Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

For all of your non-tabletop gaming needs.
mindtakerr
Minnesota Dwharves tosser

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Postby mindtakerr » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:50 am

This game looks incredible and is getting rave reviews. Anyone have any thoughts yet?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Postby Ikoma » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:51 am

mindtakerr wrote:This game looks incredible and is getting rave reviews. Anyone have any thoughts yet?

I will get it and I will play it. But I have not yet done either so no real thought... other than anticipation.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:59 am

It looks fine. It will probably be fine. I don't have any expectations for it to be exceptional. I think it will probably be a very playable and mostly pretty fun action game that functions as an agreeable, easily digestible palate cleanser after the dumpster fires that were the last two battlefront games.
Have you found the yellow sign?

John
Host

Postby John » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:53 pm

It looks like a third person over-the-shoulder dodge-parry-strike action game that I probably would have liked five years ago but will probably feel like watery garbage now that I've acclimated myself to the From Software standard of precision and difficulty in that genre.

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Oh, this finally came out? Huh, haven't seen anything about it in a while.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

mindtakerr
Minnesota Dwharves tosser

Postby mindtakerr » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:Oh, this finally came out? Huh, haven't seen anything about it in a while.

True. That can be a good or bad thing.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:41 am

John wrote:It looks like a third person over-the-shoulder dodge-parry-strike action game that I probably would have liked five years ago but will probably feel like watery garbage now that I've acclimated myself to the From Software standard of precision and difficulty in that genre.

I can pretty much 100% confirm this after having played it for ~4 hours this afternoon. It's fine. It almost has a CoD Modern Warfare style obsession with railroading you through "amazing exciting set pieces" where you can't really do anything and eventually get rewarded with some repetitive room by room combat if you're still awake by the time you regain control. And it feels obnoxiously hand-holdy a lot of the time, but then maybe that's just the 10000+ hours of gaming experience talking again.

I dunno man, as someone who has developed games I have a really hard time being particularly down on something that so much work clearly went into and is so technically competent. Especially considering that this studio's last game, TitanFall 2, was a straight up rock-solid modern classic of an FPS with a great campaign, amazingly polished gameplay and fun multiplayer.

I think this is a situation where even at the AAA level of top tier development a studio can't just leverage raw skill and money and time to become suddenly amazing at making a type of game they've never made before. Compared to a studio like From Software or Platinum Games or even Team goddamn JigglePhysics Ninja who have been making third person melee action games for years and getting better and better at the absolute fundamentals and learning so much about how to go about it, this game's controls and mechanics feel seriously amateur.

I re-loaded Sekiro just to check that I wasn't being hugely unfair and yep, it really is absurd how different the quality in gameplay is. It's honestly a real shame because I would say Respawn (the studio who made this game) are just as good at building first person shooter gameplay as FromSoftware is at making third person melee gameplay (which is fucking high praise), and I would have LOVED a Titanfall 3. I don't even think I'm sour on it because the game doesn't hold up to the bar that FromSoftware placed somewhere in the upper stratosphere with respect to fluidity, reliability and intuitiveness of controls and camera movements (particularly in Bloodborne, Dark Soul 3, and Sekiro); I would say it's because it doesn't even hold up to solid but no better than average++ contenders like the first Bayonetta or Dreadful Moldy Curds: Devil May Cry, both of which came out years ago.

I dunno (again) I think I'm probably gonna play all the way through it just to give it a chance to open up a bit and give myself time to adjust to the less refined controls. This really is a first impression, but first impressions count for a lot, and for what I want out of a game I'm not particularly energized.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:09 am

tombombodil wrote: Especially considering that this studio's last game, TitanFall 2

Apex Legends
-Casey

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:54 pm

Sith_Mafia wrote:
tombombodil wrote: Especially considering that this studio's last game, TitanFall 2

Apex Legends

Corrected. Although Apex legends is pretty damn close to just being a new TitanFall 2 Multiplayer mode without the mechs.

Also update, I've warmed to this game a decent amount. It's still buggy and clunky but I'm mostly enjoying it, especially the bigger more open levels you get to a little later in the game. Also an adorable robot companion is a pretty cheap but effective way to raise my level of investment in the world and story. I really wish it wasn't trying so hard to be Dark Souls and was instead trying to be more like Bayonetta or God of War or Devin May Cry: faster and looser and more dynamic. Being super methodical and cautious and plodding in combat encounters really clashes with the fantasy of being a Jedi for me.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:51 am

my 10yr old wants this, but the dark souls comparison makes me think it will be too hard for him. is there any easy mode?

he's fine with games like battlefront 2 or fortnite, but im not sure about this one.
-Casey

Return to “Video Games”