Random Video Game Thoughts

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12140
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: Random Video Game Thoughts

Postby tombombodil » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:33 pm

BottledViolence wrote:I've decided to try all of the old school D&D games I can find. Note that I said try, not play through. I'll see how far I can get. :lol:


Old school mechanically or literally old school i.e. came out pre-2000 ?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly
Posts: 11565
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:37 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Random Video Game Thoughts

Postby BottledViolence » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:51 pm

tombombodil wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:I've decided to try all of the old school D&D games I can find. Note that I said try, not play through. I'll see how far I can get. :lol:


Old school mechanically or literally old school i.e. came out pre-2000 ?

Like starting with the gold box games. :lol:

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12140
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: Random Video Game Thoughts

Postby tombombodil » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:15 am

BottledViolence wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:I've decided to try all of the old school D&D games I can find. Note that I said try, not play through. I'll see how far I can get. :lol:


Old school mechanically or literally old school i.e. came out pre-2000 ?

Like starting with the gold box games. :lol:


Some of them are good, some of them are... not. I've played almost every gold box game retrospectively as game design research and there certainly a fascinating "primordial soup of video games" quality to them.
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly
Posts: 11565
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:37 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Random Video Game Thoughts

Postby BottledViolence » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:08 am

tombombodil wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:I've decided to try all of the old school D&D games I can find. Note that I said try, not play through. I'll see how far I can get. :lol:


Old school mechanically or literally old school i.e. came out pre-2000 ?

Like starting with the gold box games. :lol:


Some of them are good, some of them are... not. I've played almost every gold box game retrospectively as game design research and there certainly a fascinating "primordial soup of video games" quality to them.

I played them as a kid, and they were really cumbersome, but since that's all we had, we rolled with it. They poor UI design is still there, but I'm using Gold Box Companion, so the cheats make it a bit more tolerable. It really hammers home why I remember the very beginning so well and don't remember any of the rest. Dumb luck can put you on your ass really quick! :lol:

User avatar
mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!
Posts: 15211
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:26 am
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Random Video Game Thoughts

Postby mindtakerr » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:36 am

I'm just remembering there is a character named Khushnood Butt in a Fatal Fury game.

"Hey guys, got any ideas for totally normal names in the US?"
"Khushnood Butt?"
"Done and done!"

User avatar
Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat
Posts: 5777
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:56 am

Re: Random Video Game Thoughts

Postby Mikel » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:07 pm

BottledViolence wrote:Some of them are good, some of them are... not. I've played almost every gold box game retrospectively as game design research and there certainly a fascinating "primordial soup of video games" quality to them.

I played them as a kid, and they were really cumbersome, but since that's all we had, we rolled with it. They poor UI design is still there, but I'm using Gold Box Companion, so the cheats make it a bit more tolerable. It really hammers home why I remember the very beginning so well and don't remember any of the rest. Dumb luck can put you on your ass really quick! :lol:[/quote]


I remember Hillsfar feeling like something that broke huge new ground when I was a kid. Been forever since I've played any of those old school games.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

User avatar
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron
Posts: 13784
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT
Contact:

Re: Random Video Game Thoughts

Postby Ikoma » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:02 pm


Yup... sooner or later I will play it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear
Posts: 27571
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Random Video Game Thoughts

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:38 pm

Ikoma wrote:
Yup... sooner or later I will play it.

When I saw the first Promotional image, I was really hoping that was Steph as Batgirl.

Alas, it's Babs. I was really hoping for "Oops: All Robins"
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

User avatar
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron
Posts: 13784
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT
Contact:

Re: Random Video Game Thoughts

Postby Ikoma » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:27 pm

A. All Robins would have indeed been cool. I'm not put off by Barbara, of course, but I see where you are coming from.

B. CKIII is Xbox Game Pass for PC on day 1? And if you have Game Pass, you have it for both Xbox and PC. So... I get to play CKIII day 1 at no additional cost. <doing a little happy dance>
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron
Posts: 13784
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT
Contact:

Re: Random Video Game Thoughts

Postby Ikoma » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:33 pm

So I watch a video listing the three different life paths you must choose from when starting a Cyberpunk 2077 game. Each new life path, I'm thinking, "THIS is the one I'm gonna choose!"

I've come to realize I'll be doing three playthroughs of this game.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Return to “Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests