playing.

User avatar
Nny
Holder of The Stabbing Screwdriver
Posts: 4079
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Nny » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:00 am

Started playing Risk of Rain a whole lot more. I'd played years ago, and got annoyed with it. But about a month ago i fired it up again (as i figured it was one of the games i could load on to my Surface) and now im addicted. I feel bad for giving up all those years ago.
Using Enforcer is incredible. At the end of the game i could not die. Then i upped the difficulty past Drizzle. lol
Got a few more charachter unlocks i have yet to try out.

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12108
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby tombombodil » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:27 pm

Nny wrote:Started playing Risk of Rain a whole lot more. I'd played years ago, and got annoyed with it. But about a month ago i fired it up again (as i figured it was one of the games i could load on to my Surface) and now im addicted. I feel bad for giving up all those years ago.
Using Enforcer is incredible. At the end of the game i could not die. Then i upped the difficulty past Drizzle. lol
Got a few more charachter unlocks i have yet to try out.


My friend was one of the two guys who made that game!
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
Nny
Holder of The Stabbing Screwdriver
Posts: 4079
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Nny » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:22 am

tombombodil wrote:
Nny wrote:Started playing Risk of Rain a whole lot more. I'd played years ago, and got annoyed with it. But about a month ago i fired it up again (as i figured it was one of the games i could load on to my Surface) and now im addicted. I feel bad for giving up all those years ago.
Using Enforcer is incredible. At the end of the game i could not die. Then i upped the difficulty past Drizzle. lol
Got a few more charachter unlocks i have yet to try out.


My friend was one of the two guys who made that game!


NIce! Pass on a thumbs up from an internet stranger, please! I've also rated it on steam!

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12108
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby tombombodil » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:06 pm

Nny wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Nny wrote:Started playing Risk of Rain a whole lot more. I'd played years ago, and got annoyed with it. But about a month ago i fired it up again (as i figured it was one of the games i could load on to my Surface) and now im addicted. I feel bad for giving up all those years ago.
Using Enforcer is incredible. At the end of the game i could not die. Then i upped the difficulty past Drizzle. lol
Got a few more charachter unlocks i have yet to try out.


My friend was one of the two guys who made that game!


NIce! Pass on a thumbs up from an internet stranger, please! I've also rated it on steam!


Will do! Wanna know the craziest part? That was a game they made while in college as an extra-curricular project. Really raised the bar for student work and made me realize just how behind I was in my own stuff :oops: :lol: .
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?


Return to “Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests