What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Ikoma » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:40 pm

2021... let's check in on what games I'm playing...

iOS:
Image, Image, Image

X1:
Image, Image, Image, Image

PS4:

PC:
None...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

John
Host

Postby John » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:40 pm

I am really, really enjoying Sea of Thieves.

1) Horizontal/player-skill advancement. You come out of the character generator with the same mechanics/stats as the poopsockers. Cosmetic upgrades only.

2) No skinner box. No dailies, no nothing. There are reputation bars that fill up if you must have something to grind for grinding's sake but they're totally optional.

3) Rough and tumble open world. Other players are unpredictable and dangerous. YOU are unpredictable and, if you choose, dangerous.

3a) ...but the tumble is soft. You can lose your ship's booty if you get attacked on the high seas but you never suffer any permanent penalty. You respawn with all your gear and you can get a new ship any time for free if yours gets hulled/burned/exploded/tentacled/scuttled.

4) Super minimal interface. You see things and hear things and that's about it. No management of stats/cooldowns/blahblahblah. Build management is limited to the decision of which 2 of the potential 4 weapons to take (sword, pistol, sniper rifle, shotgun). Which is very minimal but does make interesting tradeoffs.

I just love it. The fights are scary and dirty and unpredictable and somehow feel both tense and high-stakes while also just something you can laugh off if you lose because it doesn't really hurt you.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:07 am

John wrote:I am really, really enjoying Sea of Thieves.

Not sure how I feel about it. My buddy talked me into it, and it was fun until we ran into a group of four guys who just kept wrecking us so we quit. The same thing happened the next day, then the next and we haven't played since.

Seems like a fun game for a group of four friends but not so much with a smaller group that gets rolled all the time, or for randoms. I'm sure part of the problem is summed up by the fact my buddy said four times within about two hours " Hey, did you know you can get edibles delivered now?" :facepalm: :lol:

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:45 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
John wrote:I am really, really enjoying Sea of Thieves.

Not sure how I feel about it. My buddy talked me into it, and it was fun until we ran into a group of four guys who just kept wrecking us so we quit. The same thing happened the next day, then the next and we haven't played since.

Seems like a fun game for a group of four friends but not so much with a smaller group that gets rolled all the time, or for randoms. I'm sure part of the problem is summed up by the fact my buddy said four times within about two hours " Hey, did you know you can get edibles delivered now?" :facepalm: :lol:

Minus the edibles, this has been my experience in all open world PVP games.

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:51 pm

I haven't run into that problem but I only have like 20 hours. And all of that running in a group of 3-4. I can see how solo or as a twofer it would be a pain to fight at a disadvantage all the time.

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:41 am

It... depends. Since everyone is basically equal except for personal skill, it's possible to win battles as a solo player against a crew, but unless you're much more skilled or get very lucky I'd say it's unlikely. But if you're not in an engagement already, you can waste the time of anyone trying to sink you by turning your sloop dead into the wind.

But also the way the game is designed you're not always seeing everyone on the server. It's not like the town in an MMO where you're bumping into other players. The ocean map is decently large, there's no guarantee someone is even in the same region of the map as you, and not everyone is out for PVP. I've had sessions where people chase me, sessions where they sail on by, and sessions where I don't even see another sail for the whole time I'm on.

I'm not of the personality to be the aggressor when I'm playing solo but the PVP seems real interesting with just the breadth of what you need to do. Chainshot down the enemy mast. Send boarders over to drop their anchor and steal their supplies. Set a fire to their mast or in the front of their hold. Dodge enemy boarders. Time cursed cannonballs. Well stocked and prepared ships can take forever to sink or you can end engagements in a snap.

Also, I understand playing to your outs, but you are under no obligation to let someone spawn camp you until your ship sinks. If they've got the damage and the positions on your boat don't spawn in just to tilt yourself harder, give them the GGs and just scuttle and respawn. Switch servers if you need to so you don't feel tempted to go after that crew.

I've gotten... 122 hours since the end of January and while I like this game I can see why it's not for everyone (the tension over seeing another ship especially). And knowing myself, if I have had a bad day this is not the game I should get on and play solo by myself. That goes for most PVP games, but SOT especially.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

K-Mech
Teller of gaming stories

Postby K-Mech » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:42 am

Finished (and Platinumed) Atelier Ryza 2. Enough similarities to Ryza 1 and enough changes to make it another enjoyable RPG-lite, just like the other games in the Atelier series.

Next up, a series of Early Access and/or demo Rouglike Deckbuilders . Hadean Tactics and Arcanium at the top of that list.

John
Host

Postby John » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:40 am

Spammy V wrote:you can waste the time of anyone trying to sink you by turning your sloop dead into the wind.

Yeah we pursue anything except a sloop sailing into wind. They're uncatchable from beyond fire-me-out-of-a-cannon range. This is your bugout button for if you're a 1-2 player group and don't want to fight a brig or a galleon.

Chainshot down the enemy mast. Send boarders over to drop their anchor and steal their supplies. Set a fire to their mast or in the front of their hold. Dodge enemy boarders. Time cursed cannonballs. Well stocked and prepared ships can take forever to sink or you can end engagements in a snap.

Another lesson we had to learn with some experience. This is not a game where two ships exchange vanilla cannonball shots until one of them sinks. Repairing and bailing are so generous that it takes a thousand years to sink an enemy doing this even if you have functionally infinite ammo and hit 99% of your shots. You really need to board and attack with swords/guns. Chain shots and cursed cannonballs help a lot with boarding someone who runs. Also, lunge-jumping and firing yourself out of cannons are essential if you don't want to pursue for a thousand years.

The holes you blow in their sides don't do the job unless you're also distracting and/or killing anyone who could repair them.

Also, I understand playing to your outs, but you are under no obligation to let someone spawn camp you until your ship sinks. If they've got the damage and the positions on your boat don't spawn in just to tilt yourself harder, give them the GGs and just scuttle and respawn. Switch servers if you need to so you don't feel tempted to go after that crew.

Yep. You can scuttle from the menu even if you're dead (at which point you will respawn a safe distance from whoever just killed you) and you can switch servers. I've never played an open world game where it was quicker or easier to get away from a camper/griefer.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:05 am

John wrote:
Spammy V wrote:Also, I understand playing to your outs, but you are under no obligation to let someone spawn camp you until your ship sinks. If they've got the damage and the positions on your boat don't spawn in just to tilt yourself harder, give them the GGs and just scuttle and respawn. Switch servers if you need to so you don't feel tempted to go after that crew.

Yep. You can scuttle from the menu even if you're dead (at which point you will respawn a safe distance from whoever just killed you) and you can switch servers. I've never played an open world game where it was quicker or easier to get away from a camper/griefer.

That right there gives me a reason to try the game. It looked intriguing but I hate feeling like the fat kid getting bullied. It's what kept me from trying Fortnite for so long.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:07 am

Spammy V wrote:It... depends. Since everyone is basically equal except for personal skill, it's possible to win battles as a solo player against a crew, but unless you're much more skilled or get very lucky I'd say it's unlikely. But if you're not in an engagement already, you can waste the time of anyone trying to sink you by turning your sloop dead into the wind.

But also the way the game is designed you're not always seeing everyone on the server. It's not like the town in an MMO where you're bumping into other players. The ocean map is decently large, there's no guarantee someone is even in the same region of the map as you, and not everyone is out for PVP. I've had sessions where people chase me, sessions where they sail on by, and sessions where I don't even see another sail for the whole time I'm on.

I'm not of the personality to be the aggressor when I'm playing solo but the PVP seems real interesting with just the breadth of what you need to do. Chainshot down the enemy mast. Send boarders over to drop their anchor and steal their supplies. Set a fire to their mast or in the front of their hold. Dodge enemy boarders. Time cursed cannonballs. Well stocked and prepared ships can take forever to sink or you can end engagements in a snap.

I've gotten... 122 hours since the end of January and while I like this game I can see why it's not for everyone (the tension over seeing another ship especially). And knowing myself, if I have had a bad day this is not the game I should get on and play solo by myself. That goes for most PVP games, but SOT especially.

Unfortunately, we didn't know any of that before we gave up on the game. Of course, now no one else in our group wants to buy it either.

Return to “Video Games”