Shadowrun PbP setup discussion.

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Re: Shadowrun PbP setup discussion.

Postby Magmoo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:37 am

A better way to think of it is "What do my stats justify" if you're not spending our abstraction of resources. You could list a drone with a heavy machine gun but because you got it as part of your stunt you don't get the machine gun +2 (or did I say +1)to damage because the checks rely on your stats and not the equipment stats. So having that "more expensive drone" only matters for RP and narrative purposes.

edit: One cool thing about fate is that you can come up with interesting narrative justifications for why the numbers come out how they do. Say you have a heavily armored top of the line combat drone but your robotics stats is low. The reason you're not getting the full advantage of the top of the line equipment is that your relative lack skill/experience has the drone operating less than optimally. Just like a highly skilled Rigger could conceivably operate a drone beyond its spec range.

The one really tricky point in my mind of swapping Fate for SR is that Fate really doesn't care about money except in the abstract. SR, on the other hand, can sometimes be all about shopping.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Alright, makes sense.

I think I have my backstory and character sheet all figured out, barring the system changing or there being a problem with anything I've written. I just need to find the time to sit down and type it out.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Flession
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby Flession » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:08 pm

So here's what I got so far for it.

I decided to go with a Face since we have a lot of points already touched, including combat if it boils down to it.
So Many Idiots, So Little Ammo...

ImageImage

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:07 pm

Alright, this should be my finalized sheet/backstory barring changes to the system or any objections people have:

NAME:
Kaitlynn Mastersson

REFRESH:

HIGH CONCEPT:
Troll Robotics Engineering Undergrad

TROUBLE:
"Trolls aren't smart enough for Academics."

ASPECTS:
"I'm better at talking to machines than to people"

"Grew up a SINless Orphan"

SKILLS:
Robotics - 5
Notice - 4
Physique - 3
Academics - 3
Will - 3
Computers - 3
Investigate - 2
Drive - 2
Knowledge - 2
Shoot - 2
Contacts - 2
Fight - 1
Resources - 1

(All four free build points used for skills)

STUNTS:
Rigger - 2
Rigger: Flying
Rigger: Stealth
Rigger: Drive
Rigger: Shoot

(-1 Refresh for +2 build points that went into stunts)

GEAR:
Stun Gun
(If she can build a micro drone out of parts from a scrap heap I'm assuming she can rig a capacitor to discharge and make herself a stun gun for self defense)
Robotics Toolkit
Lab Coat
Commlink
Control Rig Implant - Rating 2
2 - Fly Spys
(Oculus and Auris)
Lockheed Optic-X2
(Guiding Angel)
2 - MCT-Nissan Roto-Drone
(Officially MSU-CD-0014 and MSU-CD-0017. Nicknames 'Spray' and 'Pray')
Caravaner van
(Blue as a sarcastic nickname - it was blue and red with the school logo at one point but it keeps getting repaired with parts from different colored vans (Yes, I stole this from the Dresden Files, but I like it))

CONTACTS:
Kathrynn Mastersson
Sister. Lone Star Enforcer.

Gerry 'Hardwire' Blackstone
Mentor and former boss. Dwarven drone shop owner.

BACKSTORY:

Life is tough in the Aurora Warrens, but tougher when your parents die in a mugging-turned-murder when you're only 7. This was the fate of Kaitlynn and Kathrynn Mastersson, identical twin troll girls, SINless and now homeless. Forced to scavenge and compete with other SINless orphans, their luck changed when they happened upon a broken Lockheed Optic-X2 in an alley. Kathrynn wanted to sell it for scrap, but Kaitlynn saw an opportunity, she knew there was a drone store nearby that often threw out older spare parts...

Naming the drone 'Guiding Angel' Kaitlynn became proficient in piloting it with their old patched up commlink. Kathrynn became very proficient at crashing the drone into trees... but that just gave Kaitlynn more practice patching it up. With Kaitlynn at the helm they spot the best spots to scavenge for scrap and massively increased the amount the girls were able to sell, easing their burdens.

Eventually, the two were caught while scrounging for parts behind a small drone shop - but instead of pressing charges the Dwarf in charge - Gerry 'Hardwire' Blackstone - was so impressed by Kaitlynn's ability to fix up the drone that had been busted so many times that he offered the girls a job. Kaitlynn doing repair work, and Kathrynn as a bouncer/lifter of heavy objects. He even gave the girls a place to stay, just some cots in the storage space above the shop, but it was better than what they had.

Hardwire eventually discovered that Kaitlynn was piloting her drones with an old busted commlink - and after some examining the hacked together code and connections she made he realized that she had written an entire new way to pilot drones via commlink. A way that was way more user friendly and intuitive than anything on the market. Knowing opportunity when he sees it he quickly updated his drones to be compatible with Kaitlynn's software - and they started selling like crazy.

It didn't take long for the drones to attract some attention - one day a very well dressed elf with some very important documents stamped with an 'Ares Macrotechnology' logo arrived. The elf promised the twins and the dwarf things they could never have dreamed of - Official SINs for the girls, a nice upscale shop with an Ares Macrotechnology contract for Hardwire, and a full ride scholarship with a nice control rig implant for Kaitlynn... all for the low low price of 'Sign here, here, and here, initial here, date there'...

Now legal citizens, the twins had a new lease on life. Kathrynn enrolled herself in the Lone Star Academy, while Kaitlynn went off to school to pursue a Robotics Engineering degree... she quickly learned that life wasn't all roses just because you have a SIN, she faced major discrimination from here peers and teachers for being a troll in academics, and it eventually got out that her scholarship was paid for by a corp so that started a rumor that she was some corp exec's lovechild who got a free ride for keeping her mouth shut. Kaitlynn took it all in stride and tried her hardest, taking any extra credit activities offered to her - which were fairly slim.

One day Kaitlynn's dorm-mate, Chuck, insisted that she needed some air and having her nose stuck in a drone all the time was bad for her. So he forced her to come with him to practice. While there, an off kick sent a ball flying directly for Kaitlynn's head - until a young orc showing unnatural speed managed to jump up and grab it... and he ended up flying into Kaitlynn instead. Kaitlynn and the orc - Darius - actually hit it off, he was the first classmate Kaitlynn had that actually helped her to come out of her shell. So, when Darius mentioned that a new Biology extra credit program was looking for a driver and surveillance drone operator she jumped at the chance...

(Sorry it's so long, I'm not trying to be 'that guy' I just don't know how to write concisely I guess)
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:34 am

DistinctlyBenign wrote:Alright, this should be my finalized sheet/backstory barring changes to the system or any objections people have:

NAME:
Kaitlynn Mastersson

Looks good DB. I want to reemphasize to you and everyone that if you feel something in my hack doesn't make sense or doesn't work we can change it. I will first try and reexplain myself to make sure my concept is coming across right but this does not mean that you should not come back at me and say it still doesn't make sense or you feel it needs to be changed and why.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Fallout_Monkey
I am the story stick

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:26 am

I think I'm done as well. I was looking through the equiptment lists and grabbed a few things I felt needed to be mentioned but decided to not to fuss over little details. Didn't really want to shop, so hopefully if I need something we can do some sort of prepardness roll to see if I have it if not just say I have it.

Name
Darius Templar

High Concept
Ork Adept Athletic Rising Star

Trouble
"I'm more than just a jock!"

Other Aspects
Reads Everything
Old Fashioned Kind of Guy

Refresh 4

Skills
Academics +2
Athletics +3
Burglary +1
Computers
Contacts
Crafts
Deceive +1
Drive +2
Empathy +1
Fight +3
Investigate
Knowledge
Notice +2
Occult Lore +4
Pilot
Physique +5
Provoke
Rapport
Resources
Robotics
Shoot +2
Stealth +1
Will +3

Stunts (Used SR5 Adept powers as basis)
Adept 1 (I assume costs one stunt to become an adept?)
Adept: Eidetic Sense Memory
Adept: Physique Boost (Attribute Boost)
Adept: Mystic Armor
Adept: Improved Reflexes
Adept: Skate
Adept: Wall Running

Stunt Descriptions:
Eidetic Sense Memory
An adept with Eidetic Sense Memory is capable of memorizing all sensory input, including tastes, smells and textures in addition to the more traditional visual ability. The adept is capable of perfectly recalling any sensory stimulus, or combination thereof. The memories can be recalled at will. The adept also has the ability to photo-read, making it a great trick for those Awakened who like book clubs.

Physique Boost
Spend 1 fate point to gain a temporary +2 to Physique

Mystic Armor
This power protects you from physical attacks and also protects against damage you take in astral combat. This power reduces physical stress you suffer by 1 shift (cumulative with other armor, but not adding to encumbrance)

Improved Reflexes
This power increases the speed at which you react. +1 to defend with fight from melee attacks and athletics from ranged attacks when you are able to react to the attacks.

Skate
This power is a minor form of levitation that gives an adept the ability to run across a surface that she normally wouldn’t be able to, such as thin ice, a fragile structure, or water

Wall Running
You can run up sheer walls or other vertical surfaces a limited distance.

On Caper Gear:
Combat Axe - spring loaded thrusting point in handle
Baseball Bat
Shock gloves
Heavy Crossbow
Armour Clothing
Biker Helmet
Disposable Commlink
Subvocal Mic

At School Gear:
Lettered Jacket
Renraku Sensei Commlink
usually has 3 or 4 books on him

4 free build points
1 to Physique
3 for stunts

Background Bullet points:
-Came from a poor background, using a football scholarship to get a better education
-Is a Brown Belt in Karate
-Is a member of the campus D&D club
-Sophomore majoring in biology
-Aspirations to be a surgeon
-Friends with Kaitlynn
Check out my wife's book

Johann
Host

Postby Johann » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:25 am

DistinctlyBenign wrote:STUNTS:
Rigger - 2

I'm still trying to get a grip on Stunts. Is this 6 points in Stunts? Do you need the base "Rigger" before adding on the sublevels?

So, in my case, would I be looking at:

Stunts:

Magic
Magic: Summoning
Magic: Astral Projection
Magic: Spellcasting

Or does it need to be broken down further?

Magic
Magic: Summoning (Elementals)
Magic: Spellcasting (Healing)
Magic: Spellcasting (Bio-alteration)
Magic: Spellcasting (Energy)

Some sort of mix between the two? Something else entirely?

Sorry, I'm just trying to make sure that when I say my character is doing something I expect him to be able to do, he's mechanically able to do it.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:53 am

Johann wrote:
DistinctlyBenign wrote:STUNTS:
Rigger - 2

I'm still trying to get a grip on Stunts. Is this 6 points in Stunts? Do you need the base "Rigger" before adding on the sublevels?

So, in my case, would I be looking at:

Stunts:

Magic
Magic: Summoning
Magic: Spellcasting

Or does it need to be broken down further?

Magic
Magic: Summoning (Elementals)
Magic: Spellcasting (Healing)
Magic: Spellcasting (Bio-alteration)
Magic: Spellcasting (Energy)

Some sort of mix between the two? Something else entirely?

Sorry, I'm just trying to make sure that when I say my character is doing something I expect him to be able to do, he's mechanically able to do it.

Nothing to be sorry about.

In DB's case it takes a Rigger stunt to use Robotics to operate drones in general and he's at a plus one. The other Rigger stunts give him specialized drones and allow him to use robotics for specialized actions Shoot, Pilot, Stealth. It could be all one expensive Rigger stunt but it makes sense to break it down for clarity. He also put a lot of points in so he can have a lot of drones to chose from.

In your case your first example is close. A Magic: Summoning skill lets you use your Occult skill to take actions related summoning. You don't need an additional "Magic" stunt. If you wanted to go more granular like in your second list I'd say you would get a +1 to the different Spellcasting stunts and your Summoning stunt because you have chosen to narrow your capability.

If you wanted to combine all these into a single stunt (i.e.)Magic: Hermetic Magus of the Grey Tower you could. You'd just need to spell out the point cost and what it grants you.

PS DB for rigging you can operate a lot of drones at the same time without giving them commands every turn. There can be an automatic "holding pattern" function when you are not focused on operating every drone you have deployed. Future stunts could even define actions for that holding pattern.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:35 am

Fallout_Monkey wrote:Name
Darius Templar

High Concept
Ork Adept Athletic Rising Star

Looks good FM. Is there a reason your character has high occult? Is that his field of study or of particular interest? You don't have to justify it but I am curious.

Fallout_Monkey
I am the story stick

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:27 am

Yes, Darius is focused on studying magic and it applications to biology and medicine.
Check out my wife's book

Return to “Play By Post”