What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Spammy V » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:41 am

Interrupting repairs is the biggest thing against brigs and galleons. Whether it's making them commit to raising their masts instead of focusing on the hull, using cursed cannonballs (even a galleon will go down fast if you mix in Weary/Jig/Grogballs and ESPECIALLY if you have holes in both decks and hit them with a Ballastball to lower them), or having boarders keeping them off of repairs and cannons. If you get the Wraithballs from beating Flameheart they're extremely powerful but that depends on A: Flameheart being the active global event and B: You spend the time to beat Flameheart.

With sloops (even duo sloops) unfortunately if the mast goes, you probably go. The fragility is the price you pay for the agility.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:18 am

Spring 2021... let's check back in and see what games I'm playing...

iOS:
Image, Image, Image, Image

X1:
Image, Image, Image, Image

PS4:
None...

PC:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

K-Mech
Teller of gaming stories

Postby K-Mech » Tue May 11, 2021 6:30 am

Current rotation is :

PC:
Across the Obelisk (Early Access)
Endless Legend
Mahjong Time

Switch:
Atelier Ayesha DX
Atelier Sophie DX

PS4:
PS4 is feeling alone and neglected lately, but Mass Effect on Friday will take care of that

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 am

K-Mech wrote:Current rotation is :
Switch:
Atelier Ayesha DX
Atelier Sophie DX

I am curious about these Atelier games. What are they like?

mindtakerr

Postby mindtakerr » Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 am

I have never played any Resident Evil games prior to 2021, and now I have played RE2 Remake and RE4 and currently playing RE7. I also picked up RE8 to play that next. I've been missing out!

John
Host

Postby John » Wed May 12, 2021 8:57 am

Picked up a new PC with a 3060 in it and all the appropriate CPU/memory/etc to back it up.

I had previously contented myself with an ~8 year old tower with a ~5 year old graphics card in it. It could run everything I cared to in 1080p at 60 mhz on at least medium settings so I thought eh, this is good enough to get the experience and not worth spending for the upgrades.

Playing Doom Eternal on genuinely up to date hardware...the upgrades were worth it.

K-Mech
Teller of gaming stories

Postby K-Mech » Wed May 12, 2021 9:31 am

mindtakerr wrote:
Switch:
Atelier Ayesha DX
Atelier Sophie DX

RPG lite. The combat and the Alchemy (crafting) is the bulk of player choice. There aren't a lot of RP choices to make, but a LOT of cut-scenes. Almost like a visual novel plus with gathering, crafting, and combat. They change up details of how crafting works between trilogies usually, and some combat tweaks.

In the "Dusk" trilogy (Ayesha, Escha & Logy, and Shallie), I'm still trying to get the hang of crafting, as my first Atelier games were the original Mysterious Trilogy ( Sophie, Firis, and Lydie & Suelle) In the Mysterious Trilogy, the alchemy has a Tetris-y feel with a grid, with various bonus around the board for careful placement of materials. In the (so far) 2 Atelier Ryza games, they have a different alchemy system, based on item quality levels and elemental values of the ingredients. The two Ryza games are the only games I've ever Platinumed, as I normally don't worry about achievements, so I gathered most of them just by playing the game and my pursuit of making great equipment.

Dusk and Mysterious use fully turn-based combat, while Ryza has an ATB-style that I ended up liking more than I thought I would.

While some of the costumes (if you buy them) and some of the character designs are fan-servicey (Lila and Serri in the Ryza games are ridiculous), they are otherwise very wholesome and family-friendly.

If you are still interested, check out some let's play and alchemy guides on YouTube as the basic ingame tutorials aren't always very clear on the fine points.

Got an hour before I have to log in to work, think I'll play some more Sophie until then...

mindtakerr

Postby mindtakerr » Wed May 12, 2021 9:47 am

K-Mech wrote:
mindtakerr wrote:
Switch:
Atelier Ayesha DX
Atelier Sophie DX

RPG lite. The combat and the Alchemy (crafting) is the bulk of player choice. There aren't a lot of RP choices to make, but a LOT of cut-scenes. Almost like a visual novel plus with gathering, crafting, and combat. They change up details of how crafting works between trilogies usually, and some combat tweaks.

In the "Dusk" trilogy (Ayesha, Escha & Logy, and Shallie), I'm still trying to get the hang of crafting, as my first Atelier games were the original Mysterious Trilogy ( Sophie, Firis, and Lydie & Suelle) In the Mysterious Trilogy, the alchemy has a Tetris-y feel with a grid, with various bonus around the board for careful placement of materials. In the (so far) 2 Atelier Ryza games, they have a different alchemy system, based on item quality levels and elemental values of the ingredients. The two Ryza games are the only games I've ever Platinumed, as I normally don't worry about achievements, so I gathered most of them just by playing the game and my pursuit of making great equipment.

Dusk and Mysterious use fully turn-based combat, while Ryza has an ATB-style that I ended up liking more than I thought I would.

While some of the costumes (if you buy them) and some of the character designs are fan-servicey (Lila and Serri in the Ryza games are ridiculous), they are otherwise very wholesome and family-friendly.

If you are still interested, check out some let's play and alchemy guides on YouTube as the basic ingame tutorials aren't always very clear on the fine points.

Got an hour before I have to log in to work, think I'll play some more Sophie until then...

Cool! That was really helpful to read. Thanks!

K-Mech
Teller of gaming stories

Postby K-Mech » Wed May 12, 2021 1:15 pm

Glad it helped. My communication skills are awful so wasn't sure if it was coming across right

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Mon May 17, 2021 5:26 pm

Getting back into Digital Combat Simulator. Joined a virtual squadron for the F/A-18, because I'm terribly rusty and wasn't very good to begin with! :lol:

It's been years since I was in any sort of organized group and these guys definitely have their shit together. I definitely missed the motivating factors you get from playing with an organized group. I find that I always perform better under those conditions compared to just playing on my own or in "meaningless" games with friends.

Return to “Video Games”