0-level D&D esque game interest check

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
User avatar
Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Location: Cranbrook, BC, Canada

0-level D&D esque game interest check

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:24 pm

I've been inspired by some youtube videos I've been watching to run some low level D&D. And I really want to try the DCC character funnel. I think this would be great for play by post so I figured let's see who's interested. The game will start in the village the characters grew up in and they will be forced to adventure for some reason. Most likely a massacre but I haven't really decided yet.

You'll get 4 characters. Some or all my die really quickly. This will be a simplified version of D&D. Each character will have a race, basic ability scores, a profession, some money(or debt), a trinket and maybe a name. Since one player will have 4 PCs, we can play with as little as one player.

Here's how we'll do character creation. Roll 2d4 for your race(see chart below). Then 3d6 in order for your Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, and Cha. Roll 1d4 +Con mod. for Hit points and 1d6+Wis mod. for Silver Pieces. If you Roll a character or two that has 0 or less hit points the character died before the game, you can roll a 5th character(you could work these deaths into a backstory for another of your characters).

After you've rolled up your characters, I'll randomly generate 6 professions and four trinkets for you to allocate to your characters. Trinkets you can distribute however you see fit. Professions you can combine into one or use only one for all characters(i.e you are generating a family, or a business) but each character must have one.

2d4 race
2 Half-orc +2 to any one ability
3 Halfling +2 Dex, +2 Cha, –2 Str
4 Dwarf +2 Con, +2 Wis, –2 Cha.
5 Human +2 to any one ability
6 Elf +2 Dex, +2 Int, –2 Con
7 Gnomes +2 Con, +2 Cha, –2 Str.
8 Half-elf +2 to any one ability
Check out my wife's book

User avatar
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron
Posts: 13658
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT
Contact:

Re: 0-level D&D esque game interest check

Postby Ikoma » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:19 pm

I'm game to try something new. I'll post rolls in a couple of hours with my 4 PCs...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron
Posts: 13658
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT
Contact:

Re: 0-level D&D esque game interest check

Postby Ikoma » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Output 1: Race: [2d4] = 3, STR: [3d6] = 7, DEX: [3d6] = 11, CON: [3d6] = 8, INT: [3d6] = 8, WIS: [3d6] = 9, CHA: [3d6] = 17, HP: [1d4] = 4, SP: [1d6] = 6

Output 2: Race: [2d4] = 6, STR: [3d6] = 3, DEX: [3d6] = 10, CON: [3d6] = 18, INT: [3d6] = 5, WIS: [3d6] = 13, CHA: [3d6] = 14, HP: [1d4] = 1, SP: [1d6] = 5

Output 3: Race: [2d4] = 4, STR: [3d6] = 11, DEX: [3d6] = 13, CON: [3d6] = 8, INT: [3d6] = 10, WIS: [3d6] = 12, CHA: [3d6] = 9, HP: [1d4] = 2, SP: [1d6] = 2

Output 4: Race: [2d4] = 4, STR: [3d6] = 16, DEX: [3d6] = 13, CON: [3d6] = 13, INT: [3d6] = 10, WIS: [3d6] = 6, CHA: [3d6] = 8, HP: [1d4] = 2, SP: [1d6] = 4

That turns into...

PC 1: Halfing; STR: 5, DEX: 13, CON: 8, INT: 8, WIS: 9, CHA: 19, HP: 3, SP: 5

PC 2: Elf; STR: 3, DEX: 12, CON: 16, INT: 7, WIS: 13, CHA: 14, HP: 4, SP: 6

PC 3: Dwarf; STR: 11, DEX: 13, CON: 10, INT: 10, WIS: 14, CHA: 7, HP: 2, SP: 4

PC 4: Dwarf; STR: 16, DEX: 13, CON: 15, INT: 10, WIS: 8, CHA: 6, HP: 4, SP: 3

None died in the process! Yeah. Excited to see what professions and trinkets I might have.

From a standard D&D point of view, that halfling might become a Sorcerer with that CHA and a decent Dex. And NOTHING else!

The Elf has four positive modifiers. But that STR 3 and INT 7 makes things tough. DEX isn't high enough to warrant finesse combat or even ranged combat. Although maybe you make monk work. So... magic user? Druid could avoid the STR issue.

Dwarf #1 is so basic. Good WIS, DEX, and CHA. Only has bad CHA. He's got a lot of choices, but maybe ranger might be best.

Dwarf #2 is easily the best D&D character. Good combat stats. Horrible mental stats. Fighter or Barbarian would be easy.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Location: Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Re: 0-level D&D esque game interest check

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:21 pm

Stone Mason
Ferryman
Glassblower
Doctor
Shaman
Jeweler

-A black pirate flag adorned with a dragon's skull and crossbones
-A candle that can't be lit
-A blank book whose pages refuse to hold ink, chalk, graphite, or any other substance or marking
-A rabbit's foot

The professions are open to interpretation. The doctor for example could be a surgeon or a simple herbalist.
Check out my wife's book

User avatar
Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Location: Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Re: 0-level D&D esque game interest check

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:27 pm

The setting is pretty open right now. I'm thinking a typical pseudo medieval Europe. Arcane Magic is dangerous and can be chaotic. Divine magic requires devotion with a chance of annoying your patron. I'm thinking characters will need to seek out training or a mentor once they achieve 1st level and you decide what class you want them to be.
Check out my wife's book

User avatar
Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Location: Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Re: 0-level D&D esque game interest check

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:51 pm

Ikoma wrote: Yeah. Excited to see what professions and trinkets I might have.


I want to let you know the list of professions and trinkets above was generated for you. I didn't state that in the initial post so it might not have been clear.
Check out my wife's book

User avatar
Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Location: Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Re: 0-level D&D esque game interest check

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Some more info:
The village of West Haven has been in good spirt since winter ended, it was a cold hard one but everyone pulled together and managed. Tomorrow is the Sown Day Festival where West Haven and the surrounding farms celebrate the completion of the spring planting. This year in addition to usual carousing, cavorting, and feasting, the Reeve has promised prizes for archery and strong man competitions. Johan, the local hedge mage, has been preparing his annual fireworks for weeks. Everyone is excited, even the news of East Willow being sturck by a mysterious plague and the northern mountain village of Axe Peak starving this winter hasn't put a damper on people's spirits.
Check out my wife's book

User avatar
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron
Posts: 13658
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT
Contact:

Re: 0-level D&D esque game interest check

Postby Ikoma » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:49 pm

I feel like I have to use Stone Mason as Dwarf #2. I'm going to go against type here a little and give him the blank book whose pages refuse to hold ink, chalk, graphite, or any other substance or marking. It's a token of lost love.

I like Dwarf #1 as a Ferryman / Riverboat operator. We'll give him the black pirate flag adorned with a dragon's skull and crossbones and say he either occasionally operates as a pirate or stole it from a pirate. Not decided yet.

I'm gonna go with the Halfling as a Doctor but run him more as a snake oil salesman / conman kind of thing. I like the idea of him having a rabbit's foot and being deeply superstitious.

I think the Elf would make a good Shaman. I'll give her the candle that can't be lit. Don't know what to make of it yet but I'm sure it'll be fun once we figure out a way to move forward.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Location: Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Re: 0-level D&D esque game interest check

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Ikoma wrote:I feel like I have to use Stone Mason as Dwarf #2. I'm going to go against type here a little and give him the blank book whose pages refuse to hold ink, chalk, graphite, or any other substance or marking. It's a token of lost love.


When you say lost love what are you thinking? Dead, missing, moved away, moved on and married another?

Ikoma wrote:I like Dwarf #1 as a Ferryman / Riverboat operator. We'll give him the black pirate flag adorned with a dragon's skull and crossbones and say he either occasionally operates as a pirate or stole it from a pirate. Not decided yet.


I like this idea a lot. Pirates have a special place in my heart.

Ikoma wrote:I'm gonna go with the Halfling as a Doctor but run him more as a snake oil salesman / conman kind of thing. I like the idea of him having a rabbit's foot and being deeply superstitious.


So is he a traveling salesman? If so is he just passing through or is this his home he always comes back to to resupply? If not what keeps him from getting lynch mobbed? Are his cold tonics just that good?

Ikoma wrote:I think the Elf would make a good Shaman. I'll give her the candle that can't be lit. Don't know what to make of it yet but I'm sure it'll be fun once we figure out a way to move forward.


Is she more about ancestor worship or animal spirits? Is she a healer as well and would she be at odds with your Doctor?
Check out my wife's book

User avatar
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron
Posts: 13658
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT
Contact:

Re: 0-level D&D esque game interest check

Postby Ikoma » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:40 pm

Fallout_Monkey wrote:
Ikoma wrote:I feel like I have to use Stone Mason as Dwarf #2. I'm going to go against type here a little and give him the blank book whose pages refuse to hold ink, chalk, graphite, or any other substance or marking. It's a token of lost love.


When you say lost love what are you thinking? Dead, missing, moved away, moved on and married another?


No thoughts when I typed it up. I like the idea of missing, presumed dead.

Fallout_Monkey wrote:
Ikoma wrote:I like Dwarf #1 as a Ferryman / Riverboat operator. We'll give him the black pirate flag adorned with a dragon's skull and crossbones and say he either occasionally operates as a pirate or stole it from a pirate. Not decided yet.


I like this idea a lot. Pirates have a special place in my heart.


:D

Fallout_Monkey wrote:
Ikoma wrote:I'm gonna go with the Halfling as a Doctor but run him more as a snake oil salesman / conman kind of thing. I like the idea of him having a rabbit's foot and being deeply superstitious.


So is he a traveling salesman? If so is he just passing through or is this his home he always comes back to to resupply? If not what keeps him from getting lynch mobbed? Are his cold tonics just that good?


I think it all works better if this is his home base and he doesn't sell here. As far as why he isn't lynched, he's probably a Sorcerer/Bard multiclass who uses magic to swindle peasants in nearby villages and hamlets.

Fallout_Monkey wrote:
Ikoma wrote:I think the Elf would make a good Shaman. I'll give her the candle that can't be lit. Don't know what to make of it yet but I'm sure it'll be fun once we figure out a way to move forward.


Is she more about ancestor worship or animal spirits? Is she a healer as well and would she be at odds with your Doctor?


I would go animal spirits. In D&D terms, she shifts shapes to compensate for her horrible strength stat.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Return to “Play By Post”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests