Sour Apple (Dresden RPG, Game Thread)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Sour Apple (Dresden RPG, Game Thread)

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 pm

The damp stone tunnel seems to stretch on for miles, lit only by the dim torch held aloft by the brave adventurer. The adventurer is also holding an Elvish sword in his other hand, though the man has a habit of defeating his foes with clever tricks rather than through combat, but one can never be too careful. Suddenly, a gust of wind comes rushing from behind him, snuffing out the torch and leaving the man in total darkness.

"YOU HAVE BEEN EATEN BY A GRUE"

Adam shrugs at the two tone green and black monitor. He knows now that the real world holds much greater wonders then anything he could find in some computer game. Besides, the library needs to upgrade to Windows 3.1 anyway, they need to get with the times.

Adam was a fairly fit man, lightweight but definitely has some muscle on him. He's dressed in a grunge outfit, and sits at the public computer in Queens Library at Court Square. Which, unbeknownst to most residents, happens to house the cities largest public collection of books on the paranormal. Well, public to those who know how to open the false wall that conceals it.

Adam makes his way down to the paranormal section, hidden away in the basement on the far end of the library from the computers. He spots Tessa, next to a cart full of books to be re-shelved. She picks up a book and glances at it's title, then lets it go and it just seems to float to it's location on the shelf.

Tessa is mixed race with lighter olive skin, heavy freckles, and curly red hair that she usually wears up in a pony tail. Her eyes are green. She's short with an average body type and prefers clothes that are semi stylish but comfortable.

Without even a greeting Adam immediately launches into questions. "Hey, so are there dwarves? Like in Lord of the Rings? Do they fight with elves a lot? I mean... there are elves right?"

Tessa glances up from her work annoyed. "Great, just what I wanted for the last half hour of my shift, distractions. Look, you want answers, help re-shelve these." She gestures to a small stack of what looks to be the thickest and heaviest books on the cart.

Not long after the two start to make a dent in the pile of books, they hear the chime that means someone has opened the fall wall to the paranormal section. The pair looks around to see a woman sheepishly poking her head into the doorway. She looks to be in her late 30's or early 40's, dressed very warmly to combat the early February chill outside. She seems very nervous and out of place.

"Uh... hi", she speaks with a heavy southern accent. Tessa turns to her and she continues. "I was told that I might be able to find some... information here. Our building seems to be having a bit of a..." she looks down at the floor, like she doesn't believe what's she's about to say "We're having a ghost problem."
Last edited by DistinctlyBenign on Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Mariyta
'something' per Dan's request

Re: Sour Apple (Dresden RPG, Game Thread)

Postby Mariyta » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:17 pm

"A ghost?" Tessa asks. "Can you be more specific? What kind of ghost? What does it look like? What is it doing?" As she talks, she scrolls through her mental card catalog, searching for any and all books about ghosts that might be of relevance.
All's fair in love and the apocalypse.

Flession
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby Flession » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:35 pm

"Are there more than one type of ghosts?" He looks at Tessa, curious as to the implications. "I mean, beyond the Ghostbusters films with Slimer and everything...I guess there were a lot of varieties." He says it very casually, not really considering the sensitivity of the situation.

Hmm...would a Proton Pack be even possible or would that have to involve magic?
So Many Idiots, So Little Ammo...

ImageImage

Mariyta

Postby Mariyta » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:56 pm

Tessa glances at Adam with a slightly annoyed look. "Of course there is more than one type of ghost. There's more than one type of person, isn't there? More than one type of creature? More than one type of, well, anything. You expect all of the diversity in the world to manifest as just one type of being after death?" She rolls her eyes, but secretly she's in her element. She loves being able to share her wealth of knowledge, even the most mundane of it.

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Made the post then realized I completely missed Mariyta's first reply. Whoops.

She hesitates to respond at the bickering between the two other occupants. "Well, she's been scaring the daylights out of us, is what she's been doing. Waving around a knife and rushing at us, I fell over the first time it happened. But I don't think she's actually hurt anyone yet... though I have not heard anything from the people who live in the apartments above our center. As for looks... well she looks like a thin blond lady except... kinda see through?" she lets the statement hang in the air for a moment before she seems to realize something. "Oh! I'm Candice by the way. And you are?"

Mariyta

Postby Mariyta » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:49 pm

"Nice to meet you, Candice. I'm Tessa. This is Adam." She glances at him. "He does NOT work here, so don't ask him any questions." She ponders for a moment. "So this ghost is female. Thin, blond, fond of knives. Has she said anything? What's she wearing?" Tessa narrows down the number of books in her mental catalog based on the info she already has. "Oh, and what center are you talking about? What's your building? We might need to search death records to find out who she is."

Flession
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby Flession » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:01 am

"It's a free country; she's more than welcome to ask me questions, thank you." He looks over to Tessa then the woman. "I know this is a stressful time for you, Candace..." He looks directly at her face and gives a friendly smile to try to put her at ease. "...but you have come to the right place."
Last edited by Flession on Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:00 pm

She smiles and blushes a bit at Adam's reassurances before turning back to Tessa. "I don't recall hearing her speak personally, but I'm not sure about my co-workers. What is she wearing? Well, it wasn't anything too notable. Just a sweater and jeans. Not sure why that matters... Do you mind if I take off my coat?" Candice pulls out one of the chairs seated at the nearest reading table and drapes her coat across the back of it. Beneath she is dressed very conservatively.

She starts speaking again "What else was it you asked? Oh, right, the center. Pink Rose Matchmaking Center. We do video dating. People come in and record personal ads for themselves and then other people can come in a rent those videos, to figure out who to date. It's the way of the future if you ask me, I mean can you really get to know someone based on one paragraph in a newspaper? Actually getting to see how someone looks and talks can tell you so much more about a person..." She seems to realize she's oversharing "Sorry, I tend to make the pitch a lot. Our building is just inside Brooklyn, on Commercial Street." She turns to Adam "So, if you don't work here are you looking up information too? Are you..." she whispers "a wizard?"

Flession
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby Flession » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:38 pm

He had remember hearing about those things growing up; they were pretty big when he was growing up. It still made little sense; much easier to actually meet people. But it may work for the older types who don't have much luck with it.

"Just a student of life, you could say. This whole thing holds my interest and Tessa has graciously taken me in to help me learn all about these sort of things." It really beat whatever they were teaching at NYU this semester.

ImageImage

Mariyta

Postby Mariyta » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Tessa raised an eyebrow at Adam. "It may be more interesting, but you're going to need a degree unless you plan on getting a job working for a wizard or something..." She stopped herself. That probably was Adam's plan. She shook her head. "Anyway, back to you, Candice. This book should get you started." As a book came flying toward them, she plucked it from the air. "It's a fairly rudimentary text on basic ghosts and ways to interact with them."

Return to “Play By Post”