What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:25 pm

Playing Baldur's Gate 3. The first hour is probably the dumbest intro to a game, story wise that I've ever suffered through. It was so bad I tried to get a refund, but apparently they counted the time I tried to register as time played. Since the refund was denied I've played several more hours, and am happy to see that once through the part that the developer's 12 year old kid apparently wrote the game is better. Story wise, I'm still not really on board, and I'm not a fan of the additional races, but the gameplay seems solid, it looks amazing, and I really haven't had any issues with bugs.

I admit, I'm a bit of a curmudgeon and really don't like the additional playable races in DnD since 3rd. The fact they are grossly overly represented so far just makes it more irritating.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:28 am

Mikel wrote:I've found Red Dead Redemption 2 is much more of a computer "sit and the desk and lean forward" kind of game than a couch game. It didn't help that they seemed to expect you to have a wall sized TV on the PS4 with relatively small text popping on briefly.

They've also done their damndest to make the game difficult to play. There's a ton of controls and it would be fine to have something in the bottom left that let you know what your current controls did, but that only pops up on occasion. Between that and the fact that, sometimes, Rockstar REALLY demands you do something exactly the way they want you to or you get a "Mission Failed/Reload" screen, I'm fighting my way bast some bad decisions to enjoy it.

Phasmaphobia with some friends has been a lot of fun. Only got a single session of Among Us in so far but I enjoyed it alot.

A wonderful game marred by the worst control layout I've ever seen.

Talking, shooting, make horse go are all the same button depending on what you are doing. Talking to someone and punching them is the same button that changes depending on if you are one pixel too far or too close to them.

I think it's a testament to just how good the game is that it can overcome these truly awful design choices.

I also found it amusing that several of the combat and shooting challenges where solely difficult based on playing the game with a controller.

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:46 am

Getting into Sunless Skies, and wow are there a lot of small QoL improvements over Sunless Sea.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:52 am

Playing a little Mirror's Edge: Catalyst while I wait for Cyberpunk 2077. It's fun. I actually am a little disappointed when I get to the end of a run. I want to just run and run and run, finding new and fluid ways to transverse the environment. Oh, and I'm loving a combat system that says it is just fine to hit that security guard, knock him off balance and then KEEP RUNNING. Beating him up isn't the point. Getting to your destination is. Beating up that guard does nothing to help you. The corps have literal buckets of bodies to put into uniforms. Get to where you're headed and don't get caught. That's the joy of the game, not the story - which is... fine. This is my first Mirror's Edge game so I have no real investment yet in any of the characters.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:03 pm

Chad wrote:
Mikel wrote:I've found Red Dead Redemption 2 is much more of a computer "sit and the desk and lean forward" kind of game than a couch game. It didn't help that they seemed to expect you to have a wall sized TV on the PS4 with relatively small text popping on briefly.

They've also done their damndest to make the game difficult to play. There's a ton of controls and it would be fine to have something in the bottom left that let you know what your current controls did, but that only pops up on occasion. Between that and the fact that, sometimes, Rockstar REALLY demands you do something exactly the way they want you to or you get a "Mission Failed/Reload" screen, I'm fighting my way bast some bad decisions to enjoy it.

Phasmaphobia with some friends has been a lot of fun. Only got a single session of Among Us in so far but I enjoyed it alot.

Talking, shooting, make horse go are all the same button depending on what you are doing. Talking to someone and punching them is the same button that changes depending on if you are one pixel too far or too close to them.

I think it's a testament to just how good the game is that it can overcome these truly awful design choices.

I also found it amusing that several of the combat and shooting challenges where solely difficult based on playing the game with a controller.

You forgot my favorite part: the ridiculously "realistic" animations that mean half the time you overshoot by several steps when trying to walk up to a cupboard or door because apparently people maneuver like dump-trucks on an oil slick :facepalm:

McNutcase wrote:Getting into Sunless Skies, and wow are there a lot of small QoL improvements over Sunless Sea.

It is truly outstanding. I cannot wait for you to get to the later game areas. Failbetter outdid themselves. The environments, the story-telling, the writing, jaw-dropping creativity, the atmosphere. It's all just *chef kiss*

Failbetter truly humbles me for thinking that I'm particularly good at coming with unique, interesting, and creative ideas for RPG vignette's or settings; I don't think I've ever played a game so plastered wall-to-wall with "stuff I've never seen or thought of before."
Have you found the yellow sign?

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:36 am

Chad wrote:

When I was first playing Red Dead 2 I got in a scuffle with the law, panicked trying to jump on my horse, and punched it out Mongo Blazing Saddles style thanks to the controls. It was amazing.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:25 pm

Currently reading the rules for the ancient (but amazingly under renewed development) Star Fleet II: Krellan Commander. Commander, engage atomic batteries and fire up the DOSBox! :-)

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:35 pm

Friend gifted me a copy of the Absolutely Everything Edition of Borderlands 3, so I've been running through that wondering why anyone would even want to play as anyone but Amara, whose party trick is to run into the middle of enemy groups and slam them all to the ground in a splat of acid, healing herself by stealing their life.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:49 am

December... let's check in on what games I'm playing...

iOS:
Image, Image, Image, Image

X1:
Image, Image, Image, Image, Image(soon!)

PC:
None...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:05 pm

Since they got surprised dropped on the Switch e-shop I've been diving into nostalgia playing No More Heroes 1 and following up into 2. And I still think they hold up.

Actually when I played through No More Heroes 1 originally I didn't even get what the story was actually going for. I got absolutely suckered in by the larger-than-life personalities and the glitz of the assassination world and missed completely that the quest to be one of the top assassins in the world had destroyed the lives of everyone in the rankings, yet Travis blunders on willfully ignoring all the signs. The story looks disjointed and meaningless and pointless because the entire quest was meaningless and pointless and the ending is Suda51 tweaking his nose at people trying to wring a story out of a tournament arc. It doesn't play the best but coming back years later and seeing what I missed, I think the writing still holds up strongly.

Also I remember back in the day that No More Heroes 2 looked better, but I don't remember it looking as much better as the ported one does. Models and animations are way better looking. Also they refined the gameplay and NMH2 feels a lot better to play through. I also had it up there on the short list of tightly themed, brilliantly written games, up there with... I dunno, Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass? A lot of games wish they were this tight.

Might flow on and replay Travis Strikes Again after these.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

Return to “Video Games”