What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
User avatar
Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant
Posts: 2113
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Spammy V » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:16 pm

I think Yakuza 0 might be a fine entry point. Granted, my introduction to the franchise was watching a friend stream Yakuza 3, and I wouldn't say I was overwhelmed there either. I don't think I've run into too much in 0 so far that depends on things I don't know from Yakuza 1. But if you'd rather wait, the remake of Yakuza 1 is supposed to be coming out on Steam later this year.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

User avatar
GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1786
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:43 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby GinDragon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:49 am

Spammy V wrote:I think Yakuza 0 might be a fine entry point. Granted, my introduction to the franchise was watching a friend stream Yakuza 3, and I wouldn't say I was overwhelmed there either. I don't think I've run into too much in 0 so far that depends on things I don't know from Yakuza 1. But if you'd rather wait, the remake of Yakuza 1 is supposed to be coming out on Steam later this year.

I don't have a burning desire to buy a game right now, so that may just happen by default, but thanks.

User avatar
Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer
Posts: 2812
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Sith_Mafia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:21 am

lord of the rings living card game from fantasy flight just hit steam early access. you can get in for 7.99

this is a digital version of their card game although its not 1for1. it is pve only which is a nice change actually. eventually it will support 2 player co-op. it will be free to play when it releases but i went ahead and got the cheap package to play now. its a bit like playing the hearthstone single player adventures where you have to build a custom deck to beat a specific challenge.

being a living game there are no random booster packs. you can unlock new cards via game play or buy them straight up. but at least you always know what you're getting.
-Casey

User avatar
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron
Posts: 13165
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT
Contact:

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Ikoma » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:25 am

Never saw the point of worrying about vehicle upgrades in SoD2. I mean, I have other - typically more pressing - concerns to deal with. Latest game saw me end up with a character with the Engineering specialization and another with the Auto-mechanic specialization. (Very mechanical group. I have no medical skills in the group.) So I kinda had to try. And now I get it. The Vandito is the greatest thing EVER. I never want to drive anything else on a supply run. And the Road Rampager (I think that's what it's called) is just the ticket when you need to get across the map in 3 minutes flat.

Still, I think when I upgrade out of the Police Station (probably to the ball field), I won't bother rebuilding the auto shop. I'll have no need at that point. Fleet is all tricked out.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
JediSoth
I am the story stick
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:01 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby JediSoth » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:07 am

Just started playing Star Trek Online, since I'm feeling in a Trek mood right now. I'm finding the controls a little clunky, but the story lines are engaging enough. I'd like a little more exploration/diplomacy and a little less combat, though.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

User avatar
Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer
Posts: 2812
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:05 pm

JediSoth wrote:Just started playing Star Trek Online, since I'm feeling in a Trek mood right now. I'm finding the controls a little clunky, but the story lines are engaging enough. I'd like a little more exploration/diplomacy and a little less combat, though.


ive got a Star Trek Online - Humble Trekkie Pack code if you want it
-Casey

User avatar
JediSoth
I am the story stick
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:01 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby JediSoth » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:37 am

Sith_Mafia wrote:
JediSoth wrote:Just started playing Star Trek Online, since I'm feeling in a Trek mood right now. I'm finding the controls a little clunky, but the story lines are engaging enough. I'd like a little more exploration/diplomacy and a little less combat, though.


ive got a Star Trek Online - Humble Trekkie Pack code if you want it


That'd be great, thanks! I made a 23rd century Andorian and have now gotten to the point where I've been recruited as a Time Agent and am in the 25th century with the rest of the game. It was pretty fun to run around in TOS uniforms and on sets with that aesthetic (plus I got to tangle with Tholians and Gorn; two species criminally underused in TNG and DS9, IMO).
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

User avatar
DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion
Posts: 11389
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:30 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Destiny 2 was free for PS+ so I've been running around in that a bit. I never played the first one.

It's fun, I made a Titan, I plan to go Sunbreaker when I get far enough to unlock it. IDK how long I'll stick with it and if I'm gonna spend money for the expansion I'll probably restart on PC, but for a free PS+ game it's better than most I've gotten.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

User avatar
Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC
Posts: 27451
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Just finished up the new Spider-Man, and hooooly hell. It's about goddamn time that Spider-Man 2 got a sequel.

A sequel without Mysterio, so automatically a lesser sequel, but in all non-Mysterio-related ways it's otherwise an excellently made game with a nicely executed Spider-Man story. Lots of horrible luck, awful choices, bad PR and personal suffering to go around. All leavened with the roller coaster of optimism that marks the best of Spider-Man media.

Also? No origin story of Peter. No Uncle Ben dying, waah waah, same thing that keeps getting rehashed. Naw, he's been at this for nearly a decade now. It's a Parker in his prime, and that's fun stuff.

I think this is also the first Spider-Man game I've played with extra costumes as unlockables where the Symbiote suit isn't one of them. I'm marginally disappointed, because it's almost like a tradition at this point, but there are way better outfits available, so it's not a big loss.

On the downside, while I love Insomniac and pretty much everything they produce, they really are great at cartoony, or at least stylized characters, and hell, all the costumed characters look awesome. Normal ass people, though ... ooof. Most of them are barely into the uncanny valley, from the wrong side. It can be kind of distracting at times.


... Finally, apparently Marvel games need mid-credit and post-credits scenes now, too. They're good enough, but really? Was that necessary?
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 11709
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby tombombodil » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:Just finished up the new Spider-Man, and hooooly hell. It's about goddamn time that Spider-Man 2 got a sequel.

A sequel without Mysterio, so automatically a lesser sequel, but in all non-Mysterio-related ways it's otherwise an excellently made game with a nicely executed Spider-Man story. Lots of horrible luck, awful choices, bad PR and personal suffering to go around. All leavened with the roller coaster of optimism that marks the best of Spider-Man media.

Also? No origin story of Peter. No Uncle Ben dying, waah waah, same thing that keeps getting rehashed. Naw, he's been at this for nearly a decade now. It's a Parker in his prime, and that's fun stuff.

I think this is also the first Spider-Man game I've played with extra costumes as unlockables where the Symbiote suit isn't one of them. I'm marginally disappointed, because it's almost like a tradition at this point, but there are way better outfits available, so it's not a big loss.

On the downside, while I love Insomniac and pretty much everything they produce, they really are great at cartoony, or at least stylized characters, and hell, all the costumed characters look awesome. Normal ass people, though ... ooof. Most of them are barely into the uncanny valley, from the wrong side. It can be kind of distracting at times.


... Finally, apparently Marvel games need mid-credit and post-credits scenes now, too. They're good enough, but really? Was that necessary?


Agreed on pretty much all accounts. My only complaints are the busy-work side quests that I hoped Insomniac would be above (although they do tie them to power progression which makes them less meh), and the fact that I was really hoping there would be more boss-fights, especially since the one's that are there are so fantastic. Like, they could have cut out 5 fisk hide-out bases and two dozen random crimes and added two bossfights and 2-3 more actual narrative side-quests and it would have made the game even richer.

Also I agree in particular that they nailed a unique cartooney aesthetic for both the city -which is realistic in proportion but also bright super saturated and colorful- and the super characters. I don't know what they could have done with the regular human characters in cut-scenes, it really is pretty bad in spots. Also JJJ as Marvel's Alex Jones is kind of perfect :lol:
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?


Return to “Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron