What Video Games are you playing?

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Re: What Video Games are you playing?

Postby McNutcase » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:14 am

tombombodil wrote:
McNutcase wrote:For god knows what reason, Half-life. The original.

It hold up surprisingly well. You should play the fan made Remake in Source 2, it's excellent.

I tried Black Mesa, and it felt like they were so busy making it bug-for-bug compatible as an experience that they forgot to include any fun. Also, it had a severe case of Mod Team Difficulty, where the difficulty gets pumped way way up because the internal playtesting doesn't account for the increasing skill of the playtesters.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:15 pm

McNutcase wrote:
tombombodil wrote:

It hold up surprisingly well. You should play the fan made Remake in Source 2, it's excellent.

I tried Black Mesa, and it felt like they were so busy making it bug-for-bug compatible as an experience that they forgot to include any fun. Also, it had a severe case of Mod Team Difficulty, where the difficulty gets pumped way way up because the internal playtesting doesn't account for the increasing skill of the playtesters.

Did you play the release version of it? I can't speak to how different it is, but i do know that i changed and improved a LOT over the past like, 6 years?
Have you found the yellow sign?

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:02 pm

tombombodil wrote:
McNutcase wrote:
tombombodil wrote:

Did you play the release version of it? I can't speak to how different it is, but i do know that i changed and improved a LOT over the past like, 6 years?

That's all I played. At launch, admittedly, but it was what they considered fit for sale. They were so stoked at having implemented the duck-jump that EVERY time I had to jump, it had to be a duck-jump. It got so wearing that I ended up hating it, and quit bothering around the start of On A Rail. Which is a not insignificant chunk into the game.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:00 pm

Trying out the original Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3) on the Switch port.

Never got around to it with fan translations or anything.

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:37 pm

Mostly Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin on my Switch. Which is a pretty charming little combination farming game/Metroidvania. I guess the closest comparison would be so Rune Factory or Stardew Valley but not quite. Instead of going broad on a diverse farm, the game goes deeper on rice and rice alone. And rather than top-down dungeon crawling, you've got Metroidvania levels. But closer to Order of Ecclesia than Symphony of the Night in terms of structure.

It is a very deliberate game since it's broken into twelve "days" in a year, and the necessities of handling the farming yourself will often eat up whole or half days and not give you much time to make progress in a new level. The short levels are also meant to be explored multiple times, with 3-4 mini objectives to do in order to raise your exploration level and actually unlock new locations.

I do like the characterization in the game. The villagers have a tweak beyond their usual archetypes and it's shockingly natural how the game fills in characterization and worldbuilding by having them making small talk over dinner together. And I do think it's an interesting move to have a faux-Dutch missionary in fantasy faux-Japan having contrasting views on theology with a literal harvest goddess sitting there across from her.

The repetition involved with farming and the downtime it creates does end up slowing the pace down with probably makes the game something of an acquired taste, but I've been quite enjoying it with a few quibbles about the farming controls that have not impacted my results negatively, just make it hard for things to look orderly.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:18 am

Spammy V wrote:Mostly Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin on my Switch. Which is a pretty charming little combination farming game/Metroidvania. I guess the closest comparison would be so Rune Factory or Stardew Valley but not quite. Instead of going broad on a diverse farm, the game goes deeper on rice and rice alone. And rather than top-down dungeon crawling, you've got Metroidvania levels. But closer to Order of Ecclesia than Symphony of the Night in terms of structure.

It is a very deliberate game since it's broken into twelve "days" in a year, and the necessities of handling the farming yourself will often eat up whole or half days and not give you much time to make progress in a new level. The short levels are also meant to be explored multiple times, with 3-4 mini objectives to do in order to raise your exploration level and actually unlock new locations.

I do like the characterization in the game. The villagers have a tweak beyond their usual archetypes and it's shockingly natural how the game fills in characterization and worldbuilding by having them making small talk over dinner together. And I do think it's an interesting move to have a faux-Dutch missionary in fantasy faux-Japan having contrasting views on theology with a literal harvest goddess sitting there across from her.

The repetition involved with farming and the downtime it creates does end up slowing the pace down with probably makes the game something of an acquired taste, but I've been quite enjoying it with a few quibbles about the farming controls that have not impacted my results negatively, just make it hard for things to look orderly.

I've been eyeing this one as it looks like a lot of fun.

I didn't realize the action sections were Metroidvania-esque. That piques my interest even more.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 am

Ton of new stuff hit Game Pass this weekend. Finally gonna be able to give Arkham Knight the attention it deserves. (That's how bad the batmobile stuff burned me in Arkham City... I'm just now getting to A. Knight.)

Oh, and firmly in the middle of a Wasteland 3 playthough. And now I have no idea why I've never played this series before. Should I download the remastered Wasteland and Wasteland 2? (Both are on Game Pass.) Or is this a Witcher situation where 3 clearly outshines its predecessors?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:56 pm

Ikoma wrote:Ton of new stuff hit Game Pass this weekend. Finally gonna be able to give Arkham Knight the attention it deserves. (That's how bad the batmobile stuff burned me in Arkham City... I'm just now getting to A. Knight.)

I've got some bad news for you, Ikoma.

There was no Batmobile stuff in Arkham city.

That was only in Arkham Knight. You're just going right back into the same Batmotank territory that apparently already burned you once.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:02 am

YEAH!

I downloaded Knight. And started it. And it was familiar... I was thinking it was a bit of deja vu. And then... IT hit. The moment you have to - all using the batmobile - pull down a building façade, make a perfectly timed jet thruster jump, maneuver around a tight roof using the winch to create ramps, etc, power winch yourself across a gap, and then perfectly time pumping the accelerator to build a sufficient electrical charge to power this antennae. Oh, and if you screw up? You fall back to the street level and have to start all over again. THIS is the game that frustrated me so much! ARGH!

I mean, this time I got past it. So... I'm better? And while it was frustrating, I didn't quit like I'm pretty sure I did first time trying it. After I got past that section, I got to sections that don't feel like deja vu. So I think I'm further along that I get the first time I tried to play it.

We'll see...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:21 am

Been playing Pokemon Unite since it released and I think I've figured out my thoughts on the game.

The Good: The actual battles are fun. This is going to sound like some real faint praise when I'm done but it's my honest feeling. It's a MOBA, but instead of getting your minions to destroy the enemy tower, you knock out wild Pokemon for points that you score in an enemy goal zone. The games have a hard time limit of 10 minutes, things move at a good clip, for the most part if they fix the balance issues in patches the game would be great.

The Bad: The menus. The main menu has options you scroll through AND four buttons bring up other menus/info screens that you can't scroll through.

The matchmaking lobby. There's no hover-and-select as you're moving the cursor through Pokemon, every time you move the cursor over a Pokemon the game's got to stop for a second and load the model. And because it tries to skip over a Pokemon someone else has selected you wind up with people tripping over themselves. What's even worse is the game lets you highlight a Favorite Pokemon, but doesn't give any preference to that in matchmaking.

The controls. They're overcomplicated. The in-game quick message system is useless because you can't be moving and using it at the same time, meaning you can't start moving and tell your team to attack bottom lane. And other little stuff. Eventually you get a spring pad in your base that can launch you into the fight, but it takes three button presses AND taking your thumbs off of where they are 90% of the time AND it doesn't match the controls anywhere else. Why?

Also, I hate Zapdos. The rounds go for ten minutes and Zapdos spawns at 8:00. The team that knocks out Zapdos gets a bunch of points and a boost to their scoring speed that makes it practically impossible to stop them from scoring. The game can be close until Zapdos happens and suddenly one team has an insurmountable 100 point lead. But there's still time on the clock. This is awful game design- It should provide points or the buff but not both.

The I Cannot Recommend This Game At All: It's insidious but it is just pay to win. You have held items to give you stat boosts and passive bonuses. These held items can get upgraded, permanently. You don't buy the upgrades directly but you buy a 4x boost to your chances at getting the upgrade currency so you wind up pulling ahead of people who didn't. You don't see upgrade levels on other player's items and I don't think matchmaking takes it into account, there's been several games where the enemy carry can 100-to-0 me quickly even when I'm playing a tank that I suspect they just maxed out their items. To hell with this system, even before I saw the P2W line when I saw the upgrade button I knew this game had no competitive integrity.

So yeah. Coulda been a good game. Maybe woulda been a good game with a few balance patches. Ain't ever gonna be a good game unless they throw out the item upgrades. Unless you are just very interested in trying every MOBA out I wouldn't bother downloading it.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

Return to “Video Games”