Hack U (Shadowrun PbP) IC

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Hack U (Shadowrun PbP) IC

Postby Magmoo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:37 pm

A year after the treaty of Denver (2018) a group of civic minded CAS investors gained permission to found South Denver University. Housed in the former Douglas county High School and the Castle Rock Community Recreation center, SDU showed a lot of promise but struggled from the fact that it was not a Corp and CAS could not afford, either financially or politically, to offer any more support. Enter Mitzi "Hacktopuss" Grimaldi.

A renowned and wealthy technologist, Mitzi offered to step in and fund not just the shortfalls but even expand the facilities. Despite her colorful nature, complete with rumors of being a former runner, her offer was too good to pass up. So the SDU Flying Tigers had a new President and she wasted no time in bringing in a colorful caste of new department heads. Characters that only reinforced the rumors about Mitzi's past. Colorful or not there was no denying their expertise. They rapidly rebranded the university as a place for talented misfits. They even managed to establish a unique working relationship with the various corps. Any off the books project or pet experiments that ambitious managers want run, but can't justify to the corp, they bring to SDU. It's also become a great place to recruit for unconventional talent that in the word of one corporate exec, "really shakes things up and can de-stagnate your brain pool."

It took the local community a while to embrace the SDU what with their casual attitudes towards other peoples' property and safety. However the various student escapades have periodically proven a boon and more than a few locals have come to appreciate the combination of youthful exuberance and the proverbial poke in the eye to other institutions and corps in the district and beyond. This is predicated on the students and faculty not leaving bodies laying about and that they make it back to the campus on their own. That's the secret of SDU's survival. For all the trouble they cause, their efforts produce more advances, profits, and social good for those around them than the harm their mayhem leaves behind.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Flession
Pat's Knob Polisher

Re: Hack U (Shadowrun PbP) IC

Postby Flession » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:50 am

There wasn't much to do for Kurt today. It was a easy gig, for what it was. Dr. Gaspar was a easy gig to have. All he had to do was just babysit, talk to people to make sure they get what they need, and coordinate everything that the good doctor didn't want to worry about. Like being a secretary with a administrative tag next to his name. It kept the debt collectors at bay, though, so any pride loss over it could be swallowed.

He made his usual rounds around the Biology Department to make sure everyone was doing what was expected. Not that he could actually tell what the fresh hell they were doing with all their science stuff. The thing is, he never had to know; people always have tells. You just look at someone with the air of authority and often let you know when they're not doing what they are supposed to do. Scientists, for the most part, weren't the best at bluffing.

For that alone made his skills invaluable. Whether or not they knew he knew nothing was still in question.

A notification occurs on his comm; sudden change of plans for a meeting. Nothing on the docket previously, of course, so something was up. Barely enough time to head to the cafeteria and grab some lunch after his morning meetings, followed by a afternoon of listening to teachers and students complain about whatever else they can think of. No information, though, so it had to be something he didn't want a email trail.

Best to head there early and get the details before the others arrive so I can back him up.
So Many Idiots, So Little Ammo...

ImageImage

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:34 am

"Yo Darius, you listening?" Chaz said.

Lunch was almost over, Darius had met Chaz and Terry in the cafeteria. The two trolls had been talking about the upcoming game with the Laramie Cowboys while Darius worked on a research paper.

"Sorry, what did you guys say?" Darius looked up at the two offensive guards.

"I asked if you were coming to practice tonight."

"I was planning on it." Darius said.

"No, Biomagical extra curriculars?" Terry asked.

"No, Why?"

"Coach has been getting grouchy about his star receiver missing so many practices," Chaz replied.

"It's been like three."

"In a row." Terry said.

"Coach hasn't mentioned anything to me." Just then Darius' commlink buzzed. "Frag, speak of the devil. Looks like Coach wants to see me at 2 o'clock. Listen I gotta get to my next class. See you guys at practice."

"Sure, Sure" Chaz said.

As Darius left the cafeteria his commlink buzzed again. "Coach is not going to be happy about that." The appointment with the coach had been bumped to the next available slot and a meeting with Dr. Izek Gaspar had taken it's place. Darius thought this was odd, the last few jobs he did for the Biomagical Research Department had never been given to him from a senior faculty member.

Darius arrives a few minutes early to the meeting.
Last edited by Fallout_Monkey on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my wife's book

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:29 pm

Kaitlynn was hiding out in the ladies room outside of the robotics lab. Well, Kaitlynn's body was hiding out, her mind was inside of Oculus, one of her two Fly-Spies currently plotting a course to get Kaitlynn back to her dorm room while avoiding Marcy Breck and her trio of elvish cheerleaders whose favorite pass-time is 'verbally abuse the troll girl'. It's not that Kaitlynn couldn't handle the abuse - she'd been called worse than the insults then the four of them could muster - it's just that that drek gets old fast when it's a daily occurrence.

A notification popped up in the corner of her hud - a meeting request for an extracurricular activity. Her hopes got high for a second until she noticed the department - Biology. So, once again Kaitlynn was not wanted for her mind so much as the fact that having a driver who can also lift nearly a ton of lab equipment is a great way to kill two birds with one stone. Still, Biology means that she'll probably get to hang out with Darius at least, so not as much of a buzzkill as the requests she gets from the Chemistry department who act like she has the IQ of a walnut. Kaitlynn sets both her Fly-Spies to autopilot a course back to her and returns to her body.

Upon leaving the only disabled stall, Kaitlynn sees Amy is waiting in her wheelchair. Amy glances up at Kaitlynn and at her Control Console and mutters "Typical" just loud enough for Kaitlynn to hear before wheeling past her into the stall. Kaitlynn feels embarrassed about having made her wait, but it's not like a troll girl can fit in the regular stalls, and there isn't a large enough female troll population on campus for the school to remodel the bathrooms to accommodate them. So, when it comes to bathrooms at least, being a female troll is the same as having a physical disability. Kaitlynn felt like there's probably a really good metaphor in there for how society treats troll women. Probably. She's a robotics major, not a sociology major.

She washes her hands and heads over to the meeting, arriving exactly on time.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Johann
Host

Postby Johann » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Carlos bends to the floor of the isolation lab, painstakingly inscribing sigils between the concentric circles marked on the floor. The lab is, to most eyes, a strange blend of bleeding edge tech and bizarre arcana. The center of the room is dominated by a pedestal, with an armor-glass cube resting on the top. Empty to the naked eye, the cube is actually teeming with microbial life: the target of the upcoming ritual.

He's been working in this drekking room for nearly eight hours now to prepare the space. The isolation lab is never a pleasant working environment. Completely sealed off from outside interference when in use, even outside power is disconnected, leaving the air recirculators, microscopes, and computers running from internal battery. A faraday cage blocks out any outside electronics, multiple sealed airlocks keep the room physically separated from the world, and once this fragging circle is complete, the astral will be sealed as well.

In his head, he hears a high pitched voice "Master! Master!"

Looking into astral space behind him, he sees an amorphous blob of energy, the only defining feature a pair of oversized eyes. "Frag off Winston," he tell the watcher spirit. "I'm busy."

"But... maaaaasterrrr..."

"I said go away, Winston, it can wait."

Carlos watches the blob bounce its way back out through the wall of the lab and out of sight. He had just knelt back onto the floor to continue his work, when again he heard the voice of the obnoxious little spirit. "Maaaaster!"

Very slowly, very deliberately, Carlos stands and turns to face the spirit, his face a mask of irritated rage. "Winston," he growls, "I'm all but certain I told you not to disturb me. Before I tear you to pieces, why don't you tell me what is so fragging important."

The ball of energy begins trembling violently "D..D...Doctor Englewood said I was to tell you that you are late for your meeting," the spirit bleats.

"That's very strange, Winston," his voice icy steel, "because I don't have any meetings today."

Winston begins trembling even more fiercly. "B...b...but D...D...Doctor Englewood said I was to tell you that you are late for your meeting."

Carlos sighs, wiping his eyes with his hands. There's no helping it. Winston certainly wouldn't be making this up, and Katherine knows how delicate this work is. She wouldn't be ruining an entire day's work for no reason.

"Alright, then, Winston. I suppose you get to live to see another day." Carlos opens the airlock and steps into the decontamination chamber.

After the completion of the decon process, he opens the sealed locker to retreive his gear. His commlink is beeping furiously at him. Someone scheduled him for a fragging meeting while he was in isolation. Just fragging wonderful. He storms out of the decon chamber. Someone is going to fragging pay for this.

After a brief exchange with Doctor Engelwood, Carlos storms down the hall to Gaspar's office. He is several minutes late.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:47 pm

Kurt arrived at the door to Dr. Gaspar's office 15 minutes prior to the meeting time with his digital ID set to public. The lock clicked open and a affable voice said "Come in."

As Kurt entered he immediately felt the change in temperature and humidity. Dr. Gaspar's office was moderately sized and well lit from the large bay window, a custom addition he had paid for. What made his office truly unique is that practically every unoccupied surface, aside from a couple of chairs and a small space on his desk, housed a wide variety of plants. Ivies, ferns, flowers, unique grasses, practically every variety of small growth plant was represented. It had even been something of a hazing ritual to send greenies with allergies to drop stuff off in his office during prime blooming cycles.

Dr. Gaspar is a lean and sun wizened little dwarf whose appearance contributes to discussions of there possibly being an awakened offshoot category of dwarf, that should be called gnome. An absolute savant on plant life, his work on applied biomancy is considered to be top tier. More than a few corporate head hunters are trying to unravel the mystery of just what brought the Professor to SDU and more importantly, why can't they get him to leave.

"Kurt, excellent. Is it time already? No, you're early. Hah I should have expected. Let me introduce you to this shell of a once promising researcher." Dr. Gaspar said in his good natured, rapid fire way. Dr. Gaspar indicated the middle aged human standing next to him. The man wore a well designed suit for the fashion of the past few years and a pair of well made, if a tad scuffed, leather shoes. His face bore the neutral passivity one comes to associate with mid level corporate types in unfamiliar settings.

"This is Henry Kingfisher of Aleph Consolidated. He has a rather interesting project proposal I intend to take on with some help from you and the others."

"Others" Kurt asked.

"Kaitlynn Mastersson, Carlos Garcia, and Darius Templar"

Almost unconsciously Kurt pulls up University profile sheets on all of them.

"We're meeting here Professor?" Kurt asked unsuccessfully trying to conceal his incredulity.

"Of course" came the dwarfs chipper reply.

"A moment please" was Kurt's response. Rapidly he worked away on his PDA. "Professor, there's a small conference room one floor up, room 2314. It is unbooked and I believe it would better serve our needs."

"Why is that?" the Professor asked in confusion.

"I believe you'll understand shortly" Kurt said with a smirk that was felt rather than seen.

As if on cue, a solid series of raps emanated from the door.

"It's open" no sooner left the mouth of the dwarf when the door swung open to incompletely reveal Kaitlynn and Darius.

"Ahh I see what you mean. I hadn't considered that. Kurt if you would," he said as headed for the door. "Thank you for coming. We're actually going to relocate upstairs." Dr. Gaspar stepped out into the hall followed by Henry and Kurt. "I don't see Carlos" he said sourly.

Everyone else looked around and gave their version of a shrug.

Dr. Gaspar gave a half smile and tapped a series of commands into the door. "He'll just have to join us when he can."

Kurt was about to offer to send a quick message on the change of venue to Carlos when the Doctor winked at him.

"Already taken care of Kurt come along."

Everyone follows the dwarf as he heads off towards the conference room to lay out the the project and their roles within it.
Last edited by Magmoo on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Flession
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby Flession » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:39 am

Hopefully the good doctor had learnt his lesson about informing him of these sort of meetings with more advanced notice. Not everyone was as...compact as the professor. Elves, tall enough as they were, at least mostly took up space vertically. Hopefully whatever this thing was about did not involve having to be in a compact car with the two of them.

It wasn't too far off from his office to the meeting space, thankfully, and enough to look over the potential benefactor. Not much to read off of the face for now, but that would all change soon enough once he decided to start talking. The others, though, did not seem the type to keep their emotions close to their chest. Troll and Ork stereotypes aside, most scientific minds he had dealt with tended to focus less on the social niceties.

As they entered the room, he took a seat near the professor and their new associate, eagerly awaiting more details on what was to come.
So Many Idiots, So Little Ammo...

ImageImage

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Kaitlynn came walking down the hallway towards the meeting room and saw Darius standing by the door. Good, at least I have someone to talk to. She gave him a little wave as he knocked. A voice from within instructed them that the door was unlocked and it opened to reveal a room completely covered in plants... Darius probably could have squeezed in, if a bit uncomfortably, but there was no way Kaitlynn was fitting in that room, at least without inadvertently trampling half a dozen ferns and flowers. She was about to raise an objection but the dwarf in the room seemed to have realized the problem was well and relocated them all upstairs.

While relocating upstairs Kaitlynn got a good look at the group, a human, a dwarf, and an elf. With Darius and herself in the mix it seemed like they were practically a poster for metahuman diversity. Was this just a dumb PR photo-op for ads for the school? Glancing at the others again - no, she didn't think so. She had seen the dwarf and the elf around campus before, but she didn't recognize the human, and he had an air of business about him. Maybe corporate? She'd only really had dealings with corps once before, not a lot to go on.

She also noted that the elf almost seemed to ooze charm. Actually, maybe he literally does ooze charm? She had heard Hardwire mention something about people being implanted with pheromones. Bioware wasn't really her thing, she was much more interested in actual chrome when it came to implants.

The dwarf seemed tiny, even smaller than Hardwire. She thought he was a biology professor or something? The room with the plants was his office, and it certainly gave off the same air that some of her robotics professor's offices did - being completely covered in spare parts and half assembled drones. But, she noted that he didn't seem to have realized she was a troll when he requested her and he also didn't react particularly negatively to finding out that she way. Maybe things were looking up that she was wanted as more than 'heavy lifter' here? She didn't get her hopes up.

They arrived at the conference room, and Kaitlynn took a seat next to Darius.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Johann
Host

Postby Johann » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:49 pm

Carlos had reached the Biomag class and office building. The elevator doors had just closed behind him when his comm bipped again.

Stopping to pull it out of his pocket, he saw that the meeting had been moved.

"Gods and garters," he muttered to himself, "it's like they're going out of their way to waste my time."

Growing more irritated by the step, he turned around and headed for the stairs.

Reaching the conference room a couple minutes later, he flings open the door and strides into the room, glaring at all present.

Johann
Host

Postby Johann » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Looking around the room, Carlos takes an inventory.

Kurt: The official admin toady and bootlicker. Always a fantastic addition to every meeting. For an instant, he locks eyes with Carlos. Kurt almost infintessimally raises an eyebrow, as if to say "yeah, I read you. Shut up and sit down." The corner of Kurt's mouth twitches slightly upward in carefully supressed mirth.

Kaitlynn: Carlos never understood why they would let trogs into an institution of learning. They just aren't built for it. His eyes narrow as they pass by Kaitlynn. She slightly averts her eyes, looking down to the floor. At least this one knows her place.

Darius: He's seen Darius around campus a few times. Some sort of sport player. He understands the need for sports at a modern University. After all, they bring in income. That's no reason to treat them like students, of course, and he wonders what Darius would be doing in the same meeting as him. Darius, for his part, locks onto his gaze and gives Carlos a drek-eating, devil-may-care grin. I just hope I don't have to depend on him for anythign important.

Dr. Gaspar: Of course, Carlos and Dr. Gaspar had met multiple times. In fact, Carlos had brought some theories about plant gengineering to him during his undergrad years. Gaspar had never been enthusiastic about his research, and he had moved on to more supportive faculty. He wondered why Gaspar would be calling him into a meeting when they had barely spoken for years. Gaspar's face was unreadable, as ever.

The Human: Carlos hates normies. They're always so superior and holier-than-thou, while at the same time being an evolutionary dead end that just hasn't noticed yet. This one looks like all the others. Standard corp model. Same expensive but still not quite fitting suit. Same fake friendly smile. He certainly doesn't look like faculty or another student, so he must be the source of the meeting, whatever he is.

Return to “Play By Post”