What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Ikoma wrote:Doom (2016) is clearly a good (maybe great) game. It's just not a game for me. I've said it before, I'm not a huge FPS guy. I don't mind shooting. I think I do mind First Person. I'm trying hard to think of games I really liked that make you live in First Person mode and I'm not finding a long list. Third Person with a First Person mode that kicks in under certain circumstance? Yes, please! But lock me into First Person and I find it hard to connect. This personal realization makes me nervous about Cyberpunk 2077. I love me CD Projekt Red and I love the Cyberpunk setting. Hopefully those two will be enough to get me over the First Person hurdle.

hmm interesting. wonder if theres some kind of third person mod for it?
-Casey

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Sith_Mafia wrote:
Ikoma wrote:Doom (2016) is clearly a good (maybe great) game. It's just not a game for me. I've said it before, I'm not a huge FPS guy. I don't mind shooting. I think I do mind First Person. I'm trying hard to think of games I really liked that make you live in First Person mode and I'm not finding a long list. Third Person with a First Person mode that kicks in under certain circumstance? Yes, please! But lock me into First Person and I find it hard to connect. This personal realization makes me nervous about Cyberpunk 2077. I love me CD Projekt Red and I love the Cyberpunk setting. Hopefully those two will be enough to get me over the First Person hurdle.

There are a lot of games where i think adding a 3rd person mode could more or less work. Other games however are designed so thoroughly to take advantage of the precise all-angles aiming control that a first person camera gives you that they would be borderline unplayable from any other camera perspective.

Doom is one of those games. There is just so much 180 turns, running jumping from ledge to ledge while strafing and pivoting on a dime to blast key targets. They would need to completely change the level design and much of the core gameplay to make a 3rd person version of Doom remotely playable on anything but the easiest difficulty setting.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:12 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Sith_Mafia wrote:

There are a lot of games where i think adding a 3rd person mode could more or less work. Other games however are designed so thoroughly to take advantage of the precise all-angles aiming control that a first person camera gives you that they would be borderline unplayable from any other camera perspective.

Doom is one of those games. There is just so much 180 turns, running jumping from ledge to ledge while strafing and pivoting on a dime to blast key targets. They would need to completely change the level design and much of the core gameplay to make a 3rd person version of Doom remotely playable on anything but the easiest difficulty setting.

Most first person mods I've run across (because I haaaate first-person games) don't limit or even alter one's ability to aim at all. It literally just pulls back the camera and puts the character model on screen.

... They do tend to look a little janky, though, because nobody was meant to see that model from relatively close-up at all times like that.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:
tombombodil wrote:There are a lot of games where i think adding a 3rd person mode could more or less work. Other games however are designed so thoroughly to take advantage of the precise all-angles aiming control that a first person camera gives you that they would be borderline unplayable from any other camera perspective.

Most first third? person mods I've run across (because I haaaate first-person games) don't limit or even alter one's ability to aim at all. It literally just pulls back the camera and puts the character model on screen.

... They do tend to look a little janky, though, because nobody was meant to see that model from relatively close-up at all times like that.

And most of the time it works reasonably well, but Doom is just so fast and hectic and requires so much priority targeting on a dime while sprinting and double jumping through maze-like levels.

I mean maybe it would work out alright, but I'm just trying to imagine playing it with either a close over the shoulder camera or something a little more pulled back and it both scenarios I'm getting my ass blasted off on any reasonable level of difficulty.

I can't imagine RE4 for example would be remotely playable if the zombies could sprint and fly and throw grenades and climb down wall behind you.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:13 pm

tombombodil wrote:I can't imagine RE4 for example would be remotely playable if the zombies could sprint and fly and throw grenades and climb down wall behind you.

Neither can I, but that's more down to the shit controls than the camera angle. Tank controls and being unable to shoot without stopping to slowly aim does not exactly work well with fast-paced action.

It works in Vermintide, and that's got pretty much all of that going on except the flying, if you count globadiers as using grenades. And some very finicky aiming requirements to boot. It does have plenty of vertical areas with can attack from above, though, which is almost like flying ... only less useful.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:
tombombodil wrote:I can't imagine RE4 for example would be remotely playable if the zombies could sprint and fly and throw grenades and climb down wall behind you.

Neither can I, but that's more down to the shit controls than the camera angle. Tank controls and being unable to shoot without stopping to slowly aim does not exactly work well with fast-paced action.

It works in Vermintide, and that's got pretty much all of that going on except the flying, if you count globadiers as using grenades. And some very finicky aiming requirements to boot. It does have plenty of vertical areas with can attack from above, though, which is almost like flying ... only less useful.

You manage to avoid acts of friendly fire? Well I'm impressed.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:23 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:

You manage to avoid acts of friendly fire? Well I'm impressed.

Ehhh... Let's say I'm no worse about friendly fire in third than I am in first. I've had to deal with the latter when the mod I use got broken by game updates from time to time (geeze, why can't these people keep my completely free entertainment-enhancers up to date? Clearly they're lazy bums), and it doesn't really affect anything but how long I'm willing to play.

... And my ability to walk across narrow surfaces while under attack. It's so helpful being able to see my position relative to the ground while doing other things, I tell ya.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:Ehhh... Let's say I'm no worse about friendly fire in third than I am in first.

hehehehe

Azhrei Vep wrote:I've had to deal with the latter when the mod I use got broken by game updates from time to time (geeze, why can't these people keep my completely free entertainment-enhancers up to date? Clearly they're lazy bums), and it doesn't really affect anything but how long I'm willing to play.

... And my ability to walk across narrow surfaces while under attack. It's so helpful being able to see my position relative to the ground while doing other things, I tell ya.

Seems reasonable.

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:41 pm

Got GTA V for my birthday, and since i'm still banging my head against a wall in bloodborne I thought some crime might be a good change of pace.

I quite like the touches with the ps4 controller - the sound from police radios or phone calls comes through the speaker, the light flashes red and blue when the police are chasing you.

I also quite like the human elements. Well, Franklin's story anyway. Michael is kind of a dick and i don't really sympathize with him. I'm pretty sure there are three playable characters, but I only have those two at the moment.

The tone feels a bit off, which I think is common in the series these days. Like, the story missions feel like they want to be telling a somewhat serious story but the side missions and radio stations can get silly. For example, the first side mission I did with Michael involved him taking one hit off of a joint then he hallucinated shooting a bunch of aliens with a minigun...

Overall i'm enjoying it. It's nice to get back to a somewhat more grounded crime sandbox after how off the rails Saints Row has gotten.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:53 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:Got GTA V for my birthday, and since i'm still banging my head against a wall in bloodborne I thought some crime might be a good change of pace.

I quite like the touches with the ps4 controller - the sound from police radios or phone calls comes through the speaker, the light flashes red and blue when the police are chasing you.

I also quite like the human elements. Well, Franklin's story anyway. Michael is kind of a dick and i don't really sympathize with him. I'm pretty sure there are three playable characters, but I only have those two at the moment.

The tone feels a bit off, which I think is common in the series these days. Like, the story missions feel like they want to be telling a somewhat serious story but the side missions and radio stations can get silly. For example, the first side mission I did with Michael involved him taking one hit off of a joint then he hallucinated shooting a bunch of aliens with a minigun...

Overall i'm enjoying it. It's nice to get back to a somewhat more grounded crime sandbox after how off the rails Saints Row has gotten.

Oh, you are gonna HATE the third character.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Return to “Video Games”