Sour Apple (Dresden RPG, Discussion Thread)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Sour Apple (Dresden RPG, Discussion Thread)

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 am

City Sheet wrote:High Concept Sheet:

City name: NYC
Campaign Title: TBD
City Wide Themes & Threats:

Theme: Political Corruption & Labor Unions
Aspect: Obscured by bureaucracy
Faces:
Chrysanthemum - Leader of the Troll Toll Union
David Dinkins - Current Mayor
Rudy Giuliani - Campaigning for Mayor

Threat: Gang Warfare running rampant
Aspect: Violent Crime Epidemic
Faces:
Guillelmina Moreno - Red Court Reporter
Ángel Puga - Leader of a large faction of Red Court Gang members
Eun - Leader of gang of Werefoxes, the Kitsune
Yuriy Kovalenko - Head of OUPS (Office of Unexplained Paranormal Situations, part of the NYPD)

Theme: Paranormal activity seems to be on the rise
Aspect: Spiritual Turbulence
Faces:
The Planewalker - Mortal with a connection to the Nevernever
Rebecca Davner - Actress who had run in with malevolent spirits

Balance of Power:

Supernatural Status Quo:
Manhattan is controlled by the white court, save for WTC which are controlled by the Fey
Staten Island is controlled by the Summer Court
Brooklyn is controlled by the Reds
The Bronx is ran by the Winter Court
Queens isn't controlled by any one group
The abandoned subway system is inhabited by all manner of supernatural beings

Mundane status quo:
Height of the Crack-cocaine epidemic, AIDS is still fairly new and terrifying, the internet is just becoming a thing, and violent crime is everywhere.

Movers and Shakers:
In the Dark & Maintain the Status Quo: David Dinkins
In the Dark & Rock the Boat: Rudy Giuliani
In the Know & Maintain the Status Quo: Troll Toll Union, The White Court, OUPS
In the Know & Rock the Boat: Red Court Gangs, The Kitsune

Characters:

Fridrik wrote:NAME: Sir Robert de Falaise of the Knight Hospitaler
AKA: Dr. Robert Martin (Rob to his friends)

High Concept: The last of the Knight Hospitaler

Trouble: Searching for answers, Finding trouble.

Where did you come from------- Aspect: Long life leads to many favors
What shaped you------------------ Aspect: Hippocrates' Burden
What was your first Adventurer- Aspect: "I was there !" (the biography of the world seen through the eyes of the immortal)
Aspect: The Chivalric Code (Guest star in Liam the Changlings sotry)
Aspect: The Almighty is teaching me a lesson (Guest Star)

Skills: 25

3+ Weapons, Resources, Scholarship
2+ Empathy, Contacts, Lore, Athletics, Deceit
1+ Fists, Rapport, Presence, Conviction, Alertness, Endurance,

Stunts / Powers
Power: Immortal -2
Stunt: No pain, No gain -1 (One extra ,mild physical consequence)
Stunt: Doctor (Scholarship): +1 on Scholarship for any medical research and an additional +1 in ER Medicine.
Stunt: Windfall (Resources): Single Resource roll with +4 once per adventure. (costs a fate point)
Stunt: Linguist: (Scholarship): Count number of languages know as if scholarship was +4 higher. (Total of 7 + Native). Half can be dead languages.

Languages: French, English, Latin, +5 more

Mental o o o +1 mild consequence
Physical o o o
Social o o o

Fate Cost: 6/7
Fate points left: 1

Fallout_Monkey wrote:Morgan

Emissary of Power
High Concept: Tricked into being an Erote
Trouble: "It wants to be taken"
Aspects: Aphrodite's "Gift" (Cassandra's Tears), Tumblers In the Blood, Competitive Freerunner, Ladies First, Nobody else for the Job but Me

Skills:

4 Burglary
3 Deceit, Stealth
2 Alertness, Athletics, Endurance*, Investigation, Resources
1 Conviction*, Driving, Fists, Presence*, Weapons
0 Contacts, Discipline, Empathy, Guns, Intimidation, Lore, Might, Performance, Rapport, Scholarship, Survival

Stunts and Powers
Addictive Saliva [–1]
Marked by Power [–1]
Cassandra’s Tears [–0]
Incite Emotion [–1] (Desire)
Holy Touch [–1]
Righteousness [–2]

Stress:
Physical OOO
Mental OOO
Social OOO

Refresh 1

Basic Background Points:
-Morgan was a thief
-He stole something from Aphrodite in return she tricked him into becoming one of her Erotes

Where Did You Come From:
My parents are immigrants from New Zealand. My dad, a locksmith and safe expert, taught me everything about his business in the hopes that I would take it over one day.
Aspect: Tumblers in the blood

What Shaped You:
As a teen I got into fights too often. My parents wanted to find a non-violent outlet for me and signed me up for Parkour classes. I took to it like a duck to water. I still compete in Freerunning events
Aspect: Competitive Freerunner

First Adventure:
It was my first errand for Aphrodite. She wanted me to steal a box she claimed was hers that was on display at the Brooklyn Museum. During the job the box got destroyed(possibly due the actions of one of the other players) releasing some sort of glowing light into the world. The goddess was pissed and gave me the "gift" of prophetic vision's of romantic relationships of the people I meet and the "curse" of no believing me about them.
Aspect: Aphrodite's "Gift"

Johann wrote:Liam Smith

Template -- Changeling / Goblin
High Concept -- Knight of Mortality
Trouble -- Cares about mortals
Where did you come from -- Abandoned and raised in fosterage, Liam grew intolerant of bullies, both adult and child. Stronger and tougher than other children, he would often protect those too weak to protect themselves, which generally led to problems for him. As a result, he never stayed long in one family or institution.
Aspect -- Defender of the weak
Rising conflict -- As an adolescent, he was first introduced the the fey and his true parentage. He was not impressed. His father, a callous and brutal wild fey, provided him with his first impression of the supernatural.
Aspect -- ??? (Fey are jerkfaces? ;) )
First Adventure -- ???
Guest Starring -- ???
Guest Starring Redux -- ???

Weapons 4
Lore 4
Craftsmanship 3
Athletics 3
Might 2
Resources 2
Conviction 2
Contacts 1
Discipline 1
Endurance 1
Alertness 1
Empathy 1

Stunts / Powers
Ritual (Crafting) (-2)
Refinement (Extra slots) (-1)
Weapon: Wall of Death (-1)

Enchanted Items:
Hammer (Not sure what exactly goes here)
Blacksmith's Apron (Armor 2)
Steel Bracer (Earth Evocation)
Open Potion Slots

Mariyta wrote:Name: Tessa Black
Template: Minor Talent
High Concept Aspect: Telekenetic Librarian
Trouble Aspect: Aspirations outweigh abilities

Phase One Aspect: Quiet Nerd (Grew up outside NYC, loves books, discovered telekenetic ability early but kept it hid, nice middle-class family, one older brother who is the only one who knew her secret, few friends)

Phase Two Aspect: No Longer Alone (Moved to city for college, met someone who was telepathic and discovered her secret. They introduced her to the supernatural community and she began dabbling in other schools of magic, mainly glamour, but she's not very good at anything other than telekenesis, possibly due to her bad habit of questioning her own abilities)

Phase Three Aspect: Book Lover (Friend introduced her to "Special Collections" section of NYC Public Library system. She realized she has a knack for "just knowing" where a book is. Someone comes in for help while she's there and there is no assistant around. She helps them and gets caught by head librarian (who's a bit scary looking, honestly). Librarian has a chat, discovers her little knack, accepts her as an unpaid intern and after college she moves up the ladder, eventually getting to where she is now as head assistant and curator)

Aspect: Did I do that? (After meeting the pizza delivery boy and whoops, who knew weird stuff happens when you order pizza??)

Aspect: Stubborn as a mule

I don't know what to do for the other aspects yet (I think we include the other players here?) and I haven't figured out stunts and powers and whatnot.

Skills:
Great - Scholarship, Empathy
Good - Resources, Lore
Fair - Investigation, Alertness, Contacts
Average - Rapport, Presence, Discipline, Deceit, Performance

Stunts/Powers:
-2 Glamours
Listening
Capable Researcher
Best Foot Forward

Refresh 2

Flession wrote:Adam Smith

Aspects
HIGH CONCEPT
Pizza Delivery Boy
After stumbling across the Supernatural by accident, Adam seems to want to get involved, more out of boredom out of the mundane.
TROUBLE
Running in the '90s
Adam likes things fast. His car is a powerhouse and he tends to enjoy pushing its limits in city limits (when traffic allows). He has a few speeding tickets along the way, and tends to be a bit more eager to run into danger than most, relying on his boxing skill to take care of his problems.

OTHER ASPECTS
Don't Stop The Music
As a young kid, he was often considered a coward and fearful of the world. Until he signed up for boxing, he gained a newfound confidence in himself. After that, he began to take life in a new direction and started living.
West End Guy
Born and raised in the Upper End of NYC, he knows how to handle the finer points of his life. His parents being something to do busybodies, they had high hopes for him in his academic career until he took a more athletic aspect. Still, he's been plenty resourceful and knows the ropes if he has to use them.
Remember Me
How he got involved with all this involved meeting a girl outside of a old abandoned sewer. Curious, he followed her down to the an old subway station and witnessing an attempt to cross over to the Nevernever, (though he doesn't have the slightest clue as to what he witnessed). Ever since then, he continues to bug the girl to learn more about all this, promising to keep his mouth shut if she continues to sate his curiosity.
Help Me To Say Goodbye
Delivered a pizza one night to a strange drunk and after a few minutes of dealing with whatever issues he was feeling, he offered me a $50 tip for hearing him out and told me to spend it on my girlfriend since she wasn't going to be around long after that. 2 weeks later, he found her sleeping with one of his friends. He's on the long road of recovery to trust another woman again like that, but he's making his way down it nonetheless.
Back on the Rocks

Skills:
Great (+4)
Driving
Good (+3)
Fists, Investigation
Fair (+2)
Alertness, Athletics, Endurance, Resources
Average (+1)
Burglary, Contacts, Conviction, Presence, Rapport, Scholarship, Stealth

Stunts & Powers

+2 Pure Mortal
Increase your starting refresh by 2 before taking any mortal stunts.

-1 Footwork: You’re fast on your feet and have
been in enough fistfights to know how to make
yourself a hard target. You may use Fists to
dodge attacks instead of Athletics, in all the
circumstances where Athletics might apply
(page 121).

-1 Lethal Weapon
Your hands are lethal weapons. When using Fists to strike an unarmored opponent you are considered to have Weapon:2 and against opponents with Armor:1, your Fists attacks are Weapon:1. There is no benefit against more heavily armored opponents.

-1 Too Fast to Hit
When making a full defense (page 199), gain an additional +1 to the roll (for a total of +3) if you also take a supplemental action to move one zone. You do not take the usual –1 penalty for the supplemental action.

-1 Shake the Tail
When you are the one being followed in a car-chase, you have a real talent for sudden turns and daring maneuvers to shake off your pursuers. Gain a +2 to Driving in such a case.

-1 Tough Stuff
The stuff of blunt trauma—fists, sticks, and stones—pose little trouble for you. Against such things, you have a natural Armor:1 (which stacks with other forms of protection). This does not apply to things like blades, bullets, and burns, but it makes you a beast in a burly brawl.

-1 Quick Eye
When examining a location for clues, your eye is quick to pick out the visual details. Your first Investigation roll to determine deeper details about a scene is two time increments (page 315) faster than usual.

Stress:
Physical OOOO
Mental OOO
Social OOO

Refresh 3

PLAYERS

Fridrik
  • NYPD detective with anger issues infected by the red court
  • OR
  • Low powered immortal that likes to trade favors

Fallout_Monkey
  • Emissary of Power for Aphrodite
  • Tricked or cursed into that position
  • Prophetic visions for relationships, but no one believes them (Cassandra's Tears)

Johann
  • Mortal smith/artificer mechanic

Mariyta
  • Somewhat inept small time wizard, who tries their best
  • Librarian to the NYC public library's occult section

Flession
  • TBD

SETTING

CITY: New York
TIME: February, 1993
PLACES:

Palace Theater
  • Haunted by several ghosts
  • Many Benevolent spirits including Judy Garland
  • At least one malignant spirit, Louis Borsalino, an acrobat that fell to his death on stage

World Trade Center twin towers
  • 13th floor of each tower houses the city offices of one of the Fey courts
  • North tower houses the Winter Court, South tower has the Summer court.

Dana's Deli
  • Accord Neutral Grounds

Hart Island
  • Former prison, mass grave, workhouse, and missile silo
  • Strong connections to the Nevernever

Rikers Island
  • NYC's largest prison
  • Home of some powerful members of the White Court

Statue of Liberty
  • ???

THREATS:

WTC Bombing
  • Large explosion in the underground garage of the North Tower.
  • Targeted attack on the Winter Court?
  • Caused by the Winter Court?
  • Entirely mundane?

Palace Theater Ghosts:
  • People who see the spirit of Louis Borsalino are seemingly cursed to die within a years time.

Red Court Street Gangs:
  • New Gang replacing the 'Old Guard' of the white court(?)
  • Heavily integrated with the Bloods.

OTHER INFO:

Toll Trolls
  • Trolls and Troll blood Changelings have a union controlling the various toll booths on the bridges in the city.
  • The changlings handle much of the dealings with mundane humans, while full blood trolls tend to the supernatural side of things

The Kitsune
  • Gang of were-foxes
  • Mostly benign, play pranks on mortals

Boroughs
  • Each controlled by a different supernatural faction
  • White Court controls Manhattan (Sans Harlem (TBD what supernatural folks lurk there) and the WTC (controlled by Fey courts))
  • Red Court controls Brooklyn
  • Summer Court has Staten Island
  • The Bronx belongs to the Winter Court
  • Queens isn't controlled by any one faction, as it is the largest area. Base of operations for the PCs?
  • Abandoned Subway system inhabited by many unaffiliated creatures, some Black Court vamps, and gates to the Nevernever

NPCs:

Rebecca Davner
Mortal human, actress
Lead actress in the play currently in the palace theater. Until a month ago she was well liked, friendly to all of the other cast and crew butt willing to stand up to her hard ass director. However she recently saw the malevolent spirit that haunts the theater and is convinced she will die within a year. This has lead her to be short tempered and withdrawn, and she's on the verge of getting fired. Knows nothing of supernatural world outside of ghosts.

Chrysanthemum
Winter court troll, head of the troll toll union
Cryssy to his friends, but don't presume you're counted among his friends if you want to keep all of your limbs. A bit smarter and more well spoken than many trolls, he'll probably stop to think about how best to dismember a person before charging in. Has regular audience with Maeve about the things discussed in union meetings.

Eun
Leader of the Kitsune
???

Guillelmina Moreno
Red Court Vampire, ABC 7 News Correspondent
Guillelmina, or Mina as she is more commonly known, is one of the most prominent 'on the scene' reporters in the city. She's very charming, very popular especially with the Hispanic community... and oh yeah, she happens to be a Red Court Vamp. Her primary goal is to cover up any weird details in the stories she reports on that may clue in the mortal population to the existence of the supernatural community, and of course spin any story so that other prominent members of the Red Court are viewed favorably by the public.

The Planewalker
Mortal with the power to open the way to the Nevernever
With a powerful connection to the Nevernever a few hundred feet away from the streets of The Big Apple, there remains many a problem for those who live there to keep the peace. Thus did a man known as the Planewalker find his way down into the underground. No one knows much about his past, other that he is a human who can open and close the Nevernever as a natural talent. In addition, he has a simple, but powerful ability to create ritual wards allows him prevent some the worse creatures of the plane from entering his home, though it cannot stop all things from coming and going. In addition, he can be hired to help open gates for those brave (or foolish) enough to enter that cannot thru their own power, as well as offer himself as a guide in need of it.

Original Post wrote:So it's been over a month since the shadowrun pbp got any posts, but I'm still in the mood for some urban fantasy role-playing. Would anyone be interested in a Dresden files game? I'd like between 3 and 5 players.

Not familiar with Dresden files? That's fine. It's a modern day urban fantasy setting with a masquerade, so there's a totally legit in universe reason for a character to have no idea what's going on.

Don't have the Dresden Files books? That's okay too, it's basically just Fate Core with some added crunch. Might take a bit if everyone needs rules help but i think i should be able to help people along. We might just drop the official Dresden system and use fate core itself if enough people don't have the books.

I'm thinking NYC for the setting. Probably more investigative than combat heavy, since combat can take forever in a pbp. I'd like 1 post a week from everyone, keep things rolling but still manageable.

Also in thinking right after changes for the timeframe? Can be changed if people want a different period, but I think that's an interesting one, since there's a lot of fallout to deal with.

Any takers?
Last edited by DistinctlyBenign on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 12 times in total.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: Dresden Files Interest Check

Postby Fridrik » Sun May 06, 2018 12:18 pm

Interested. Big Dresden files fan and have the system. But not used to Play by post.

Any good place to find the 101 on play by posts, so I can know what I'm getting into ?

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sun May 06, 2018 4:28 pm

So idk about every play by post, every gm will probably be a bit different, but what I expect:

Two threads, an in character and an out of character. The in character thread should more or less read like a story, make your posts kind of from the perspective of your character and describe what's going on. The out of character thread is everything else, reporting die rolls, asking the gm for stuff your character might know, discussing the game with other players, everything. The 'at least one post a week ' requirement mainly refers to the in character thread, but it's acceptable to sound off in the ooc thread that you're here and trading everything but don't really have anything for your character to add atm.

As for dice rolls, we'll probably use something like Orokos for the actual rolling. That way we can easily see the other players rolls. I'd still like them reported in the ooc thread.

One of the main drawbacks of play by post is the extremely slow speed, since people are essentially taking one action a week. so some quality of life stuff to keep things rolling:

If you're rolling for something that will have a fairly obvious outcome based on your roll feel free to 'be your own gm' on that and post in ic right after your ooc post so we're not constantly waiting on me. Like if you're rolling to climb over a fence but roll three -'s, you don't need me to tell you that you fall on your back and get the wind knocked out of you.

Combat. I'll probably post the defensive stats of anything you guys end up fighting in the ooc thread, so you guys can know if your attacks hit or whatever and post in the in character thread right away. Try not to metagame too much with that info.

'Back and forth' conversations. It would take a long time for you to question someone asking one question at a time and waiting on me, so if you want to have a bit of a dialogue with an npc: a) if it's inconsequential character building stuff just voice them yourself in your post, or b) if you need to gather info post a list of questions in the ooc thread and I'll provide you with their responses and then you can make a post.

Also, forum pms are acceptable for note passing or asking stuff the other players may not know.

That should cover the basics, maybe poke around in some other threads to see examples.

Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fridrik » Mon May 07, 2018 3:04 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:So idk about every play by post, every gm will probably be a bit different, but what I expect:

Two threads, an in character and an out of character. The in character thread should more or less read like a story, make your posts kind of from the perspective of your character and describe what's going on. The out of character thread is everything else, reporting die rolls, asking the gm for stuff your character might know, discussing the game with other players, everything. The 'at least one post a week ' requirement mainly refers to the in character thread, but it's acceptable to sound off in the ooc thread that you're here and trading everything but don't really have anything for your character to add atm.

As for dice rolls, we'll probably use something like Orokos for the actual rolling. That way we can easily see the other players rolls. I'd still like them reported in the ooc thread.

One of the main drawbacks of play by post is the extremely slow speed, since people are essentially taking one action a week. so some quality of life stuff to keep things rolling:

If you're rolling for something that will have a fairly obvious outcome based on your roll feel free to 'be your own gm' on that and post in ic right after your ooc post so we're not constantly waiting on me. Like if you're rolling to climb over a fence but roll three -'s, you don't need me to tell you that you fall on your back and get the wind knocked out of you.

Combat. I'll probably post the defensive stats of anything you guys end up fighting in the ooc thread, so you guys can know if your attacks hit or whatever and post in the in character thread right away. Try not to metagame too much with that info.

'Back and forth' conversations. It would take a long time for you to question someone asking one question at a time and waiting on me, so if you want to have a bit of a dialogue with an npc: a) if it's inconsequential character building stuff just voice them yourself in your post, or b) if you need to gather info post a list of questions in the ooc thread and I'll provide you with their responses and then you can make a post.

Also, forum pms are acceptable for note passing or asking stuff the other players may not know.

That should cover the basics, maybe poke around in some other threads to see examples.

Thank you
Sounds great.

Now we just need more players.

To get people interested. What are your ideas for a setting ? Modern day ? or different times. US, outside the US ?

I ran a London based game at one point, that only went a few sessions. One of the things we did to make things easier was to run it in the 90s so that we could ignore the problems with CCTVs and cell-phones.

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Mon May 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Fridrik wrote:To get people interested. What are your ideas for a setting ? Modern day ? or different times. US, outside the US ?

Unmarked spoilers for the Dresden Files books up through changes (for anyone else reading this)

I was thinking New York city for location. Lots of people, pretty tightly packed, probably lots of room for a magical community. Plus I've been there so I won't be completely lost trying to describe it. :oops:

As for the time period... I was thinking like 3 weeks after the events of changes. So roughly 2010ish. I like that because the mortal world will be in a panic trying to figure out what kind of virus or bioweapon could kill thousands (millions? ) of people across the globe at the same instant. Meanwhile the magical community is scrambling to grab any positions of power the reds had.

But I also like your suggestion of the past. Maybe like the 80s, Harry's trial still fresh in the minds of anyone with connections to the white council?

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Fri May 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Count me as interested. I've only read the first two Dresden books and should probably re-read them at some point. I'm one of the few people who enjoyed the tv show. Are we going to go through the city creation rules? Because they interested me but could never get my head wrapped around them by just reading them.
Check out my wife's book

Johann
Host

Postby Johann » Fri May 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Interested.

Fully familiar with setting, not at all familiar with rules.

Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fridrik » Fri May 11, 2018 3:18 pm

Johann wrote:Interested.

Fully familiar with setting, not at all familiar with rules.

Its FATE. If you aren’t familiar with that then the elevator pitch is “in stead of trying to model reality it tries to model how fiction is structured”

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Fri May 11, 2018 3:45 pm

Sweet, enough players, I think I've roped my cousin into playing too. She has a forum account from back when we had a blood bowl league...

I figure we'll give it a week or so to see if we get a fifth then start hashing out characters and stuff. Were you guys more interested in just after changes for setting time period, or before the first book?

Fallout_Monkey wrote:I'm one of the few people who enjoyed the tv show.

I've never watched it. I've heard bad things, but I've also only heard things from people super into the books so it may be a case of 'they changed it, now it sucks '.

Fallout_Monkey wrote:Are we going to go through the city creation rules? Because they interested me but could never get my head wrapped around them by just reading them.

Umm... let me review those this weekend and I'll get back to you. :oops:

Mariyta
'something' per Dan's request

Postby Mariyta » Fri May 11, 2018 4:00 pm

Yeah, I'm in.
All's fair in love and the apocalypse.

Return to “Play By Post”