What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby GinDragon » Wed May 15, 2019 1:54 pm

I'm not convinced that it's particularly low-effort, but you'd know more about that than I would.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed May 15, 2019 2:10 pm

They didn't seem to have a problem with it during the PS2 days. *mutter mutter piss moan bitch*
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed May 15, 2019 2:12 pm

GinDragon wrote:I'm not convinced that it's particularly low-effort, but you'd know more about that than I would.

For older consoles? It really is, especially for the company that owns all the firmware and tech of those consoles. If a handful of nerds can hack and assemble a fully functioning PS2 emulator in their free time, the company that literally created the thing could easily do it without too much time or trouble. And it only gets easier the older the consoles get. Basically, anything you're freaking phone can easily emulate would be beyond easy for the company that owns that console to emulate on their current flagship device.

I'm not saying it's no effort, nothing is no effort, but considering how much money they stand to make by reselling their entire massive back-library of older games on their current console, it seems like all upside to me. For the company, and the players.

It's possible I'm wrong, but it seems like a no-brainier to me, and as can be seen with Nintendo some companies have already realized this. See also all the old deprecated PC games that GoG has preserved to both its own benefit and the benefit of it's customers.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu May 16, 2019 8:02 am

PS3 had a unique cell architecture which is the official reason that sony didn't include it in PS4. I had a launch PS3 with the PS1/PS2 emulator which was nice, but I didn't really use that feature much, and it finally gave out a few years ago.

they did say that PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 though.
-Casey

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu May 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Sith_Mafia wrote:PS3 had a unique cell architecture which is the official reason that sony didn't include it in PS4. I had a launch PS3 with the PS1/PS2 emulator which was nice, but I didn't really use that feature much, and it finally gave out a few years ago.

Cell is a big bug bear, but that's a pretty unique example. Most other consoles are either x86 or some similar enough variant, or are old enough that it doesn't really matter either way.

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Fri May 17, 2019 7:06 pm

Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Postby Knaight » Sat May 18, 2019 5:43 am

tombombodil wrote:
Sith_Mafia wrote:PS3 had a unique cell architecture which is the official reason that sony didn't include it in PS4. I had a launch PS3 with the PS1/PS2 emulator which was nice, but I didn't really use that feature much, and it finally gave out a few years ago.

Cell is a big bug bear, but that's a pretty unique example. Most other consoles are either x86 or some similar enough variant, or are old enough that it doesn't really matter either way.

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks

There's a few edge cases, though a lot of them are getting easier to brute force. The SEGA Genesis was just bizarrely designed in a lot of ways, to the point where emulation is still spotty despite both a dedicated emulation community and professionals doing commercial emulation.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Mon May 20, 2019 5:33 am

Vermintide 2

I've had it a while, but never really played it. Finally a few of my friends got it and we played all day yesterday. Really digging it, just like the first one. I just wonder how long my mouse will last with all the clicking...

John
Host

Postby John » Mon May 20, 2019 11:57 am

I got monster hunter world on sale last week and am enjoying it.

I killed the t-rex which was supposedly the difficulty spike into the real meat of the game with no trouble but I'm a grizzled soulsborne vet so I guess that's expected.

The biggest adjustment is how long some of the animations are. In ds3/sekiro the animations are fast and furious, especially the player's. There's a lot of reacting RIGHT NOW and not a lot of "position yourself at the beginning of this animation so you'll strike where the monster will be 2 seconds from where it is in its current animation". In monster hunter so far that's the entire game.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon May 20, 2019 12:01 pm

BottledViolence wrote:Vermintide 2

I've had it a while, but never really played it. Finally a few of my friends got it and we played all day yesterday. Really digging it, just like the first one. I just wonder how long my mouse will last with all the clicking...
Yeah its basically just Vermintide again with some different stuff and a new set of levels. Which means it's tons of fun.

The higher difficulties are really hard core, which again means I couldn't get into them as much as I wanted too because play in with randos at that their blows (in my experience) an none of my friends who played with me want to stick with it long enough to get the gear you need to run at that level.

I like that you can play all the levels from the expansions without having to pay when using standard random match making.

Return to “Video Games”