0-level D&D game OOC thread

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Fallout_Monkey
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Re: 0-level D&D game OOC thread

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:47 pm

Rowan 17
Dollin 16
Acker 11
Violet 10 (Used Dex stat to break tie)
Billie 10
Doug 9
Jacob 5
Goblins 4

Just so I don't mess anything up let me just go over placement of everyone. putting the goblins in the middle of the clock and the Dwarves and Violet at 6 o'clock. That would mean Jacob is at 12, Dollin at about 7, Billie at 9, Rowan at 3 and I'm guessing Alyssa would be somewhere around 6 or 7. Does that sound about right?

Should I give the NPC control to you guys in combat? Just to make tactics choices for you easier.
Check out my wife's book

Arbuthnott
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby Arbuthnott » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:22 pm

In my head, I was visualising Billie and Rowan emerging at 2 and 10 respectively, with Rowan moving to 12 at the begining of his turn. If Jacob is indeed going to be at 12, however, Rowan will stay at 10.

Using this clock analogy, Billie has thrown her caltrops at around 3-4ish.

As for Jacob, I am more then happy leaving him to you, FM. Any tactics Rowan or Billie will want to do with him will just have to be communicated verbally :D Although that's speaking just for myself; if either LF or Ikoma want to take the reins, I'm happy with that.

Lord Foul
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:10 am

Arbuthnott's image is more like my own perception too, so I'm happy with that version.

Also agree that NPCs should be your concern. Any tactical play will need to be coordinated between PCs and NPCs and it's only right that each should have free will. We don't really know Jacob or Alyssa well enough to make those decisions for them.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:02 am

Agree with my two fellow players on all counts. Couldn't have said it better myself.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Lord Foul
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:23 pm

However... if you are looking for suggestions, and I was to put myself into the persona of a ranger for a moment... it might not be unreasonable for Jacob to read the mood of the goblins and deduce that if he were to take down their leader the rabble might lose the will to fight or run.

Just a thought. :whistle:

Fallout_Monkey

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:21 pm

The fleeing goblins are just past the group at three, nine, and twelve o'clock
Check out my wife's book

Arbuthnott
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby Arbuthnott » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:01 pm

Because Rowan took a step towards the goblins to perform his dirty trick, would the goblin that made it past Jacob have provoked an attack of opportunity by leaving Rowan's reach? He did one AoO against the pesky critter that made it past him, but Rowan has a feat (combat reflexes) that gives him a second AoO

Fallout_Monkey

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:40 am

I thought the mud slinging was a cool visual so I'm just ruling you gave up one of your AoO in order to get the extra attack.

As for Rowan charging into the bush it wouldn't quite work out based on the rules. I'm having the goblins use the withdraw action which means they'd double their movement and are not restricted by terrain, so the goblin would move 30 feet total(instead of 60 because of the terrain). In order to keep up and attack Rowan would have to charge which you can't do in difficult terrain. Unfortunately Rowan can't just move and attack because would only be able to move 15 feet and would be short 5 feet to reach with his billhook.

So we need to fix what happens. You could chase the goblin who stayed on the trail and the same effect but would get an AoO. Withdrawn only prevents AoOs on the starting 5 feet so as he enters and leaves the reach of your billhook you could try to trip him and gain a plus 2 to your attack roll because of deft maneuvers.

Or you could take the withdraw action yourself to keep pace with goblin going into the bush and do the AoO thing on that one. If you chose this route just remove the attack from you post

Both goblins are just going to withdrawn on their next turn so you can just add the AoO to original post
Check out my wife's book

Lord Foul
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:12 pm

From earlier:

Fallout_Monkey wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:Deft Manoeuvres appears to have a wider spread than those feats it replaces, allowing a greater range of application than any one of those feats, but it also seems underpowered compared with any one of them. While that makes sense in terms of overall balance, it may not be so good if he only wanted one of those combat manoeuvres as a preferred fighting style. I note that Improved Trip grants an extra melee attack, which I'd guess may be the principal reason for choosing it. That isn't there in the new feat, so all it really gives is the avoidance of the attack of opportunity, which can also be avoided by using a weapon or taking Improved Unarmed Strike, and the reduced +2 bonus on the check. I have to wonder whether that is enough to warrant taking it instead of something with a clear benefit.

I see what happened. I didn't do my research properly. I had looked at Improved feats on the pathfinder wiki when I looking over Deft Manoeuvres which is also a pathfinder feat. They all looked the same so Deft Manoeuvres made sense. What I didn't realize was that at the trip and disarm feats had been nerfed in pathfinder, that feint wasn't the same kind of feat, and that dirty trick, steal, and reposition were introduced in pathfinder.

the +4 makes sense since we agreed to use the 3.5 rules for most things and the way CMD works in PF for most fighters it work out to the same numbers. So we'll up Deft Manoeuvres to a +4 bonus. I'm also fine with having the feat give the extra attack for trip attempts, and it making feints a move action. With the extra Manoeuvres thrown in there we'll see Rowan do more than just trip up everyone.

Arbuthnott
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby Arbuthnott » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:23 pm

Fallout_Monkey wrote:I thought the mud slinging was a cool visual so I'm just ruling you gave up one of your AoO in order to get the extra attack.

I like that :thumbup:

Fallout_Monkey wrote:As for Rowan charging into the bush it wouldn't quite work out based on the rules. I'm having the goblins use the withdraw action which means they'd double their movement and are not restricted by terrain, so the goblin would move 30 feet total(instead of 60 because of the terrain). In order to keep up and attack Rowan would have to charge which you can't do in difficult terrain. Unfortunately Rowan can't just move and attack because would only be able to move 15 feet and would be short 5 feet to reach with his billhook.

D'oh :facepalm: I'll assume that Billie's goblin is the same.

Return to “Play By Post”