What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Ikoma » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 am

Ah yeah! State of Decay 2 (update 3.0). That's how you fix a lot of niggling things that were issues but not really problems.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Just got into Prey, which I really like. Certainly doesn't feel like much of a sequel to the original, which I played but only remember a bit about. Mostly that you could switch gravity.

Also, No Man's Sky has been updated so that it doesn't run as well on my machine as it used to but I did find it a kind of soothing way to listen to podcasts and zen out.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:19 pm

My zen game is Spintires: Mudrunner. Throw on a podcast, chuck the transfer case into 4-lo, and just drive.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby JediSoth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:32 am

I picked up Doom (2016) so I could put my new computer through the paces. It's not the most modern game I could've gotten, but I didn't want to spend $60 on something right away and it is a game that wouldn't run on my old PC.

It's surprisingly entertaining. Where I found Rage to be too predictable and brown, this is visceral and intense in good ways. I like that the game encourages you to keep pushing forward and fight, fight, fight, by have you gain ammo and health by fighting rather than by hanging back and letting things regen. id Software did an excellent job giving an unvoiced protagonist personality.

I'm expecting it to be pretty short, though, so I guess I'd better get caught up on modern games again since I can run them now.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Cool! Doom (2016) just hit Gamepass on the Xbox so I'll give it a try soon.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:03 pm

JediSoth wrote:I picked up Doom (2016) so I could put my new computer through the paces. It's not the most modern game I could've gotten, but I didn't want to spend $60 on something right away and it is a game that wouldn't run on my old PC.

It's surprisingly entertaining. Where I found Rage to be too predictable and brown, this is visceral and intense in good ways. I like that the game encourages you to keep pushing forward and fight, fight, fight, by have you gain ammo and health by fighting rather than by hanging back and letting things regen. id Software did an excellent job giving an unvoiced protagonist personality.

I'm expecting it to be pretty short, though, so I guess I'd better get caught up on modern games again since I can run them now.

I think it took me like 16 hours on hard, spending a decent amount of time on each level looking for secrets.

The new Doom is great. Excellent design, and a game that's focused and pure in vision and intent like very few modern AAA games are.

Also id's games are always nothing if not extremely well optimized.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:40 am

JediSoth wrote:I picked up Doom (2016) so I could put my new computer through the paces. It's not the most modern game I could've gotten, but I didn't want to spend $60 on something right away and it is a game that wouldn't run on my old PC.

i just picked it up as well. steam has it on sale for 50% off and fanatical has a 10% coupon, so its like $8. :thumbup:

i love the opening prologue level. i had a huge smile on my face when the doom logo appeared. hell yea :twisted: :twisted:
-Casey

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby JediSoth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:07 am

I die every time I try to get fancy in Doom. If I stick to just running & gunning with little finesse, I'm fine. When I try to anything more complicated than that, I end up dead. :p

Looks like I'm just going to shoot demons in the face until they're dead (or chainsaw them to death if I have enough fuel).
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:55 am

I used the Quakecon sale to grab Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider. I enjoyed the first game, might as well do the sequels, especially because I bought them via Humble so I got an extra 10% off.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Doom (2016) is clearly a good (maybe great) game. It's just not a game for me. I've said it before, I'm not a huge FPS guy. I don't mind shooting. I think I do mind First Person. I'm trying hard to think of games I really liked that make you live in First Person mode and I'm not finding a long list. Third Person with a First Person mode that kicks in under certain circumstance? Yes, please! But lock me into First Person and I find it hard to connect. This personal realization makes me nervous about Cyberpunk 2077. I love me CD Projekt Red and I love the Cyberpunk setting. Hopefully those two will be enough to get me over the First Person hurdle.

Return to “Video Games”