What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Glenn
I am the story stick

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Glenn » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:20 pm

I bought Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon with a Switch gift card i forgot I had. This game is every bit a love letter to the old castlevania's.

Its the perfect difficulty for me on normal. But i think a lot of people would find the game too east. I'm on level 7 (or whatever level the umbrella boss is) and it hasn't been much of a struggle to get here. The previous boss took me 4 tries but everyone after that was only one or two. And none of the levels have slowed me down. I've played almost every 2d castlevania out there and I've never come close to finishing any of them.

On one hand the game feels too easy, but if it was any more difficult I probably wouldn't play it.

I love the art style though. This is how you do retro. Just making something blocky doesn't not make it 8-bit.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:20 pm

Glenn wrote:I bought Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon with a Switch gift card i forgot I had. This game is every bit a love letter to the old castlevania's.

Its the perfect difficulty for me on normal. But i think a lot of people would find the game too east. I'm on level 7 (or whatever level the umbrella boss is) and it hasn't been much of a struggle to get here. The previous boss took me 4 tries but everyone after that was only one or two. And none of the levels have slowed me down. I've played almost every 2d castlevania out there and I've never come close to finishing any of them.

On one hand the game feels too easy, but if it was any more difficult I probably wouldn't play it.

I love the art style though. This is how you do retro. Just making something blocky doesn't not make it 8-bit.

You're right. It is a bit too east, with Mr. Samurai and everything. Especially the redone last level in nightmare mode. Tch, tacky.

Also, as someone who has played almost every 2d Castlevania to completion ... yeah, it's a bit easier than I'd like in normal mode ... if you take all the companions. Killing them all for power gets a bit closer, and just ignoring them? Mmmm, now there's an old-school challenge.

I love the fuck out of this damn game, I've already beaten it every which way possible, and still go back to replay it once in a while.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:38 pm

I like playing Castlevania games, but not actually Castlevania 1. So while I admire Circle of the Moon and everything it's doing... it's emulating a game I didn't enjoy playing at all.

Also what's the point of sword man? He's the least good dude in his posse.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:45 pm

Sunless Skies just released a new Region, so I'm finishing up a few quests in Albion, then im gonna blow some savings on a more combat oriented Locomotive (this new area is supposedly more dangerous than the others released so far) and head off into the dark, far from the sickening light of her Restored Majesty's Clockwork Sun.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:43 pm

Spammy V wrote:I like playing Castlevania games, but not actually Castlevania 1. So while I admire Circle of the Moon and everything it's doing... it's emulating a game I didn't enjoy playing at all.

Also what's the point of sword man? He's the least good dude in his posse.

He has some excellent subweapons (the talisman that duplicates classic CV holy water, the demon head that sets him on fire to double basic attack damage ... which persists if you switch to a different character), the most health, and the fastest attack speed. The attack speed makes him the best at whittling down bosses quickly once you identify the points where you can safely get up in their grills.

Also, he can kill the potential allies instead of taking them along (or ignoring them) to get more powers: A double jump, a run, and a circular slash to replace his normal attack while jumping.

Also, it's not emulating Castlevania 1. It's emulating Castlevania 3. The best Castlevania. Ever.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:51 pm

When I say that it's Castlevania 1 I'm describing how stiff it is. The lack of jump controls. How your magnet boots stick you to stairs. It's not something that I enjoy.

Also thank you for explaining what that demon head power up does, I could never actually tell because it's hard to notice a boost on him.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:00 pm

Spammy V wrote:When I say that it's Castlevania 1 I'm describing how stiff it is. The lack of jump controls. How your magnet boots stick you to stairs. It's not something that I enjoy.

Also thank you for explaining what that demon head power up does, I could never actually tell because it's hard to notice a boost on him.

Yeah, that one's unclear. I only learned about it after reading elsewhere and confirming against a boss.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:34 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:
Spammy V wrote:When I say that it's Castlevania 1 I'm describing how stiff it is. The lack of jump controls. How your magnet boots stick you to stairs. It's not something that I enjoy.

Yeah, that one's unclear. I only learned about it after reading elsewhere and confirming against a boss.

I assumed it was a shield like the wizards fire spell. I figured out it wasn’t that pretty fast.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:12 am

tombombodil wrote:Sunless Skies just released a new Region, so I'm finishing up a few quests in Albion, then im gonna blow some savings on a more combat oriented Locomotive (this new area is supposedly more dangerous than the others released so far) and head off into the dark, far from the sickening light of her Restored Majesty's Clockwork Sun.

This paragraph makes you sound like a crazy person.

On a related note, have you tried Cultist Simulator?

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:17 am

I’ve started playing Spintires: MudRunner while I catch up on podcasts. There’s something very meditative about listening to a podcast while I slowly crawl a humongous truck through a bottomless bog.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Return to “Video Games”